California Grill to debut new fixed price three course menu.

Richie248

Instead of switching to a prix fixe menu, they should have just required your table to ordering at least some entrees to eat there. Or just require a minimum spend per party member. That would be similar to a prix fixe menu but not be as penal to guests who don't want multiple courses.

A prix fixe menu is easier, though. My suggestions would be better for guests, but probably worse for Disney.

Agree, I wouldn't mind a minimum spend per guest/table (especially during peak times).

TrainsOfDisney

Instead of switching to a prix fixe menu, they should have just required your table to ordering at least some entrees to eat there. Or just require a minimum spend per party member. That would be similar to a prix fixe menu but not be as penal to guests who don't want multiple courses.

A prix fixe menu is easier, though. My suggestions would be better for guests, but probably worse for Disney.
Or... you can let guests enjoy Disney World the way they would like. Want to have dessert at California Grill to end your day? Great! Thanks for visiting Disney!

See how easy that is?

UNCgolf

Or... you can let guests enjoy Disney World the way they would like. Want to have dessert at California Grill to end your day? Great! Thanks for visiting Disney!

See how easy that is?

Sure. I'm saying if Disney felt like they had to make a change, my suggestions are better.

With that said, people booking tables at California Grill (or anywhere) just to eat dessert doesn't only hurt Disney's bottom line, it also hurts guests who want to actually eat a meal. I would be pretty annoyed if I really wanted to eat there and couldn't get a reservation only to find out that a bunch were taken by people who were only eating dessert. It's hard enough to get a reservation for a TS meal as is; it's kind of inconsiderate to other guests to take one just for dessert. There are plenty of places to get dessert without blocking someone else from actually having a meal.

It was probably a pretty regular occurrence for Disney to make this change.

ImperfectPixie

Sure. I'm saying if Disney felt like they had to make a change, my suggestions are better.

With that said, people booking tables at California Grill (or anywhere) just to eat dessert doesn't only hurt Disney's bottom line, it also hurts guests who want to actually eat a meal. I would be pretty annoyed if I really wanted to eat there and couldn't get a reservation only to find out that a bunch were taken by people who were only eating dessert. It's hard enough to get a reservation for a TS meal as is; it's kind of inconsiderate to other guests to take one just for dessert. There are plenty of places to get dessert without blocking someone else from actually having a meal.

A person paying to eat is a person paying to eat...what they order shouldn't matter.

TrainsOfDisney

I would be pretty annoyed if I really wanted to eat there and couldn't get a reservation only to find out that a bunch were taken by people who were only eating dessert.
Why would you care? What if I went and only ordered a vegetarian entree. I suppose that would annoy you because you wanted to order a higher priced beef entree so you should get priority?

UNCgolf

Why would you care? What if I went and only ordered a vegetarian entree. I suppose that would annoy you because you wanted to order a higher priced beef entree so you should get priority?

No? We're talking about eating dessert. It's a completely different thing. If you're there to eat, you're there to eat. That's not what dessert is.

If you are going there solely to eat dessert, then you already ate a meal somewhere else. You're taking away capacity from people who actually want to eat. It's an incredibly selfish thing to do when there's limited availability for people to actually have TS meals.

It's the "I'm going to do whatever I want and who cares if I'm screwing over other people" mentality. It's similar to people eating a meal, being completely finished, and then sitting around and chatting for another 45 minutes, preventing someone else from actually being able to sit and eat. It's just selfish.

Chi84

Premium Member

I agree. There were people going there to see the fireworks and using dessert as an excuse to sit there for hours. A restaurant is a place for people to dine, and Cali Grill is not intended or marketed as a dessert place. There are plenty of places to see fireworks without taking up space at a place where others want to eat.

I suspect Disney agrees and has decided to reserve Cali Grill for those who plan to use it as it was intended - a nicer TS restaurant. I don’t have a problem with this at all. People are free to do whatever is allowed, but then shouldn’t be surprised when Disney sees a problem and acts to correct it.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I agree. There were people going there to see the fireworks and using dessert as an excuse to sit there for hours. A restaurant is a place for people to dine, and Cali Grill is not intended or marketed as a dessert place. There are plenty of places to see fireworks without taking up space at a place where others want to eat.

I suspect Disney agrees and has decided to reserve Cali Grill for those who plan to use it as it was intended - a nicer TS restaurant. I don’t have a problem with this at all. People are free to do whatever is allowed, but then shouldn’t be surprised when Disney sees a problem and acts to correct it.
There's a difference between going there just to have dessert and going there and using dessert as an excuse to stay at the table too long. I agree that staying longer than it takes you to eat and have a cup of coffee is rude and obnoxious...but a person shouldn't be prohibited from ordering something that isn't considered a full meal.

peter11435

A person paying to eat is a person paying to eat...what they order shouldn't matter.
No but when they take a table for hours and only eat dessert that does matter. It hurts Disney, it hurts the guests who couldn’t get in, and worst of all it hurts the servers. Typically in a three hour period they would turn over each table twice. Thats two guests in each seat where the average spend is ~ $100 per guest. Lately that’s been one guest spending $15 instead

ImperfectPixie

No but when they take a table for hours and only eat dessert that does matter. It hurts Disney, it hurts the guests who couldn’t get in, and worst of all it hurts the servers. Typically in a three hour period they would turn over each table twice. Thats two guests in each seat where the average spend is ~ $100 per guest. Lately that’s been one guest spending $15 instead
See my comment right above yours. ;)

UNCgolf

There's a difference between going there just to have dessert and going there and using dessert as an excuse to stay at the table too long. I agree that staying longer than it takes you to eat and have a cup of coffee is rude and obnoxious...but a person shouldn't be prohibited from ordering something that isn't considered a full meal.

Even in that scenario you're likely preventing other people from having a meal. They can't assume people are going to come in, order dessert, and leave after 20-30 minutes which would open up additional reservation spots. Every reservation is assuming people are there for a meal. It would potentially open up a few standby tables, but most people don't even try to eat standby at a Disney restaurant so that's not really that helpful. It's more likely you'd end up with tables sitting empty until the next reservation -- in the event that people actually did only come in for 30 minutes, but it seems like people were doing it just to watch fireworks and likely staying much longer than that.

I don't think any individual person that's part of a larger party should be prevented from only ordering a dessert or an appetizer (or nothing at all), but if you have a group of 8 come in and all order desserts and nothing else they're hurting other guests and, as @peter11435 said above, they're absolutely killing the waiter. They're not going to make nearly as much money as they would otherwise unless the people offer a huge tip far above and beyond 15-20%, which isn't going to happen the vast majority of the time.

I don't really have a problem with people going to a restaurant just to have dessert if it wasn't at Disney (or other similar locations). At Disney, though, there already aren't enough restaurants at Disney to go around. When people are taking up spots simply for dessert, you're forcing other guests to eat a QS meal or go to a low quality TS restaurant. I don't think it's fair.

ImperfectPixie

Even in that scenario you're likely preventing other people from having a meal. They can't assume people are going to come in, order dessert, and leave after 20-30 minutes which would open up additional reservation spots. Every reservation is assuming people are there for a meal. It would potentially open up a few standby tables, but most people don't even try to eat standby at a Disney restaurant so that's not really that helpful. It's more likely you'd end up with tables sitting empty until the next reservation -- in the event that people actually did only come in for 30 minutes, but it seems like people were doing it just to watch fireworks and likely staying much longer than that.

I don't think any individual person that's part of a larger party should be prevented from only ordering a dessert or an appetizer (or nothing at all), but if you have a group of 8 come in and all order desserts and nothing else they're hurting other guests and, as @peter11435 said above, they're absolutely killing the waiter. They're not going to make nearly as much money as they would otherwise unless the people offer a huge tip far above and beyond 15-20%, which isn't going to happen the vast majority of the time.

I don't really have a problem with people going to a restaurant just to have dessert if it wasn't at Disney (or other similar locations). At Disney, though, there already aren't enough restaurants at Disney to go around. When people are taking up spots simply for dessert, you're forcing other guests to eat a QS meal or go to a low quality TS restaurant. I don't think it's fair.
The bolded is unforgiveable...and part of the capacity issues I've mentioned elsewhere.

Chi84

Premium Member
They have a $23 cheese board on the dessert menu. They also have a $23 flatbread and a $23 sushi roll.

So if you order a $23 flatbread or sushi roll as dinner, you’re in the clear. But a $23 cheese board from the dessert menu makes you a selfish person apparently.
My guess is the prix fixe menu will be priced above $23. Fixes the conundrum you’re pointing out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom