Can you ESCAPE reality at WDW as an Adult?

DSNYKID

Original Poster
YES I CAN ESCAPE REALITY!

It's why I go whenever my wife let's me.

I never went to WDW as a kid. I was 29 years old the first time I went... and have been there 11 times since. Im 36 now.

For those of you like me... who never went as a kid... are you like me? And what about those that went as a kid, is it as much of an escape from you since you tie each visit to childhood memories? Thoughts?

scorp111

YES I CAN ESCAPE REALITY!

It's why I go whenever my wife let's me.

I never went to WDW as a kid. I was 29 years old the first time I went... and have been there 11 times since. Im 36 now.

For those of you like me... who never went as a kid... are you like me? And what about those that went as a kid, is it as much of an escape from you since you tie each visit to childhood memories? Thoughts?

I am in the same boat, I guess.

My first trip was 2 1/2 years ago when I was 30. I have now been 6 times since then, with two more trips planned in the six or seven months.

Absolute escapism!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Count me in as a late-onset Disneyphile! :lol:

I went with the DS5 for my first trip at age 41. I've taken him to WDW four times [once including DCL] and once to DLR. Between three weeks from now and 10 Feb '08 we're going four more times [maximizing our first APs].

I love the place! People think I'm just spoiling my son, but I'm actually spoiling me! He's just along for the ride! :D

mrtoad

I went all the time as a kid and almost as much as an adult.

As a kid my family went 10 straight years begining the year after WDW opened. Unfortunatly our life did have reality though and my parents had some issues and had gotten separated and eventully divorced. I did go once after that with my father a couple of years later but then due to their divorce I had a large gap in going to WDW and did not experience it again until my honeymoon in 1993. Since then my wife and I have gone 8 times together (9th coming up in a week). Of the 8 times 4 have been with my daughter all in the course of 3 years. Of the first 4 together, we have gone with my father, his wife and my younger brothers 2 times and 1 time my wife and I took my brothers with us. On our upcoming trip my mother is going with us and is her first trip there in 10 years and her first trip with me there in 24 years.

Sorry for the long explanation but for me WDW has held 3 different loves for me so far.

The first one was going with my family as a child. It was the one time a year where reality did not exist and was the best time we had together. To this day my father and I talk about those times all the time.

The second was going as an adult with my wife. She had only gone twice ever before, once as a baby and does not remember and the other as a teenager who did not want to be there with her family. For her it was like going the first time. For me it was a homecoming. I had not stepped foot in the MK in about 8 years. It was exciting and wonderful. The next two trips we went with others but had time to ourselves so still got to share the magic just her and I.

The 3rd has been as a parent which has been the most rewarding of all of the 3 ways. To see the joy in your childs eyes just has to be experienced, it is the best.

So for us as adults reality never hits us at WDW. Never. We do not leave the property. We do not bring laptops. One time we did but only to backup photos to. Now we have a portable burner that takes the media card right in it. We never watch regular TV while there except for the weather. We don't have outside contact except for the occasional call to or from my father to tell him what we are doing as he lives through it.

The only reality that you can say gets through is the occassional guest who acts rude or nasty. That is the only reality and once we can't avoid unfortunatly.

So go and escape it will do you good.

shurst

im 27, and my first trip was in 2004, with my wife and 6yr old daughter. it was awesome, like you said especially considering i never got the chance to experience as a kid. so now here i am grown, and acting like the biggest kid possible whenever i am able to go.lol, every since the commercial came out where the kid says he's too excited to sleep and then the father says the same. ive been compared to him since! i have only been twice and my third time will be in may 2007, the last time may 2006. i can honestly say that the entire year leading up to the trip i am almost unbareable on how much i talk about disney. its one of the greatest feelings, especially sharing it with family and doing something for them that me myself was unable to experience as a kid.

scorp111

Count me in as a late-onset Disneyphile! :lol:

I went with the DS5 for my first trip at age 41. I've taken him to WDW four times [once including DCL] and once to DLR. Between three weeks from now and 10 Feb '08 we're going four more times [maximizing our first APs].

I love the place! People think I'm just spoiling my son, but I'm actually spoiling me! He's just along for the ride! :D

Great Stuff!

We actually went to DLR last year and DLP in 2003 (that was my first trip to a Disney Park)

The 3rd has been as a parent which has been the most rewarding of all of the 3 ways. To see the joy in your childs eyes just has to be experienced, it is the best.

Agreed!!!!!

Last night my DD (3) were watching Fantasmic on the PC......actually brought tears to my eyes!

LeeLee D

I went to Disney for the first time in 1973. I was a toddler, so I don't remember.:) We went at least twice a year for most of my childhood.

WDW is still my favorite place to vacation and I easily forget the real world when I am there. One of the things I love about WDW is that I am a guest. During my time there (even if it's a day trip) I am free from all that may plague me in the real world and it is still the place where I am most relaxed.

wannabeBelle

Absolutely!!!! It is one of the few places in the world where Magical things happen all the time!!!!!!!!! I cant get enough of the World!!! Belle

mrtoad

Great Stuff!

We actually went to DLR last year and DLP in 2003 (that was my first trip to a Disney Park)

Agreed!!!!!

Last night my DD (3) were watching Fantasmic on the PC......actually brought tears to my eyes!

Tears are good. Don't let the stop.

Cindyrella

I am 35 and have been to WDW 17 times (soon to be 18!) My last 15 trips have been since 1999. IMHO, WDW is the only place to escape reality if only for a few days. ..

Launchpad

Account Suspended
Yep, some days I drive over there after work for just a few hours to escape reality and relax. I've been telling my friends back home, "To unwind you go see a movie or go bowling after work.... Me, I go to Disney World to catch fireworks and get a few rides in... as often as I want for no charge." :) It's nice living 8 minutes from our front door to the Welcome To Walt Disney World sign on 536. :sohappy:

aj_steig

I first went to Disney when I was very young and I have gone several times since then. One of my fondest memories as a kid was visiting EPCOT and seeing the Dreamfinder and Figment. My fiance never went as a kid, so he really doesn't understand the fascination with Disneyword (although I took him for the first time in January 06 and he had a great time!!) I am now 24 years old and it's still my favorite place in the world! So much so, that I am spending my honeymoon there in September!!:sohappy:

In response to your question, I still think it is one of the few places where I can escape as an adult. Can't really explain why or how, but it's amazing!

EthylCooper

I was 25 the first time I went, and I escape every single time. As soon as I walk under the train station and onto Main Street USA, I lose every problem I have. :)

ToTBellHop

Yep...it's one of the few places to escape reality. I've gone to Disney every year since I was 5...it's only gotten better and more exciting for me as I've gotten older and been able to plan more and more about our trips--the last trip, I planned entirely and it rocked. Unfortunately, 2007 may not hold a Disney trip...grad school may not leave enough money, so we are taking a cruise instead...maybe 2008!

Does it feel even more magical after two years away? I've never gone two years without a Disney trip...but I do get to see Mary Poppins on Broadway next month...maybe that little dose of Disney can carry me over?

shmmrname

Yes, you certainly can. That's probably why so many of us are hooked on WDW for life. I can't wait for my next escape, NOV just can't come fast enough...

davidpw97

For me, Disney isn't the only place I can go to escape reality but it is probably the best place. I have been going since before I was 2 years old and I am now 27 and still can't get enough of the place. After working there for 5 months as a CP, I thought I wouldn't want to go back for a few years but that feeling never lasts. Also when I know a Disney trip is coming up, I get just as excited I think as I did when I was younger and my parents are the same way. They have been going since before they had children and now in their 50's still enjoy it as much as they always have.

Captain Barbosa

I' ve been going to WDW from Dec. 26 - Jan 8ish every year since '98. I'm now 18 years old. We've gone for Easter the past 3 years too. WDW is absolutely amazing, I would not trade our vacations there for anything. We're actually trying to fit in 3 trips a year, I'm really hoping this happens. I definitely think children can enjoy WDW is a different way than adults. I can't really explain how it's different, though, it just is.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom