Canada Day Trivia

castlecake

Original Poster
This Monday, July First, is Canada Day!!! Here are some Canadian trivia questions:

1) Winnie the Pooh was named after what Canadian city?

2) Canada Day was originaly called: A) Empire Day

B) Dominion Day

C) Britiana Day

D) its always been called Canada
Day

3) Who was Canada's first Prime Minister?

4) Who is Canada's current Prime Minister?

5) Who is Canada's Head of State: A) The Prime Minister

B) The Govenor General

C) The Queen

D) The Speaker of the House of Commons

6) Who appears on all of Canada's coins?

7) What colour are Canada's $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100 dollar bills?
(hint each one is different colour)

8) Which one of these inventions were not created by a canadian:

A) the paint roller

B) the telephone

C) Basketball

D) Ginger Ale

E) None of the above

F) all the above

9) Who was Canada's First Post Master General (Hint he is featured in Epcot's American Adventure)

10) How many provinces does Canada Have? how many Territories?

****************************BONUS*QUESTIONS****************************

*Canada is not a nation but a Dominion True? False?

** Who ever gets this one right is an honoury Canadian.... What colour is mainly featured on Canada Post Post boxes?

Answers will be posted Canada Day............

The Mom

Premium Member
1. I don't think he's named after any Canadian City.

2. Dominion Day

3. My first response was MacKenzie, but then I checked with my husband, and he thinks it was MacDonald. (he's better at remembering things, so I'd go with his answer)

4. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know!

5. Prime Minister?

6. Queen Elizabeth II

7. $5-blue $10- lavender $20- green I never saw anything larger than a $20; we were really poor! Can I get extra credit for saying the old $2 bills were a beigey-pink color? And the $2 coins are gold & silver colored? And TTC tokens are silver?
And that the dollar coins are called Loonies?

8. F

9. Yonge? Bloor? I don't know!

10. 10 Provinces and 2 Territories

Canada is a not a Domnion anymore.

I don't really remember what color the mailboxes were, but I don't recall their being terribly strange, so I'm going to guess that blue is the predominant color, just like in the US. Of course, I lived across from a post office, so I never used one. ;)

castlecake

Original Poster
Re: Re: Canada Day Trivia

Originally posted by The Mom
1. I don't think he's named after any Canadian City.

2. Dominion Day

3. My first response was MacKenzie, but then I checked with my husband, and he thinks it was MacDonald. (he's better at remembering things, so I'd go with his answer)

4. I'm embarrassed to say I don't know!

5. Prime Minister?

6. Queen Elizabeth II

7. $5-blue $10- lavender $20- green I never saw anything larger than a $20; we were really poor! Can I get extra credit for saying the old $2 bills were a beigey-pink color? And the $2 coins are gold & silver colored? And TTC tokens are silver?
And that the dollar coins are called Loonies?

8. F

9. Yonge? Bloor? I don't know!

10. 10 Provinces and 2 Territories

Canada is a not a Domnion anymore.

I don't really remember what color the mailboxes were, but I don't recall their being terribly strange, so I'm going to guess that blue is the predominant color, just like in the US. Of course, I lived across from a post office, so I never used one. ;)

1) nope, he is!

2)correct

3) Sir John A MacDonald

4) keep guessing

5) in-correct

6) Right >>> The Royal Canadian Mint is required, by law, to have the current Monarch on its coins ( she is also on the $20 and the now out out of production $1000 bill)

7) Correct!!!!!!! still need $50, & $100 Bonus points for knowing about the two dollar bill!!!!

8) Correct

9) Nope

10) partly right

BONUS Q's

My sources could be wrong but I believe were a Dominion.

Post Boxes are not blue...........

MORE QUESTIONS>>>>>>>

A) How many Female Prime Ministers has Canada had?

B) Which nightly U.S. news anchor is from Canada?

C) What nick-name does Canada's two dollar coin have?

D) What is Canada's Capital City

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Ok...I'll take a shot at this

6) Who appears on all of Canada's coins?

A: The whole crew from the "Kids in the Hall"?

10) How many provinces does Canada Have? how many Territories?

1. Back BaconVille
2. Alex Trebek Land
3. A-boot
4. Molson Ice Land
5. Labatt Blue Island
6. Ya, Hay, Dare

;)

The Mom

Premium Member
OK...quick question. Is the speaker of the House also the majority party leader? If so, he/she automatically becomes Prime Minister, so they are one and the same. The Queen is only involved symbolicly, and the governor-general is appointed by the Queen, with the Prime Minister's input. The Governor General appoints the cabinet, but again under advisement of the Prime Minister. Was this a trick question?

Maybe no one's really running the country! ;)

I'm afraid I haven't lived in Canada in over 20 years. Did they add another Province/Territory while I was away, or did Quebec finally "separate? "

I stand corrected! As long as Canada is still part of the Commonwealth (it is isn't it?) it's still a Dominion.

Maybe the mailboxes were camouflage green (white in winter), and that's why I never saw one!)

More Questions

A...one

B..Peter Jennings

C...probably something politically incorrect

D...Ottowa (although it SHOULD be Toronto..j/k ;))

castlecake

Original Poster
Originally posted by The Mom
OK...quick question. Is the speaker of the House also the majority party leader? If so, he/she automatically becomes Prime Minister, so they are one and the same. The Queen is only involved symbolicly, and the governor-general is appointed by the Queen, with the Prime Minister's input. The Governor General appoints the cabinet, but again under advisement of the Prime Minister. Was this a trick question?

No not a trick question. The Speaker of the House Of Commons is elected by members of the governing party in the House, The Prime Minister is the Party Leader that has the most seats in the house. Here is how Canada's Government is layed out:

The Crown (Queen)
The Govenor General
The Senate
The House Of Commons
Prime Minister

So to answer the Question, Canada is a Constitutional Monarchy, which means the Queen is Canada's head of state.

Maybe no one's really running the country! ;)

Sometimes it feels like it

I'm afraid I haven't lived in Canada in over 20 years. Did they add another Province/Territory while I was away, or did Quebec finally "separate? "

We have added a Territory, Quebec is still with us

I stand corrected! As long as Canada is still part of the Commonwealth (it is isn't it?) Yes it is it's still a Dominion.

Maybe the mailboxes were camouflage green (white in winter), and that's why I never saw one!) No not green........

More Questions

A...one

Right, Kim Campbell

B..Peter Jennings

Correct

C...probably something politically incorrect

It rhymes with loonie

D...Ottawa (although it SHOULD be Toronto..j/k ;))

Correct

***************************Some More Q's

These contests were banned from Canada in 1995

Mom you should know this>>>> What are the "Doughnut Holes" from Tim Horton's called?

what is the name of Canada's national anthem

The Mom

Premium Member
The national anthem is O Canada! (of course!)

Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise.
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee!

I only lived there for a year, and as I mentioned, I was too poor to buy doughnut holes! (I had to make a choice...pastries or beer...guess which one I chose? ;))

What contests were banned in 1995? I don't know. Do they have any contests up there? :D

And is it a Nunie? ( because of Nunavut?)

castlecake

Original Poster
Yeah, Vive le Canada!

The doughnut holes are called Timbits!

Beauty contests were banned in Canada in 1995.

the two dollar coin is called a toonie

DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO CANADA'S PRIME MINISTER IS!!!!!

Maria

Aren´t the provinces 11? and the new one is Nunnavit or something like that being the 12th? I can´t remember!

The mailboxes were red, no?

Ottawa is the capital.

I think all those inventions were canadian.

I´m trying to remember your Prime Minister´s name! :brick:

castlecake

Original Poster
Good Job Maria!

Yes the post boxes are red.

There are 10 provinces and 3 territories, the new one is called Nunavut.

All the inventions are Canadian.

**************We are still looking for........

What city Winnie the Pooh is named for.

What is the name of Canada's Prime Minister ( we have had the same one for almost 10 years now, it shouldnt be that hard )

What colour are the $50 and $100 bills

who was Canada's first Post-Master General HINT> His audio animitronic in The American Advnture set new standards for these robot figures.

Maria

Is he Jean Crêtien? :veryconfu

I´m afraid I´m showing my ignorance here... :( shame on me!

I also believe is Winnipeg...

Is Benjamin Franklin canadian too? It wouldn´t surprise me...

castlecake

Original Poster
Good job Maria, you are right, our Prime Minister is Jean Chretien.

Yes Winnie the Pooh is named for Winnipeg! The bear was owned by a Canadian soilder. When world war one begin he left the bear in the care of the London Zoo, where he was given the nick-name Winnie. And thats where Christopher-Robin comes in. He had a goose at his farm named pooh. C-R liked Winnie so much his Dad, A.A. Milne wrote stories about him.

Benjamin Franklin was American but lived in Canada for a couple years while being Post-Master.

Still looking for the 50 and 100$ bills.................

Maria

Yeay!! I´m not so ignorant!! :D

I have another question... how many are the "Thousand Islands" for real? (If anyone knows, I would like to know it too!)

As for the bills... it´s been a while since I don´t have canadian currency in my hands... :(

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!:king: Eh!

Maria

Originally posted by castlecake
Yes Winnie the Pooh is named for Winnipeg! The bear was owned by a Canadian soilder. When world war one begin he left the bear in the care of the London Zoo, where he was given the nick-name Winnie. And thats where Christopher-Robin comes in. He had a goose at his farm named pooh. C-R liked Winnie so much his Dad, A.A. Milne wrote stories about him.

So... how did he make it to the UK? :confused: :D

castlecake

Original Poster
Since Canada is under British rule, Canadian Soilders were posistioned in Britain, and thats where he had to part with Winnie :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom