Cameras,What kind do you use to capture the memories of disney?

DisneyMemories

Original Poster
I'm in the process of buying a camera or a camcorder,but i'm having a hard time deciding on which one or what kind to buy,so l thought i'd ask you my fellow disney friends on what kind of cameras you use in the parks to capture your disney memories? (1.) Regular 35mm film camera, (2.) Digital camera , (3.) Camcorders that are able to record stills? I also love to know what models everyones using of camcorders,cameras and their final results in sound or picture quality and what to avoid. If I decide to go with a digital camera i'd like something with a 4-5 maga pix and a long but good zoom for far away shots. I thought this make a interesting thread in general and to save my poor back from carring lots of unnessary camera supplys during a upcoming visit to disney.

Atta83

Lets see I love the camera I have right now. I have a camcorder that can take digital pics as well. And if my memory stick runs out all I have to do is film what I want for a few seconds. Then empty my memory stick put it back in teh camera and run the tape, i go back and take pics of what i want from the film. Its pretty neat acutally :)

pisco

I don't know what your timeframe or budget are like but this looks like a pretty good all-around solution.

If you are looking to buy something right I way I would recommend a digital still camera over film. It's always nice to go back to the room at the end of the day and look over all your pictures (and delete any bad ones). That way if you missed a pic you really wanted to get you have the chance to go back and try it again. Also you don't wind up getting back (and paying for) a lot of prints that didn't turn out.

As for big zoom digital cameras, Konica Minolta has a nice 10X zoom model, as do Canon, and Nikon. Your best bet is to check out www.DPReview.com. The have the most comprehensive reviews on the market and great forums for talking to owners of any camera you might be interested in.

Good luck. I know it can be overwhelming to try and narrow down the options from everything that is out there.

PhotoDave219

DisneyMemories said:
I'm in the process of buying a camera or a camcorder,but i'm having a hard time deciding on which one or what kind to buy,so l thought i'd ask you my fellow disney friends on what kind of cameras you use in the parks to capture your disney memories? (1.) Regular 35mm film camera, (2.) Digital camera , (3.) Camcorders that are able to record stills? I also love to know what models everyones using of camcorders,cameras and their final results in sound or picture quality and what to avoid. If I decide to go with a digital camera i'd like something with a 4-5 maga pix and a long but good zoom for far away shots. I thought this make a interesting thread in general and to save my poor back from carring lots of unnessary camera supplys during a upcoming visit to disney.
Well, as Donickco can attest, somedays i look like a pack mule in the parks.

I have used an F100 for film and a D1x for Digital. (Both Nikon)

It really all depends on who is behind the camera, when all said and done. Donicko used to get amazing stuff from a little Sony V1 before moving up to a DSLR.

One thing about camera and the like... You will get what you pay for. While it may seem like an incredible buy, it may not be all that.

MickeyLuv'r

defintiely digital!

Our Kodak is high res, and easy to use. Plus the Kodak software is easy to use too. The only thing it lacks is great zoom. It has some, but not great compared to other 5.0megapixel cams. But the price was great compared to the other cams we saw. Ours also has a video feature.

Before that I used disposible cameras - they take decent pics, and you won't be upset if it breaks, you lose it or it gets dropped from a ride. Nobody's going to steal it.

Nemmy

Digital

For $700, a great camera is the Olympus C4040. You have 7.5 zoom, 4.1 megapixels, you can take 5 different sized pictures in color, black and white, or sepia (shades of brown), and you can also take movies at 32 seconds for a big one, and about 150 seconds for a small one.

DisneyMemories

Original Poster
PhotoDave219 said:
Well, as Donickco can attest, somedays i look like a pack mule in the parks.

I have used an F100 for film and a D1x for Digital. (Both Nikon)

It really all depends on who is behind the camera, when all said and done. Donicko used to get amazing stuff from a little Sony V1 before moving up to a DSLR.

One thing about camera and the like... You will get what you pay for. While it may seem like an incredible buy, it may not be all that.
Well I have two Nikon SLR cameras (N65,N75) 35mm,and l use them when l do weddings and or special events. Plus in my camera bag i've got a high speed light/flash,a 80-300mm zoom lense,rolls and rolls of ISO 800 kodak film,and tripod so l know the pack mule feeling,but since a auto accident l try to not carry so much,due to back prolems :cry: and me not being totally sold on digital, l thought i'd be willing to give it a shot to save on time and space,besides saving my poor back. I want a Digital SLR style and looking at the konica-minolta dimage Z-3,kodak easyshare DX7590,AND was looking at the Samsung SCD6040 camcorder digital camera combo. So hating to give my film cameras a rest,and being into photography as much as l am, l'm looking for whats great or the money and what most people use and without holding myself and others up at disney security stations. The least amount to carry the better,while still having good equiptment for great pictures. Thank you everyone who shares on this thread.

celticdog

I've been using the Nikon FM-10 35mm SLR for set-up shots and a Canon Sure Shot point and shoot for quick shots. The Nikon works great for landscapes, stills and fireworks, while the Canon is for those quick action shots. I also take some b/w pictures. They give a completely different feel to WDW. Try taking some b/w pictures and when you look at them you'll understand what i mean.

I personally don't recommend the Nikon FM-10 for the novice photographer. This is a completely manual camera. It has batteries for a very minimal light meter, however I can take the batteries out and still shoot pictures. If you decide to go 35mm i recommend a more automatic camera.

PhotoDave219

DisneyMemories said:
Well I have two Nikon SLR cameras (N65,N75) 35mm,and l use them when l do weddings and or special events. Plus in my camera bag i've got a high speed light/flash,a 80-300mm zoom lense,rolls and rolls of ISO 800 kodak film,and tripod so l know the pack mule feeling,but since a auto accident l try to not carry so much,due to back prolems :cry: and me not being totally sold on digital, l thought i'd be willing to give it a shot to save on time and space,besides saving my poor back. I want a Digital SLR style and looking at the konica-minolta dimage Z-3,kodak easyshare DX7590,AND was looking at the Samsung SCD6040 camcorder digital camera combo. So hating to give my film cameras a rest,and being into photography as much as l am, l'm looking for whats great or the money and what most people use and without holding myself and others up at disney security stations. The least amount to carry the better,while still having good equiptment for great pictures. Thank you everyone who shares on this thread.

If you have Nikon Lenses, go for somethign with a nikon Mount like the fuji S2 or S3 or the D70.

As for security, i dont hold up anyone, mainly because i have most everythign unzipped before i get there....

K-dub

I use a SonyDSC V1. It takes great photos but the 4X Optical zoom is abit disappointing.

My brother has an Olympus with great Optical zoom but he lusts after my Sony's ability to get great true-to-life color from it's onboard software.

Different Cameras have different benefits.

Buy the most "Optical Zoom" you can afford and don't be fooled by big "digital zoom" numbers. Digital zoom is mostly a gimmick of taking the image and manipulating it's pixels to appear "zoomed in" while degrading it's quality.

Some of the Digital Camcorders have great Optical zoom capabilities and still can do stills. One of these would be nice for the parks!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
but the average digital camcorder has no more than 670k pixels (that's 2/3mp... two-thirds of a megapixel).

CMWannabe

I have a Panasonic SV-AV20, combines both video & stills and fits in your pocket. The guys at innoventions were amazed with it last time I was there.

EpcoTim

I use a Canon system. Film, BW mainly, but a lot of slide work also. I have an EOS 3 with an Elan 7n as a back up, but the 7 usually comes along with me. For that system I've got a 100mm, a couple of 50mm, a 24mm and a fisheye, plus a few random zooms that I rarely use.

I also have an old K1000 Pentax, which is a great camera, I just don't have the lenses I want for it.

DisneyMemories

Original Poster
So in other words digital camcorders are not a great idea if you want to get digital stills from home movies then? Thats also very interesting that the bigger the bigger the opticial zoom the clarity gets kinda worse if l read correctly,didn't know that about digital zooms. Again thanks to everyone,i'm still undecided on what to buy and hope to see a few more reports yet before l really decide whats best. Keep the suggestions coming,and again thanks for the info.

SewIn2Disney

Nikon CoolPix cameras are the best. They have an entire line of them so you can choose the features and price range you want.
http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=2
(scroll down a bit to get to the CoolPix)

I started with the 2200 (they used to have one's below that) and i'm now looking to upgrade to either the 4300 or 4800. They have scene assist modes (fireworks!) can take short video's, and since it's Nikon, you have a great lense, which means great photographs! I've talked many people into buying this camera, and so far everyone loves it!
It's easy, fool proof, lightweight, and fun!

speck76

I just bought a Panasonic FZ3 , which I really am enjoying (previously, I had a crappy point and click with no optical zoom and no manual settings). It seems to be a good camera, especially for the price ($379ish). It has a 12x optical zoom, along with full manual capabilities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom