Can I get something like this at guest services?

sbkline

Original Poster
We're planning to visit in April, and it will be the first trip for our son, who will be almost 4 by that time. Naturally, we plan on giving him the speech about staying with us at all times and not running off. However, in the event that he does run off and get lost, I want to get some kind of thing for him to wear on his person with our cell phone numbers. Something to wear around his wrist, or on a lanyard from his neck, or some such thing. Do they offer anything like this at guest services? I was thinking of something in plain sight such that if he got lost, someone could easily see it and give us a call. But something that he can't easily tear off of his arm. And if they don't offer anything like that at guest services, what do the other parents here do to make sure you can be easily notified if someone finds your lost child?

Beccone

There is a company that's customizes temporary tattoos that lists your info in case your child gets lost. I was thinking about getting them for my kids because my 5 and 2 year olds love to wander.

disneygirl1

I have also seen bracelets that the kids can wear with your contact info on it. Sort of like the bands that you get in the hospital.

slappy magoo

There is a company that's customizes temporary tattoos that lists your info in case your child gets lost. I was thinking about getting them for my kids because my 5 and 2 year olds love to wander.

Heh, I was bout to suggest "wouldn't it be awesome if such a thing as a temporary tattoo with your info exists?"

The problem with things that can be attached to clothing is, if the worst case scenario happens and someone tries to take off with your child, it's something that an intelligent criminal might recognize and take off first thing. Something attached to the shoelaces? Take off the shoes or cut off the laces, give the kid something to make him or her sleepy, then walk out of the park singing a lullaby as if it were your own child fell asleep in your arms...

Even if a tattoo with your pertinent info can't be done, consider a long-lasting tattoo of ANYTHING, as long as a: You remember what it is, and b: it's something that can be found on a child's body without any invasion. For example, a spider web tattoo on the elbow. Something a lot of kids would think it cool to have on them for a week or two, and only requires a child to roll up his or her sleeve if someone is trying to abscond with them. Your child goes missing, you tell security first and foremost "he's got a spider-web tattoo on his right elbow." It's one thing to have ink with names and addresses on it, it's another to just have a symbol, one that a kidnapper might not think twice about. And if you really want to get high-concept/low-tech with your security, next to the tattoo, you write his name or your name or something important...but in invisible ink, the kind that only shows up under a UV or other specialized light. This way, if someone does try to take off with the child, but is stopped by security, and the kidnapper insists "This is my child," it would be a quick way to double-check the kid's identity while waiting for you to arrive from the other side of the park or wherever you might be.

DisneyJoe

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This link will give you quite a few options. Personally like the shoelace ones. They are not worn like a lanyard or bracelet and therefore your child is less likely to remove it. You will also want to teach him about the cast members. When you take him to the park walk up and talk to the first one you see. Point out the name tag and let him know that should he get lost a CM will take care of everything. All he has to do is walk up to a CM tell him/her that that his parents are lost and they will make it better.

http://www.kidsbmv.com/merch_results.asp?CatID=5

sbkline

Original Poster
Heh, I was bout to suggest "wouldn't it be awesome if such a thing as a temporary tattoo with your info exists?"

The problem with things that can be attached to clothing is, if the worst case scenario happens and someone tries to take off with your child, it's something that an intelligent criminal might recognize and take off first thing. Something attached to the shoelaces? Take off the shoes or cut off the laces, give the kid something to make him or her sleepy, then walk out of the park singing a lullaby as if it were your own child fell asleep in your arms...

Even if a tattoo with your pertinent info can't be done, consider a long-lasting tattoo of ANYTHING, as long as a: You remember what it is, and b: it's something that can be found on a child's body without any invasion. For example, a spider web tattoo on the elbow. Something a lot of kids would think it cool to have on them for a week or two, and only requires a child to roll up his or her sleeve if someone is trying to abscond with them. Your child goes missing, you tell security first and foremost "he's got a spider-web tattoo on his right elbow." It's one thing to have ink with names and addresses on it, it's another to just have a symbol, one that a kidnapper might not think twice about. And if you really want to get high-concept/low-tech with your security, next to the tattoo, you write his name or your name or something important...but in invisible ink, the kind that only shows up under a UV or other specialized light. This way, if someone does try to take off with the child, but is stopped by security, and the kidnapper insists "This is my child," it would be a quick way to double-check the kid's identity while waiting for you to arrive from the other side of the park or wherever you might be.

I must confess, I was thinking primarily of the scanario of the child wandering of and then looking up and not seeing Mommy and Daddy in sight. Rather than looking all over for the child, or going to guest sevices and waiting for someone to bring my child over, in the best case scenario, someone would see the child crying (whether a cast member or just another guest), ask what's wrong, see the phone numbers, whip out his cell phone, give me a call and we meet and get our child.

Although I know, even at WDW, kidnappings can take place, I figured the above mentioned scenario is by far the more likely and the one easiest to prepare for. But in addition to putting the contact info in case of that scenario, it may not be a bad idea to do as you suggest in the event that someone tries to make off with the child.

fireworkz

Another tip someone told me once, make sure you 'introduce' your child to a CM as you enter the parks, point out the name tag they wear and how they are wearing a costume. Someone even said it might be worth buying one of those souvenir CM-like name tags to remind them what it looks like. That way if they get lost, tell them to find a ride or store and locate a person with one of those tags on a costume.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
When pointing out CM name tags, be sure to say the CM tags are white. Guests can buy and wear similar oval name tags with coloured backgrounds [I know, Morgan and I both wear them]. While I happen to be a trustworthy stranger, not every adult wearing a coloured name tag necessarily is.

sbkline

Original Poster
This link will give you quite a few options. Personally like the shoelace ones. They are not worn like a lanyard or bracelet and therefore your child is less likely to remove it. You will also want to teach him about the cast members. When you take him to the park walk up and talk to the first one you see. Point out the name tag and let him know that should he get lost a CM will take care of everything. All he has to do is walk up to a CM tell him/her that that his parents are lost and they will make it better.

http://www.kidsbmv.com/merch_results.asp?CatID=5

Another tip someone told me once, make sure you 'introduce' your child to a CM as you enter the parks, point out the name tag they wear and how they are wearing a costume. Someone even said it might be worth buying one of those souvenir CM-like name tags to remind them what it looks like. That way if they get lost, tell them to find a ride or store and locate a person with one of those tags on a costume.

When pointing out CM name tags, be sure to say the CM tags are white. Guests can buy and wear similar oval name tags with coloured backgrounds [I know, Morgan and I both wear them]. While I happen to be a trustworthy stranger, not every adult wearing a coloured name tag necessarily is.

Ya, I forgot to mention in my post last night about what a good idea this is...and one that I had thought of as well. When we get to the park and encounter a CM, give my son the spiel about not wandering off, but IF he does, and gets lost, then find someone who is dressed like this individual. Of course, it didn't take me long to realize that CMs have all kinds of different uniforms depending on where they work in the park, so that is very good to know that they all have white nametags. At least it gives something in common for all CMs, whether they're dressed in FutureLand garb or FrontierLand garb.

GenerationX

One other thing you can do: have your son wear bright, solid color t-shirts. It's easier to spot him when you can scan an area for a solid orange blur. We first went to WDW when our sons were 2, 4, and 6. We had them in matching bright, solid color t-shirts everyday. Worked great for us.

Jessie&Buzz

I have Who's Shoes id tags for my kids. They velcro on their shoes. I also read somewhere that you should take a pic of your child every day so that you can show it if you get lost (kids never get lost. It's always us parents that do). This way the CM will know for sure what he/she was wearing. I know I don't always remember what color my kids have on.

http://www.whosshoesid.com/

mickey7879

We used this with our 15 month old on our last trip. One bracelet would last a few days. They also included a waterproof pen. You just write all the info you want on the inside and none of your info will show from the outside except for it to say "If lost, Look inside". It is also written in spanish.

http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-SMattey/-strse-3/Disposable-child-Id-bracelet,/Detail.bok

We bought a couple of packs since we weren't sure how many we'd need. They were the cheapest as far as the bracelets and shipping combined. I actually forgot to order these ahead of time, so I had them shipped to our hotel. They were waiting for us when we got there without any problems.

Hope this helps! Luckily we didn't get to see how well these worked, but did have someone comment on what a great idea it was.

sbkline

Original Poster
I have Who's Shoes id tags for my kids. They velcro on their shoes. I also read somewhere that you should take a pic of your child every day so that you can show it if you get lost (kids never get lost. It's always us parents that do). This way the CM will know for sure what he/she was wearing. I know I don't always remember what color my kids have on.

http://www.whosshoesid.com/

Good idea on the shoe ID tags and good idea on taking a picture everyday. I had not thought of that, although in my picture taking frenzy, I would probably end up doing that without even thinking of it anyway. :lol:

As for the part about "kids never get lost.", to each his own I guess, but I'll continue to refer to it as a lost child, not a lost parent. I've heard that argument before and it has always seemed rather silly to me. Sometimes children don't follow instuctions and wander off after being told not to. And they end up getting lost. Maybe the parent could have kept a better eye on the child, or maybe he couldn't have...sometimes a child bolts off before you can have a chance to stop him. Regardless of who is at fault, to me, it's still a lost child.

mickey7879

Disney calls them "lost parents" so they don't scare the child. They try to make it more fun and not scare them and get more info from them about how to find their lost mommy or daddy. It's not pointing who is at fault, it for the benefit of the child.

TwoTigersMom

Speaking as the mom of 2 heathens, both who have wandered off while at Disney, I now put a business card (any little note will do) in a buttoned or zipped pocket on them. Each morning that's the first thing we do as soon as they get their clothes on. They know that they are to go straight to a CM if they don't see us right away. If they happen to not be able to find a CM they are to go to a "Mommy" (a woman with a stroller or holding a child) and ask them to call me.

I, also, tought them, that if someone ever tried to take them, they are to yell as loudly as they can "YOU'RE NOT MY MOMMY!!" "YOU'RE NOT MY DADDY!!!" You always see children leaving the parks crying and usually think "Aww, they are so tired". If a child is screaming that someone is NOT mom or dad it will attract attention quickly. A couple of trips ago, I heard a little girl screaming over a mans shoulder and reaching out backwards. She was screaming for Mommy. A cast member walked by and I pointed her out, he went over and stopped the man before he could leave. The man assured him it was his daughter and mom was shopping, but the CM made him wait until mom came up and all was well.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
As for the part about "kids never get lost.", to each his own I guess, but I'll continue to refer to it as a lost child, not a lost parent. I've heard that argument before and it has always seemed rather silly to me. Sometimes children don't follow instuctions and wander off after being told not to. And they end up getting lost. Maybe the parent could have kept a better eye on the child, or maybe he couldn't have...sometimes a child bolts off before you can have a chance to stop him. Regardless of who is at fault, to me, it's still a lost child.
It's a bit of very good child psychology that Disney employs. While it may sound silly, a child who can't find their parents is very traumatized and will not think rationally. Combine that with fear of getting yelled at when the parents do find them [because they "didn't follow instructions" or wandered of "after being told not to"] and suddenly you have a child who has a very difficult time providing useful information to assist in finding their parents. By making it about the parents' being lost, it reduces the angst [not eliminates] and allows some communication.

The other thing to keep in mind as a parent is that WDW is a huge sensory overload for a child, expecting any child to remember instructions and follow rules perfectly is unrealistic. The distractions are easily overwhelming. Keep the instructions simple and the rules to a minimum and be vigilant.

My son Morgan was carried or held my hand constantly when he first went at five. After a while he was too big to carry, but still religiously held my hand in WDW until he was 12. Given that the "hand" he held onto has no fingers, so he could easily take off on a whim and never did, makes it all the more impressive that he did so. Since then, he carries a cell phone and if we separate on purpose or by accident we can reach each other.

In all the trips we've made, we've only been separated once and it was in Mouse Gear at EPCOT. He was sitting on a counter at the cashiers happily chatting with a CM when I arrived. The only reason there was any time delay in our reunion was he went to the big set of cashiers while I went to the nearest. One radioed the other and I was there within two minutes of our separation. If I had taken a minute or two longer, he'd have had a date set up for me with the CM, as it was she was effusive in her praise of how brave [and cute] he was! :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom