Calls to Retheme Pinnochio's Daring Journey

mickEblu

It's possible BUT I still believe in my statement. Feels like society in general is trying to over correct...some things need it, but feels like it's too much now.

We are in an era of massive OVER correction. Think every single movie with the same female is the hero and can do everything that men can tropes. Look at last few Disney movies in just the past few years.

Rey is main protagonist in the sequel trilogy effectively taking Luke Skywalkers place

Moana

Toy Story 4- Now Lil Bo Peep is Indiana Jones.

Frozen and Frozen 2 - Elsa don’t need no man. Although I do like the true love between sisters breaking the curse as opposed to some dude you never met.

Incredibles 2- Mom- Elastigirl goes back to work and is the better super hero while Dad stays home with the kids.

In and of themselves I don’t have any problems with these movies (Except for maybe the 180 on Bo Peep) but it gets annoying when you step back and see what’s happening as a whole. I can’t wait til we get through this era and all our sins of the past are erased by banging us over the head with these “corrections” and then maybe we can get to a place of balance.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We are in an era of massive OVER correction. Think every single movie with the same female is the hero and can do everything that men can tropes. Look at last few Disney movies in just the past few years.

Rey main protagonist in the sequel trilogy effectively taking Luke Skywalkers place

Moana

Toy Story 4- Now Lil Bo Peep is Indiana Jones.

Frozen and Frozen 2 - Elsa don’t need no man. Although I do like the true love between sisters breaking the curse as opposed to some dude you never met.

Incredibles 2- Mom- Elastigirl goes back to work and is the better super hero wile Dad stays home with the kids.
We're also in an era of major trolling. So I wouldn't automatically jump to this conclusion just yet. I know its a sensitive subject for some when it comes to changes around the Parks. But that is the point of these trolls, to get a massive rise out of a group of Park fans. So I say we calm down a bit here and ride this thing out. It may end up being a whole big nothing burger.

mickEblu

We're also in an era of major trolling. So I wouldn't automatically jump to this conclusion just yet. I know its a sensitive subject for some when it comes to changes around the Parks. But that is the point of these trolls, to get a massive rise out of a group of Park fans. So I say we calm down a bit here and ride this thing out. It may end up being a whole big nothing burger.

Im not worried about Pinocchio. I’m worried about the country.

TP2000

And here we go, down the slippery slope of cancel culture and removal. There are now dozens of Disneyland rides and shows at risk of removal using this benchmark.

This probably started as a joke, but now its gaining traction. A quick Google search just now already completed my search query as I started to type "Pinocchio Child Slavery".

Just this image alone from the Disneyland ride is enough to get the Twitter mob going...

Ec_PqiEUwAAcAfQ

TP2000

So left-overs from IASW end up in Pinocchio?

Apparently.

You don't hear the phrase "white slavers" much anymore, but it was something you could hear in conversation in the 20th century (usually jokingly, but sometimes seriously as a euphemism for the illicit sex trade). The Pinocchio story makes references to the white slave trade, although it gets blurry once the kids start turning into donkeys and are sent to work in salt mines. 🤣

The 3 minute long ride at Disneyland makes very little sense unless you've seen the movie, so the cage imagery used in the ride is ripe for a Twitter storm.

Stevek

Twitter isn't a news source. People writing into ITM isn't a news source. No one, legitimately no one, is calling for Pinocchio to be re-themed. Let's get that out of the way before anti-cancel crowd finds this thread.
Yeah, ITM was ok when Ricky was running it (can't believe I'm saying that) but they are laughable now. They'll post anything for clicks.

cmwade77

Aren't these structures housing the dark rides grandfathered anyway, meaning they couldn't do anything dramatic with the rides anyway, even if they wanted to, without tearing down the whole structure (Snow White ride and all) and rebuilding from scratch? At best, they would have to settle for just lightening the tone, like the nearby Snow White ride.

And yet I ignored the people clamoring for Splash Mountain's change as just rumor-mongers, until I saw that Disney itself broke the news about it. So now, I frankly don't know what to believe anymore.
The buildings themselves wouldn't be an issue, the queues would have to be reworked to be fully ADA compliant with any major change.

Brer Panther

Disney regularly comes under pressure from all sorts of special interest groups all the time and doesn't cave in.

Calling Disney "cowardly" because they acquiesced on one thing, which had already been an acknowledged embarrassment for them, isn't fair to Disney at all.
Disney won't even build attractions not based on IPs anymore because they think people don't like IP-less rides. They don't make hand-drawn movies anymore because the most recent hand-drawn movies (including the very movie that they suddenly did a 180 on because it fits their agenda) flopped, conveniently ignoring that maybe the reason they flopped is because they put them up against big blockbuster films like Harry Potter sequels and Avatar. It's their cowardice that caused Song of the South to become such a despised movie in the first place - if they'd simply released it on DVD sometime before the 2010s (or even the 2000s, I don't know) it likely wouldn't be the big crazy "it's so racist that it's been banned!" enigma to all. I'm not saying that the film isn't racist, but the Indians from Peter Pan are pretty racist too, yet that film wasn't banned so people focus on the NON-RACIST elements of the film. This is what pre-Iger Disney was trying to do with Splash Mountain, focus on the stuff from the film that WASN'T racist (the animated characters and songs) to make a great ride out of it.

Today's Disney is one of the most cowardly companies in existence. doesn't give a rat's tail about being progressive. All they care about are their image and making money. The company is soulless.

Instead of replacing the ride, why not just take that particular doll out?

Phroobar

Apparently.

You don't hear the phrase "white slavers" much anymore, but it was something you could hear in conversation in the 20th century (usually jokingly, but sometimes seriously as a euphemism for the illicit sex trade). The Pinocchio story makes references to the white slave trade, although it gets blurry once the kids start turning into donkeys and are sent to work in salt mines. 🤣

The 3 minute long ride at Disneyland makes very little sense unless you've seen the movie, so the cage imagery used in the ride is ripe for a Twitter storm.
The only time I've heard of "white slavers" was George Lucas referring to Disney.

Last edited:

SplashGhost

This is inanely stupid, the dark elements of the story and the ride are what make it work so well. Not everything in life is always happy and perfect. The darkness is necessary for the narrative of the attraction to have the emotional impact that it is going for.

Even if the Splash retheme was happening regardless of what happened on Twitter, I knew people would be asking for more changes like this since the announcement made it look like Disney caved. I say, if you don't like something, don't ride it. Just because someone doesn't like something, they don't have to ruin it for everyone that does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom