Cameron has given the OK ...

jdmdisney99

I would agree... sort of. I feel like I have to wait for the plans on both Carsland and Avatarland before deciding if TDWC is truly moving forward or still skating by (relatively speaking). It is really exciting to see they are going to build new lands. I mean that. But at the same time, I worry a bit because WDW tends to do things on the cheap (again relatively speaking). Two rides where one is a clone of another ride just a few minutes a way worries me a bit. I would rather see the "zoo" and the bike coaster or at least the soarin' clone and the bike coaster than just the "zoo" and the soarin' clone. If that's their big E ticket (which I won't be surprised if it is), I'll at least find it disappointing. WDI is better than that and WDW deserves better than that. I wish they had "splurged" for three... I think that was the way they would make Avatarland a slam dunk. With two rides, I'm not so sure. I guess we shall see. But yes, ParentsOf4, should this all really pan out, I will at least concede they are waking up the problems they have. Now only if they'd fix Splash Mountain... ;)
But you can eat Pandorish food! :D

Magenta Panther

(channeling Scar): "Oh, goody..." :rolleyes:

I can't believe that TDO really believes that this thing is going to help AK. An attraction based on a NON-DISNEY MOVIE that doesn't even have the proven longevity of other non-Disney attractions like Star Tours and Indy. ONE MOVIE of the franchise has been made. What if the other movies are duds? Not unheard of. Since about 98% of Avatar's appeal was the eye candy (no memorable characters, a boring preachy storyline), there is nothing to guarantee that the appeal of the film was but the appeal of a moment. So TDO and that lunkhead Iger could be blowing huge wads of cash on a flash-in-the-pan. Brilliant! Meanwhile: broken Yeti, rides that deserve major upgrades go begging, Disney creations that could become wonderful new attractions lay moldering in the Vault.

I imagine that if Universal were at all concerned about this, it'd be laughing its collective corporate head off. People are much more interested in hearing about Potter 2.0, including THIS people. To sum up: this really really SUCKS.

twebber55

I can't believe that TDO really believes that this thing is going to help AK. An attraction based on a NON-DISNEY MOVIE that doesn't even have the proven longevity of other non-Disney attractions like Star Tours and Indy. ONE MOVIE of the franchise has been made. What if the other movies are duds? Not unheard of. Since about 98% of Avatar's appeal was the eye candy (no memorable characters, a boring preachy storyline), there is nothing to guarantee that the appeal of the film was but the appeal of a moment. So TDO and that lunkhead Iger could be blowing huge wads of cash on a flash-in-the-pan. Brilliant! Meanwhile: broken Yeti, rides that deserve major upgrades go begging, Disney creations that could become wonderful new attractions lay moldering in the Vault.

I imagine that if Universal were at all concerned about this, it'd be laughing its collective corporate head off. People are much more interested in hearing about Potter 2.0, including THIS people. To sum up: this really really SUCKS.
you forgot IMO

MoxHair

I'm happy that's it's looking like this project is moving forwards. The parks are getting very stale and additions and changes are needed. My one problem is I am probably the only person who dislikes Soarin' and the idea of a Pandora version just makes me uneasy.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

74' is certainly reliable and I trust him/his sources but even with Cameron giving the purported "ok," this is no way confirms that the thing will get built. Projects have been given the green light before and still haven't been built. I probably will still choose to remain a bit skeptical until I start seeing steel beams rising. Sorry Georgia, not trying to burst the bubble because I feel excited too... but to ask that speculation be put to bed...it still might be a tad premature.

Wasn't questioning '74's creditability, he has proven himself in the past. I wouldn't say excited, just more...relieved? If that makes sense? Maybe not the right word choice. In knowing that at least something will be happening, anyway...what still remains to be seen. Like Lee said a while back, there were no back-up plans for that area if Pandora fell through. So the idea that it's moving forward after mired for so long is interesting. Especially when some on here are clamoring for Mysterious Island or other replacement projects for that area. I know the company's history in making announcements and then them falling through...but this is at least the step in the right direction, in my opinion.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's still not a done deal until they start construction....even then...look at Pleasure Island...plans can and do change.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
There is only one down side to this.......hearing jt beating on his chest telling us all...........told ya so.
The agony.....uggggggggg

Sadly, if this actually does happen, there will be contingent of people who will try to use it to discredit the insiders around here who said it might not happen.

WDW1974

Original Poster
Wow -- thanks for the update. I know Avatar isn't the most popular topic, and it certainly wouldn't be my first choice... but at the same time, I think this has some real potential. And, hey, not a clone.

My only deep thoughts on it (and, in keeping my source's job safe and secure) would simply be that if Cameron signed off on it, then it will look good and be quality (whether it fits DAK and belongs there is still something I don't agree with) ... and that, like everything ever proposed by WDI, this could have been even better.

Also, they apparently want to get this started as soon as possible as they know they have lost the PR war and even the fanboi battle with UNI and they are desperate to get the word out that something BIG, something of substance is coming to WDW ...

bubbles1812

LOL. I was waiting for you to post Panther. While I don't dislike the concept of Avatar the way others do, you actually make some good points. No, not the one about it being Non Disney...sorry, I find your shtick on that old. Anyways... you do make a good point about the storyline being fairly generic and the characters just as much so. But the world of Pandora itself was memorable. I think that's what Disney is going to really have to emphasize more than anything else to make the area a success. It's the only way. Because no matter what the next two movies are like (and you are right they could fail... I don't think they will but I don't think they'll make as much as the first one either), at least the world was pretty amazing. That and forking over the money to do the land right, which is why I will be curious to see what the budget is. I don't think 400 million will cut it and only two rides will cut it, but again, I'll wait to see the plans before passing judgment. You are also right that Potter 2.0 probably does/will have the bigger appeal, which is again why Disney needs to take the "go big" stance when it comes to this land. I sincerely hope they do because i think it could be great if they take that attitude.

I do hope they do fix the yeti, upgrade the rides that need upgrading, and yes even use Disney creations to make rides... but I think Avatarland can still be built even while doing that. :) If Disney is willing that is.

twebber55

My only deep thoughts on it (and, in keeping my source's job safe and secure) would simply be that if Cameron signed off on it, then it will look good and be quality (whether it fits DAK and belongs there is still something I don't agree with) ... and that, like everything ever proposed by WDI, this could have been even better.

Also, they apparently want to get this started as soon as possible as they know they have lost the PR war and even the fanboi battle with UNI and they are desperate to get the word out that something BIG, something of substance is coming to WDW ...
do you take that as..at least a decent starting point?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom