Calls to Retheme Pinnochio's Daring Journey

John park hopper

Afraid of clowns so don't ride it problem solved, just like SM don't like the theme don't ride it. Nasty dirty rodents scare me get rid of Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse (sarcasm) Disney give an inch and they will want the whole thing.

Brer Panther

Considering how cowardly Disney is, I wouldn't be surprised if they DID retheme it to satisfy these people. Honestly, I'm amazed that these schmucks haven't started demanding that Mr. Toad's Wild Ride be rethemed too.

Of course, in today's milieu of financial restraint, rethemes and revamps are at the bottom of the to-do list unless absolutely necessary.
That's not stopping them from retheming Splash Mountain. I know, I know, Song of the South is racist ergo Splash Mountain is racist because it's based on the film despite the fact that none of the things in Song of the South that are considered racist are actually in the film and I never heard anybody claim the ride was offensive until Frederick Chambers posted his idea for a retheme on Twitter...

Figments Friend

I really like this dark ride.
The 'Pleasure Island' segment is especially fun.....

Seriously, i look forward to riding this a couple of times at least during a visit to Disneyland.
I do enjoy these 'traditional' Attractions quite a bit.
Plus 'Pinocchio' is my favorite Disney animated film.

:)

-

mharrington

Not quite how it works. There is no requirement for demolition and there are different levels of renovation. They very much could replace the ride if desired.

But they would still have to contend with OSHA. They would have to do things to more modern standards than probably 30 years ago. If they demo'd the Pinocchio section, they would have to demo everything around it, including the Snow White ride, which is being renovated, and I don't think they would be so foolish as to do that. My guess is that at best, the ride would simply get an improvement in tone like with Snow White, but they could not physically redo the track or structures too much. I thought the structure, all of it, was grandfathered.

Also, I thought that the Splash Mountain overhaul demand was just clickbait as well, until it wasn't when Disney announced the plans to change it. Sure, they said they had plans to do so for a year, but it couldn't be a coincidence that they would wait until now to unveil them, could it?

Last edited:

mharrington

The thought of someone complaining about Pinocchio because it “makes them uncomfortable” is just too laughable to take seriously. You know what makes me uncomfortable? Tomorrowland portraying mass transit’s future as a rotting heap of trash!

How many thought that the idea of redoing Splash Mountain was too laughable to be taken seriously until Disney announced it?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They could make it a Tangled ride, oh wait that has parental abuse as well.

Bambi? Oh wait that might trigger victims of gun violence.

Moana? Oh wait, that might trigger people for stereotyping islanders?

Zootopia? Oh wait, that movie glorified law enforcement.

This is the hole Disney dug for themselves. Can't wait to see what the future brings.

lazyboy97o

But they would still have to contend with OSHA. They would have to do things to more modern standards than probably 30 years ago. If they demo'd the Pinocchio section, they would have to demo everything around it, including the Snow White ride, which is being renovated, and I don't think they would be so foolish as to do that. My guess is that at best, the ride would simply get an improvement in tone like with Snow White, but they could not physically redo the track or structures too much. I thought the structure, all of it, was grandfathered.
That is not how it works. Grandfathering is not a monolithic thing that either is or is not. It varies depending on the specific circumstances and the regulation in question. With regards to OSHA, grandfathering is not really a thing. New regulations do get applied to existing facilities and there can be no exceptions. They'll be on a timeline where existing facilities have years before they have to comply, but they must eventually comply.

Building and fire codes have a scale based on the scope of a project that determines how much has to be updated to contemporary codes. In general there are three levels of renovation. Level 1 is when you are replacing things within a room like finishes and equipment. The new stuff has to be code compliant but you don't have to do anything else. You don't have to make an old bathroom wheelchair accessible if you are replacing the floor tile and the sinks. Level 2 is when you start moving walls and actually change the configuration of actual rooms, but even then only the area in which you are working has to be brought up to contemporary codes. Level 3 is when everything must be updated and that is when you are doing Level 2 work in more than 50% of the building, but even then exceptions can be made by the building and fire departments based on issues of structure and cost. What there most definitely is not is any sort of requirement that an existing building has to be demolished.

There are also ways that things are not as they appear. What looks like multiple rooms inside of a dark ride could all be contained within what is legally a single room. It is also possible that what looks like one building is legally multiple buildings. You can't just make blanket statements about what is or is not allowed with renovations because it is not that straightforward.

Rich T

How many thought that the idea of redoing Splash Mountain was too laughable to be taken seriously until Disney announced it?
Not me. I predicted it months ago on this site.

I think the Pinocchio complaint is a troll post. And if it is a real thing, the complainer needs to take a nice vacation at WDW’s Boardwalk resort.
2801408E-2438-4668-A0F3-5F3C23017893.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom