Callinq Magic Kingdom Disney World?

chefmstobey

Original Poster
I'm a new member and already realize you folks will forget more than I'll ever know about WDW. But, reading some of the threads i see people complaining about others calling MK Disney World. When I went back in 1978 thats all there was and that was an accepted term. Any Thoughts?

Pioneer Hall

A lot of people do it because it is place that people think of when they think Disney World. When I hear that I correct people and let them know that Disney World is the entire place and explain everything that it entails.

Valawen9

I'm constantly having to remind a couple of my friends that MK is not Disney World and that Disney World includes the other 3 parks, resorts, etc.

I also love it when one particular friend of mine says, "So did you have fun at Disney this weekend? Did you go on the Hulk? Dueling Dragons? The Mummy?"

Then I have to remind her that Universal is a totally different place than Disney. lol

Bobble

Well in 1978, the Magic Kingdom was the only park that existed in Disney World. I think it was 1981 that Epcot was finished in, (correct me if I'm wrong) making it the second park. So in '78 it is understandable why Magic Kingdom was accepted to mean Disney World.

Edit:

Sorry, just reread your post and realized you mentioned that Magic Kingdom was the only park. :brick:
But, I guess because the resort as a whole was not completely developed during that time it was common to refer to it as the Magic Kingdom. Sorry again.

RonAnnArbor

I think across America most people refer to the Magic Kingdom as Disney World...even commercials do it: "I am going to Disney World" with the image of the MK castle in the background. Those who have gone to Orlando know that Walt Disney World is the entire landmass, parks, and resorts. THose who do not know wouldn't know the difference and to them, Disney World is all those castle and tinkerbell things. If it brings them in for a visit, nobody is going to complain.

Horizons1

Bobble said:
Well in 1978, the Magic Kingdom was the only park that existed in Disney World. I think it was 1981 that Epcot was finished in, (correct me if I'm wrong) making it the second park.

You were off by a year, it was 1982.

Magic Maker

It is a huge petpeeve of mine.

I know it is nit picky, but calling Magic Kingdom as Disney World is like saying the other 46 sq miles of WDW property does not matter, only Magic Kingdom is Disney World. Too me the rest of the property is just as Disney as Magic Kingdom. It gets to me the most when people are already on property and I or someone asks them what there plans are and they say (standing in the middle of a Disney resort or theme park) "well we are going to Disney World tomorrow."
Really? You're already here. I understand why some people think that way, but it just gets to me. Just like the sign off South International Drive that says "Walt Disney" and an arrow to the right. It makes me go "really? he's right over there, wow let's go find him!"

shmmrname

If you are really interested in conversing with the person who has mistakenly called WDW the MK, then why not simply correct them and use it as a great way to start talking about something your so obviously in love with anyway.
And if you really aren't all that interested in continuing a conversation, why correct them at all. Think about it, does it really matter to them if they have made this mistake. If you think they want to be corrected, by all means do so; but if they really don't care, why should you.
I'm sure theres MILLIONS of things I don't know, or mistakenly assume to know. I would hope I'm not constantly infuriating others simply by trying to talk to them about something they obviously have a passion for.

Magic Maker

It is not the end of the world to me. It is just a quirky pet peeve, no big.

Typically a conversation takes place when I am at work and I will jokingly correct them, it usually creates a laugh.

Yellow Shoes

For me, calling MK "Disney World" is not as bad as insisting that the Hulk is at DisneyWorld, or looking to get a photo taken with Spiderman.

I always use Puffs tissues, yet still call them "Kleenex." Someday the fine folks at Kimberly Clark may come looking for me, but in the grand scheme of things, it' not worth changing an ingrained habit.

However, I am not always so easy-going. Do not even TRY to tell me that Epcot is educational, and therefore boring, and therefore unsuitable for children, or teenagers who want thrills, or adults who don't need to learn anything anymore.

Chase24

No Big Deal - Just keep them straight

Disney Land = California
Disney World = Florida

That gets you on the right plane..or "Bus"...:p And that's what counts. I have been going all my life and that's the only distinction that I have ever cared about. But that is only my 2 cents

lebeau

I have a friend who insists upon calling the first Star Wars movie "A New Hope". Whenever I call it "Star Wars" he corrects me. He says that there are 6 Star Wars movies... which one am I talking about? But in reality, he knows that when I say "Star Wars" I am talking about Episode 4 or "A New Hope" or whatever you want to call it. Really, he's just being annoying.

When someone who isn't a Disney freak says Walt Disney World, you know what they mean.

ganny

i know that there are people who just don't know, but i'm not sure if there is anything else that gets on my nerves worse than "we went to disney today and loved space mountain." i'd rather hear animal kingdom called the zoo.

TTFN-Tiggger

I am always correcting my friends/family. I was on WDW with one of my sisters and she called Donald Duck - yup Daffy Duck. :eek: And she kept thinking ALL parks in Orlando (Universal, Sea World) are part of Disney. Just have to smile and keep on educating them. :)

Epcot82Guy

It really is habit. It stands out more because we all tend to be very informed on the subject. I bet everyone here (absolutely myself included) does it in something different. It's why something is a hobby.

However, I do agree that it used to be annoying, and now I see it as a good thing because they are AT LEAST familiar with the resort. Another reason could also be the history of Disney's process. WDW is the only resort until very recent years (1998/1999) that had more than one park. So, to say Disneyland, Disneyland Paris, Tokyo Disneyland, all referred to the resort. WDW is the only place that does not have "Disney World Park." Disney actually broke its own mold here.

ThumpersThought

lebeau said:
I have a friend who insists upon calling the first Star Wars movie "A New Hope". Whenever I call it "Star Wars" he corrects me. He says that there are 6 Star Wars movies... which one am I talking about? But in reality, he knows that when I say "Star Wars" I am talking about Episode 4 or "A New Hope" or whatever you want to call it. Really, he's just being annoying.

When someone who isn't a Disney freak says Walt Disney World, you know what they mean.

You should correct your friend. "A New Hope" was not originally called "A New Hope" -- it was originally "Star Wars". In fact, the *original* script title was "Adventures of the Starkiller: Episode 1 - The Star Wars" -- Starkiller was later renamed Skywalker. So there...

About twenty times a night I'm asked "Does this go to Disney World?" -- I try to answer as politely as possible, "Yes, it does go to the Magic Kingdom." They usually correct themselves or give me an imbarassed laugh (though I try to make sure they don't feel bad about the error).

Of course, there was the night where I was playing with some guests as they said, "Does this go to Disneyland?", I responded, "No, since it doesn't have a bathroom, we were having problems with clean-up. It'll still go to the Magic Kingdom, but we've stopped doing drop-offs at Disneyland."

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
Chase24 said:
Disney Land = California
Disney World = Florida

That gets you on the right plane..or "Bus"...:p And that's what counts. I have been going all my life and that's the only distinction that I have ever cared about. But that is only my 2 cents

The above description is probably the main reason for this ongoing verbal confusion. In California, the original Disneyland is similar in layout to the MK in Florida. So...if Disneyland has Main Street, Castle, SM and all , wouldn't the park with Main Street a Castle and SM in Florida be DisneyWorld?...but no, WDW is the entire resort.

PS if you ever go to California, don't ask them where the Magic Kingdom is or you'll start the whole arguement over again...in reverse...:rolleyes:

Epcot82Guy

See... The Disneyland thing is brought on itself. If I remember correctly, even the monorail spiel at DL refer's to Walt's "Magic Kingdom." So you have the magical kingdom of Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Park at Disney World. :brick:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom