can they do this?

fosse76

It's an interesting question. It really depends on the laws that govern such rentals (if any). It does seem to preclude all sorts of non-gay couples. However, if you believe that it is bigoted, even if there is a law that would force the owners into compliance, I think its best to not give them any business.

*EDIT*

Ok, I looked up the FL statute. Technically, they could be violating the law. Since FL has no law protecting gay couples, the policy on its own wouldn't run afoul of the law if that is its purpose. However, as was pointed out by a poster, if I decided to go on vacation with my brother, or a samesex friend (non-sexual) this policy would be a clear violation of the FL civil rights statute. Though businesses under FL law have the right to refuse service to undesirable or objectional persons (which is up for debate as to the definition of those terms), the exception to the law is based on FL's civil rights code. They are discriminating based onsex. This is one of those situations where you may have to call to find out more specifically what they mean.

RebeccaMA

Sounds like they are discriminating against gay/lesbian couples and families to me too. I wouldn't rent from them either, even though I could. I'd just think they were icky people and not want to give them my money. There are plenty of other people/businesses out there to give my money too. And maybe someone with similar beliefs, who has no problem with rule #7 will rent from them knowing that those beds were never slept on by same ______ couples etc.

slappy magoo

Well that was...kinda vague.

The gist *I* got - for whatever it's worth - is that these homeowners probably aren't crazy about the idea of ANYONE doing "The Curly Shuffle" in their home. What they'd probably prefer is that only "traditional families" rent the place, logic being a mom and a dad will be too tired after a day of running after the kids throughout the parks to do anything but a kiss goodnight. :lol: The "same [gender]" exclusion could be geared towards gays or lesbians, but it could also be geared towards young single straight friends who might otherwise whoop it up all over their sheets. Either way it's also precluding same-gender relatives from renting (which seems like an odd group), AND assuming they won't get married couples who swing. My wife & I are light-years away from swingers, but if we were, I'd rent the joint just for the "honor" of doing "The Curly Shuffle" with central Florida's loosest. They wouldn't even believe what we'd do in every room of their home.

Of course, with the pictures I'd send them, they wouldn't have to imagine ANYTHING. :ROFLOL:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Well that was...kinda vague.

The gist *I* got - for whatever it's worth - is that these homeowners probably aren't crazy about the idea of ANYONE doing "The Curly Shuffle" in their home. What they'd probably prefer is that only "traditional families" rent the place, logic being a mom and a dad will be too tired after a day of running after the kids throughout the parks to do anything but a kiss goodnight. :lol: The "same [gender]" exclusion could be geared towards gays or lesbians, but it could also be geared towards young single straight friends who might otherwise whoop it up all over their sheets. Either way it's also precluding same-gender relatives from renting (which seems like an odd group), AND assuming they won't get married couples who swing. My wife & I are light-years away from swingers, but if we were, I'd rent the joint just for the "honor" of doing "The Curly Shuffle" with central Florida's loosest. They wouldn't even believe what we'd do in every room of their home.

Of course, with the pictures I'd send them, they wouldn't have to imagine ANYTHING. :ROFLOL:

What the heck is the "Curly Shuffle" ?

sbkline

It is a private home, they can do what they want.

While that may be true, in theory, in reality it's not that simple anymore due to Federal and State Civil Rights laws. For example, in theory, private workplaces can hire and fire (or refuse to hire) for any reason they want. However, Civil Rights laws prohibit them from including race, gender, religion, etc, among their reasons for firing or not hiring. So the question then becomes, is sexual orientation included in the Federal or State Civil rights codes that would prohibit discrimination against various types of people. If so, then even if they ARE a private home, then they would be prohibited by law from discriminating. Just as people always say that WDW is private property and as such, they can do what they want, set whatever rules they want, etc...which isn't actually true. Per Civil Rights laws, they can't choose to bar blacks from their property, for example.

And, of course, as someone else mentioned, it's kind of vague whether they're even referring specifically to same gender couple, or if they are referring to a roomful of Frat boys. Or, perhaps it's more intended towards gay couples, but in order to hide it a little, they worded it more generally to include all same gender parties (regardless of whether or not they are gay) so as not to receive bad press.

*begin rant* And, to interject my own opinion on the subject, I think those civil rights laws are a bunch of crap. My property is my property and it should be up to my sole discretion who I will or will not rent it to. If I don't like people with glasses, for example, and don't want them staying on my property, that should be my perogative and none of the government's friggin business. *end rant*

unkadug

*begin rant* And, to interject my own opinion on the subject, I think those civil rights laws are a bunch of crap. My property is my property and it should be up to my sole discretion who I will or will not rent it to. If I don't like people with glasses, for example, and don't want them staying on my property, that should be my perogative and none of the government's friggin business. *end rant*

But, what if your son grows up to wear glasses ?

DisneyGigi

Alot of the beaches that we stay at have the same rules.( in most you have to be a family and have to be 24 years of age or older) I think it is meant to keep out the partying, underaged crowds and I can totally understand that. I would not want my house trashed by partying spring breakers.

unkadug

I've never heard of it either - but if you use your imagination then all may become clear - remember this is a family orientated site and full explanations will probably constitute getting banned :animwink:
True...it was more of a rhetorical question. :lol:

kirst_al UK

I think folk are looking too far into this - i know for one centre parcs over here in the UK have a ruling similar however its nothing to do with gays or lesbians it stag and hen do's they're referring to...

:wave:

Philo

Just sounds like they are trying to stop groups of young adults from trashing the place. Remember that if you own it, having someone stay and not wash the dishes properly can be quite offensive - they are just playing on the safe side.

As others have said, Centre Parcs have a similar rule and when I was a student, many landlords refused to rent to a groups of men, you needed to be men and women or just women.

I would guess that if you called them and explained the situation they would bend the rules a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom