Callinq Magic Kingdom Disney World?

Merlin

Account Suspended
ThumpersThought said:
About twenty times a night I'm asked "Does this go to Disney World?" -- I try to answer as politely as possible, "Yes, it does go to the Magic Kingdom." They usually correct themselves or give me an imbarassed laugh (though I try to make sure they don't feel bad about the error).

Here's a wild, zany thought....If your goal is that "they don't feel bad about the error", then have you considered....NOT CORRECTING THEM AT ALL?? After all, by your own admission, you clearly know they're talking about Magic Kingdom, so what's the point in correcting them?

By the way, if we're going to split hairs about the names of parks, you might want to work on getting the name right yourself. It's not THE Magic Kingdom...It's simply Magic Kingdom.

Merlin

Account Suspended
lebeau said:
I have a friend who insists upon calling the first Star Wars movie "A New Hope". Whenever I call it "Star Wars" he corrects me. He says that there are 6 Star Wars movies... which one am I talking about? But in reality, he knows that when I say "Star Wars" I am talking about Episode 4 or "A New Hope" or whatever you want to call it. Really, he's just being annoying.

When someone who isn't a Disney freak says Walt Disney World, you know what they mean.

Incredibly well said!!! I wish I could give you points for this post!

ThumpersThought

Merlin said:
Here's a wild, zany thought....If your goal is that "they don't feel bad about the error", then have you considered....NOT CORRECTING THEM AT ALL?? After all, by your own admission, you clearly know they're talking about Magic Kingdom, so what's the point in correcting them?

By the way, if we're going to split hairs about the names of parks, you might want to work on getting the name right yourself. It's not THE Magic Kingdom...It's simply Magic Kingdom.

Huh?! :confused: You missed the whole tone of my message. Frankly, I never correct a guest (over something as trivial as this). The only time I use "Magic Kingdom" is in clarification... a lot of guests are unsure where they're going, and I'll use the park name to make sure I'm sending them where I think they want to go. There have been a couple times where I've said, "Yes, this goes to the Magic Kingdom" only to have them say, "Oh, I wanted to go to Epcot."

It's the old "When is the 3:00 parade?" thing... if it was correct to not correct them, you'd answer "3:00" -- which any cast member knows is the wrong answer.

(and I highly doubt I'll start saying, "Yes, this does go to Magic Kingdom." -- that just sounds silly, right or wrong)

TP2000

Here's a thought for you East Coasters...

Did you ever think it was funny that it's acceptable to call WDW just "Disney"? As a Californian, that always struck me as funny. Now if someone was doing business in Burbank, they could say "I'm going over to Disney to drop these papers off", but that would mean Disney as in the Company, it's Studio complex and Feature Animation campus, and it's global headquarters buildings all located in Burbank. But to call Walt Disney World just "Disney" sounds really strange to Western ears. My Mom, a native Californian, also picked up on it on her first trip to WDW about five years ago. She thought it was so funny to hear the Easterners refer to the property as "Disney".

Here in California we call Disneyland simply.... Disneyland. And there's California Adventure and Downtown Disney and three resort hotels. But no one out here refers to that collection of properties as just "Disney", it's Disneyland.

Valawen9

TP2000 said:
Here's a thought for you East Coasters...

Did you ever think it was funny that it's acceptable to call WDW just "Disney"? As a Californian, that always struck me as funny. Now if someone was doing business in Burbank, they could say "I'm going over to Disney to drop these papers off", but that would mean Disney as in the Company, it's Studio complex and Feature Animation campus, and it's global headquarters buildings all located in Burbank. But to call Walt Disney World just "Disney" sounds really strange to Western ears. My Mom, a native Californian, also picked up on it on her first trip to WDW about five years ago. She thought it was so funny to hear the Easterners refer to the property as "Disney".

Here in California we call Disneyland simply.... Disneyland. And there's California Adventure and Downtown Disney and three resort hotels. But no one out here refers to that collection of properties as just "Disney", it's Disneyland.

That's funny :) I never thought about that before.

GoofyMike29

little ones

i have noticed that a lot of little kids call the magic kingdom disney world. I remember being on a bus ride to EPCOT and this little boy was asking his mother, why are we not going to Disney World? And the mom was trying to explain to the child the concept of Disney World

MasterGracey71

Wikipedia

From Wikipedia:

"The Magic Kingdom" is also a nickname for the Disneyland theme park itself. This usage predates the Florida theme park, but Disneyland never officially bore this name. While Disneyland's official nickname is "The Happiest Place On Earth," the official nickname of the Magic Kingdom is "The Most Magical Place On Earth." This led to the common use in Disneyana literature of the term Magic Kingdom-style, to describe the classic Disney park - with the castle, Main Street etc.

bgraham34

Valawen9 said:
I'm constantly having to remind a couple of my friends that MK is not Disney World and that Disney World includes the other 3 parks, resorts, etc.

I also love it when one particular friend of mine says, "So did you have fun at Disney this weekend? Did you go on the Hulk? Dueling Dragons? The Mummy?"

Then I have to remind her that Universal is a totally different place than Disney. lol

I dont bother to explain it to people. Because in my cases people usually dont listen. Sometimes its just habit.

NotAZoo

I am guilty guilty guilty!

Yet I think most of the time it is due to some brain deficiency I have.

I find myself referring to the MK as DW all of the time, and as the words are coming out of my mouth my inner dialogue screams "IDIOT you know better than that!" Yet after years and years of going to DW, I still can't get my brain to work the way it should.

Other brain slips I have noticed come out the wrong way:
- Futureland instead of Future World
- FassTrack instead of FastPass (TestTrack on the mind I guess)
- Mission to Mars instead of Mission: SPACE (I never did this)

TP2000

Epcot82Guy said:
See... The Disneyland thing is brought on itself. If I remember correctly, even the monorail spiel at DL refer's to Walt's "Magic Kingdom." So you have the magical kingdom of Disneyland and Magic Kingdom Park at Disney World. :brick:

Yes, at Disneyland automated and live spiels given by CM's often call the park "Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom". The Disneyland Railroad, the monorail, etc. have recorded spiels that use that line. And CM's use it when you are on rides like the Mark Twain or Canoes or StorybookLand and they are coming back to the dock and thanking you for riding; or many times they'll use it when they are announcing something to a queue over the PA. "And we hope you enjoy the rest of your evening here in Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!" It's a tagline used in advertising material and park maps dating right back to the opening in 1955, and it obviously stuck.

There's also "Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room" that uses that full tagline on the big sign in front, several times during the recorded spiel in the pre-show, and then again by the live CM introducing the show and waking up Jose.

I don't remember any CM's speaking the two words "Walt Disney" out in WDW, but it happens constantly in Disneyland in many different contexts. And the "Magic Kingdom" name for the first WDW theme park simply came from the little tagline they'd been calling Disneyland for 16 years when WDW opened in '71.

pintraderpayee

Well, I'm fixin' to go ta Didnee and they know that when I axe fer a Coke I might mean a Dr. Pepper! If I axe fer a Kleenex I'll be okay if it's Puffs. When I axe fer Doritos, they gonna gimme Nacho Doritos. and.....in the deep south.....bafroom= restroom wash rag= wash cloth da bus ova everything= monorail! Remember Disney speaks the universal language of understanding, they even know ghetto, red neck, and a smattering of @&& (I mean Cajun).:D :p

6 weeks 1 day until I'm ºoºrlando Bound

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom