Canada Martin Short 360: worst film on property

Cmdr_Crimson

I really like the 2 Circles and 1 Half Vision theater films of World Showcase...It won't be long until they are hosted by Cartoon characters..

Rutt & Tuke for O'Canada
brotherbear-03.jpg

Mushu For Reflections of China
tmb-sq_character-mushu_launch_76aa58c9.jpeg

Lumiere & Cogsworth for Impressions De France..
lumiere-cogsworth4.png

All I hope for is they at least keep that updated version of Canada Your a Lifetime Journey with the update...

eliza61nyc

I think it's safe to say that you completely missed my big point.

My smaller point is that Short and the script in this attraction are painful and cringworthy.
The main point is why do we need ANY known to narrate in the first place.
My God the subject here is the splendors and sights of Canada, not a platform for a 2nd tier forgotten actor to embarrass us and attempt to dominate the attraction.

Why not? I like narration, nothing wrong with some play by play on what we are looking at. Would some other Canadian be preferable.

I like Ryan Reynolds and Seth Rogan. lol how about Captain Kirk? the original one,he's pretty funny in the hotel.com commercials

JIMINYCR

I think it's safe to say that you completely missed my big point.

My smaller point is that Short and the script in this attraction are painful and cringworthy.
The main point is why do we need ANY known to narrate in the first place.
My God the subject here is the splendors and sights of Canada, not a platform for a 2nd tier forgotten actor to embarrass us and attempt to dominate the attraction.

Guess I did miss it... but you certainly voiced your dislike of Short and wasnt clear that in making your point you were wanting us to respond to an actor-less film.... ( and the narration is less entertaining than standing in line at the Dept of Motor Vehicles.......head shaking bad. I was thinking Pauly Shore might be the most annoying "entertainer" but then here comes Martin Short.)
I do agree that we do not necessarily need an actor to promote a country.

Damon7777

Original Poster
Why not? I like narration, nothing wrong with some play by play on what we are looking at. Would some other Canadian be preferable.

Again, it's not the narration that hurts the attraction; it's the employment of a known(exasperrated by a horrific script and annoying delivery) who positions himself above and beyond the fair sights of Canada which distracts us.
You want a Short or a Bieber or a Lightfoot go rent 3 Amigos or download some songs.

Damon7777

Original Poster
True,
If I have to explain it, justify it then inherently it just doesn't work as comedy and weakens my credibility as a comedy critic.
Touche! You got me

Damon7777

Original Poster
The Judy Dench, Irons and Cronkite narration does not hurt Space Earth because those employments don't dominate the attraction----those 3 merely speak and don't make the attraction about themselves. Their contributions serve as appropriate enhancements by keeping our focus on the scenes and story if SE and not on Judy herself.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
IMO, it's... OK...

Not something I want to see every time I go to Epcot, but don't mind bringing newbies there.

It certainly needs to be plussed in some way to make it more repeatable. A higher definition, seamless projection would help. It would also help if the screens were taller... if they went lower to the ground and maybe even curve upward in a dome.

And much better music. From beginning to end. Especially the end...

Needs a new song. One that is... good.

Canada
You are far too vast and beautiful for words to ever really tell
Canada
Ten thousand dawns and sunsets I could see
And still not know you well

What treacle nonsense this is: You're unknowable, unspeakable, so, let me put it into words anyway!

"Dawns and sunsets" is not a prettier way of saying "days", you're just creating filler syllables. And your mixing references... it's "dawns and dusks" or "sunrises and sunsets," not "dawns and sunsets." And ten thousand of them is just 27 years.

The rest of the song isn't any better. It's the type of lyrics you'd find in a junior high school fine arts journal next to ink sketches of out of proportion dragons.

🙄

From thread discussing new movie for Canada...https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-movie-coming-epcots-canada-pavilion.951548/

The Empress Lilly

Sounds like you've come off the medication and are making up fake stories to push your anti booze agenda. Thanks for the laugh, as always your majesty!
Talk to some CM's. :)

The Judy Dench, Irons and Cronkite narration does not hurt Space Earth because those employments don't dominate the attraction----those 3 merely speak and don't make the attraction about themselves. Their contributions serve as appropriate enhancements by keeping our focus on the scenes and story if SE and not on Judy herself.
Hmm...me I already wish there'd be voice actors on rides, not celebs. The celeb slap-on diminishes the work of art as a work of intrinsic value in itself. It also pulls the spectator out of the world of the attraction and into the outside, the world of the celeb.

But all of that pales in comparison to that wave of celeb take-overs of EPCOT during the Epcotalypse decade. Ellen Degeneres, Eric Idle, Martin Short. It spoke of a Disney that was embarrassed of its own rides, of a Disney that looked down and talked down on and to its audience, of the worst generation of imagineers.

But to think that today we already count ourselves blessed that the attraction isn't converted into f&b space, as intended, nor taken over to vent IP.

The Empress Lilly

IMO, it's... OK...

Not something I want to see every time I go to Epcot, but don't mind bringing newbies there.

It certainly needs to be plussed in some way to make it more repeatable. A higher definition, seamless projection would help. It would also help if the screens were taller... if they went lower to the ground and maybe even curve upward in a dome.

And much better music. From beginning to end. Especially the end...

From thread discussing new movie for Canada...https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/new-movie-coming-epcots-canada-pavilion.951548/
Blasphemy. :facepalm:

Goofyernmost

Why do we need a known figure to tout Canada? To add credence?!

"good thing Short was here to tell me how wonderful the place is because if it were narrated by an unknown voice then there is no way I would ever visit"

People are just to dum I guess
I guess that the same question can be reworded to ask... Why not have a known figure to tout Canada. You personally don't like Martin Short, that is quite obvious, but, he is probably more qualified to "tout" Canada then some off the street narration by an unknown person. At least we know that this guy is Canadian, he is famous enough so that you know who he is where as if they were someone unknown to do the voice, all of Canada and the rest of the world except for his immediate family would be immediately wondering what credence he had. It is a good fit, it added a little humor to the movie and was very believable especially for a non-Canadian like myself that recognized his connection to the country.

Walt Disney1955

Okay, I am a Canadian. I like Short. He isn't anymore popular in Canada than he would be among any average American or any SNL or SCTV fans. Sometimes in Canada you forget a person is Canadian because they've been in the States for so long. Alex Trebek is Canadian. Jim Carrey is Canadian. Dan Aykroyd. Lorne Michaels. No kidding. But the guy was born and raised in Hamilton, Ontario so there is a bit of a feeling that he is still one of "us". He is just about as non-controversial as a celeb ever has been. Maybe that's why they used him, I don't know?

Does it cheapen it? I never thought it did until I read this thread. Compare it to France and China and the American Adventure and yes it is a little more cartoonish so to speak, but if you are a Canadian you are well aware of how Americans have perceived you and if it isn't hockey, Moose, Mounties, snow, igloos then even an American in general from Pennsylvania has no clue about their neighbors to the north.

So part of me is glad Short tells it like it is, for example Canada does have some pretty big cities. In a way, doesn't the China and France films need a bit of an update from 1982? China isn't a country that has lost any of its culture but France? That's all I was thinking about when I was watching it recently. You can still keep the same theme (a narrator no one knows of).

wdwfan4ver

In a way, doesn't the China and France films need a bit of an update from 1982? China isn't a country that has lost any of its culture but France? That's all I was thinking about when I was watching it recently. You can still keep the same theme (a narrator no one knows of).
China's film was updated in 2003. Disney changed the name of the film from Wonders of China to Reflections of China even.

I know at 2017 D23 that it was announced that China is getting a new film.

France is the only pavilion in world Showcase that still has its complete original 1982 film.

Last edited:

Paper straw fan

True,
If I have to explain it, justify it then inherently it just doesn't work as comedy and weakens my credibility as a comedy critic.
Touche! You got me

642792B4-85A5-47BD-92BD-06CD15BB6FA1.jpeg

I do like the Canada movie though. I mean it’s not comedic gold but his narration is fine and there’s at least some emotion behind the commentary- it doesn’t just seem like some mailed in performance for an easy check. Out of the movies it’s the most visually impressive to me. Sure it could use an HD facelift but so could all the pavilion movies.

They’ve already said there’s going to be an update though, if they keep Short I’m fine w it, someone who loves Canada, who grew up there-

Is Celene Dion here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom