Can Spaceship Earth be converted to another ride?

Syrinxx

I must say I have always reacted negatively to the idea of changing SE whenever I have seen this type topic
BUT... the idea going fast up a similar spiral , slowing to view the animatronic scenes and then a "ToT" kind of plumett down the center !!
never saw that before. that could work!

and I bet they could do it for .......... $100,000 :drevil:

sorry I had to do that

TinkRBell427

Doesn't the ride mention the internet, or a form of it? What the heck is the whole last quarter of the ride talking about then?
:lookaroun
In my opinion things that are 21 years old are not outdated, mainly because I too was born in '82!! :lol:

But anyway, I still come to Epcot to ride Spaceship Earth. That's actually my first destination. Before I do anything in that park, I have to have my SE fix!
:hammer:

I guess I'm just a stubborn Taurus, but I would hate to see SE go.

````````````````````````````````````
Next WDW trip:
May 10-15, 2003 - Caribbean Beach
Just a week left:sohappy:

darthdarrel

Originally posted by CaptChris
Originally posted by DarkMeasures
Save spaceship Earth?

You want a ride that is so terribly outdated that it does not even mention the internet to be saved?

Exactly!

21 years ago, the year Epcot opened, I remember going with my grandfather to buy a new car.

The car was a brand new 1982 Ford LTD. He thought it was the greatest thing in the world. It had an AM/FM radio, vinyl seats, and an automatic overdrive transmission. The car was loaded by the standards of the the day. He thought this car was great! He was bragging to all of his friends what a great car it was.

Friends of Spaceship Earth, hear my cry!

The ride was good and exciting 20 years ago, like my grandfather's car. But people no longer come to Epcot to ride Spaceship Earth among other things. Disney needs to do something with Epcot including Spaceship Earth or the park that Walt said would "never be completed" will share its destiny with the ghost towns of the old west!
Why do things always"HAVE" to be updated? The Haunted Mansion has never had a "MAJOR" overhaul in the 30 years of it`s existance yet it remains the number one ride of Disney world, care to elaborate on that one?

Dayma

Original Poster
And then they have those magical Translating Videophone things instead.

Video Confrencing is close....he he.....

I think that people like myself love this ride since it is a "classic" and we are sick of classics getting destroyed. I am all for new stuff but at least keep some of the classics that we all grew to love.

ToTBellHop

Originally posted by Syrinxx
I must say I have always reacted negatively to the idea of changing SE whenever I have seen this type topic
BUT... the idea going fast up a similar spiral , slowing to view the animatronic scenes and then a "ToT" kind of plumett down the center !!
never saw that before. that could work!

and I bet they could do it for .......... $100,000 :drevil:

sorry I had to do that

More like $100,000,000.

TrevEG

What if they just updated the soundtrack and animatronics to include more up-to-date things.... such as the "internet" that everyone keeps bickering about? :p It wouldn't be the first time they've done this, right? Besides, isn't that last decent thrilling enough? C'mon... It goes backwards! :lol:

no2apprentice

Originally posted by DogsRule!
More like $100,000,000.
When this rumor first got posted, cost was the first thing that crossed my mind. Sometimes it can be more costly to remodel an existing structure, than to tear down and build back up. If this project happens, the construction details should be interesting.

mkepcotmgmak

Originally posted by darthdarrel
Why do things always"HAVE" to be updated? The Haunted Mansion has never had a "MAJOR" overhaul in the 30 years of it`s existance yet it remains the number one ride of Disney world, care to elaborate on that one?

you do have a point - but look at it this way...
the MK by itself makes up 40% of the revenue from the ENTIRE WDW property including DowntownDisney and all resorts/water parks and the three other theme parks - SO, the Haunted Mansion has WAY more visitation and IS considered to be a classic. now SE on the other hand, yes, it is a great classic to disney nuts, like us, but i bet most all people who have never ridden it/never been to wdw do not even know that there is a ride inside that big ole' ball.

I do hope that spaceship earth keeps the same ride system, and they build time racers somewhere else... and that SE could be redone to make it more interesting, because HONESTLY folks, this ride is boring, but I still ride it everytime I go. SE is out of date and needs some MAJOR touch ups... mainly because Epcot needs all the help it can get. if Epcot were THE PLACE TO BE, then you could leave spaceship earth just as it is, like the Jungle Cruise and Its a Small World - it would be an INSTANT CLASSIC:animwink:

Dizknee_Phreek

ok, my view, if you care to hear it. it would be a terrible idea to make this into a 'fast' ride. and not just because i love it and don't want to see it changed...but also because it would leave JIYI as the ONLY dark ride in FW (i'm not considering Land as a dark ride here)
mkepcotmgmak, you use the arguement that SE isn't an instantly recognizable classic for non-Disney nuts in comparison to the MK classics. in all honesty, the majority of people i know that have never gone to Disney has never heard of the MK 'classics' and therefore have no clue what i'm talking about when i mention them. they just recognize what's on tv around here, like 'the castle' and 'the ball', etc. believe it or not, the most popular 'classics' aren't popular to everyone. not even HM.
true, SSE does need a few updates. they could make it seem a little less documentary...but they can do that without making it fast-paced. fast doesn't always mean interesting. personally, i don't find SE boring. to be completely honest, and this doesn't have anything to do with fast-paced ride, but i find PotC less interesting than SE, but i still ride it. that's just me though.
i like SE just the way it is. and besides, why change it? if Project Gemini actually happens, and they change the name to Discoveryland or whatever, then SSE in its current form would fit in perfectly! if they change SE then they need to leave the name Furture World.
and the Saturn ring track thing does sound like it would look cool...ONLY if it weren't on SSE. you have just answered my ponder on if SSE could look any tackier on the outside. nice idea, and it would probably look cool if they could do it right, but in my personal opinion, it just wouldn't work. besides, it would be too much like TT.

ToTBellHop

The current Imagineers like building thrill rides--with Microsoft willing to give $100,000,000, it will most likely be a thrilling. The feeling is that Epcot needs a stronger thrill ride base, like the other three parks.

darthdarrel

The current Imagineers like building thrill rides--with Microsoft willing to give $100,000,000, it will most likely be a thrilling. The feeling is that Epcot needs a stronger thrill ride base, like the other three parks.
What thrill ride base?:confused: MGm has what? two? Magic kingdom has what? 1? and animal kingdom 2! :rolleyes:

ToTBellHop

What thrill ride base?:confused: MGm has what? two? Magic kingdom has what? 1? and animal kingdom 2! :rolleyes:

Don't play stupid with me...

Magic Kingdom--Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain

MGM--Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Star Tours

Animal Kingdom--DINOSAUR, Primeval Whirl!, Kali River Rapids, soon to be EVEREST

Epcot--Test Track (soon to be SPACE)

darthdarrel

Don't play stupid with me...

Magic Kingdom--Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, Thunder Mountain

MGM--Tower of Terror, Rock 'n' Roller Coaster, Star Tours

Animal Kingdom--DINOSAUR, Primeval Whirl!, Kali River Rapids, soon to be EVEREST

Epcot--Test Track (soon to be SPACE)
Well SOOORy I really don`t consider splash mountain to be a thrill ride being that it has 1 drop and thunder mountain isn`t really that fast and kali it`s just a water ride with no drops.

ToTBellHop

Well SOOORy I really don`t consider splash mountain to be a thrill ride being that it has 1 drop and thunder mountain isn`t really that fast and kali it`s just a water ride with no drops.

Apparently you have never ridden Splash Mountain, have you? It has four drops and is definitely a thrill ride. You have also never ridden Kali River Rapids, I see. It has a rather large drop. To use your own words, I think you are the first person I have ever heard say Splash, Thunder, and Kali are not thrill rides...you'll be telling me the Tower of Terror only has one drop and RnR goes 30 mph now, I suppose?:rolleyes:

Dayma

Original Poster
Epoct has 2 thrill rides MTM and TT which could end up being the best of all parks so dont tell me Epcot only has one. I would rather see The Living Seas updated then SSE or maybe add a another ride to one of the lands so that kids find the worlds more interesting......

On a side note update the Canada 360 video....its just HORRIBLE

Al

I hope that with the way the geodesic sphere (is that right?) is viewed as the main thing people associate with the park, that they don't cut back, and (hopefully) make it a truly amazing attraction. :D

Dayma

Original Poster
Forgot in my last post that Epcot has 3 thrill rides now! Body Wars, Test Track , Mission to Mars. Are you guys telling me that SSE is in dire need of an upgrade before Body Wars and the whole pavillion? It is a horrible pavillion im my opinion and we never even go to it....

CaptChris

Originally posted by blackride
For fun lets have an Al Gore animatronic inventing the internet.....lol

That in and of itself would probably sell enought tickets to pay for project Gemini!

In all seriousness. I enjoy Spaceship Earth, and I don't want anyone to think that I do not, but I think we all agree that something needs to be done to Epcot as a whole, and given the fact that Spaceship Earth is the park icon, that should be a good place to start.

What are everyone's thoughts on the magic wand on Spaceship Earth?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom