California Grill to debut new fixed price three course menu.

UNCgolf

A fixed price menu can improve the dining experience by getting. rid of dessert only guests.

A fixed price menu can offer many choices and have upcharges for premium items.

JMO
Standardizing the menu between restaurants. Lowering the quality and increasing the price, to increase profits is whats lowering the dining experience.

Fixed price menus can often result in an overall price increase -- I hardly ever order dessert, for example. With a fixed price menu you're usually getting it regardless and paying for it.

sullyinMT

Fixed price menus can often result in an overall price increase -- I hardly ever order dessert, for example. With a fixed price menu you're usually getting it regardless and paying for it.
Which is why the legacy DDPs didn’t make much sense for a lot of people. Yet, the business/restaurant is banking on a number of diners like you (or in Disney’s case, 10-13 year old “adults”) to increase their profit margins.
The perceived benefit to a lot of people, especially on vacation, is a predetermined budget. If they know every TS will cost $x, they’ll just plop the money into their spreadsheet and smile. TWDC gets to laugh all the way home.

UNCgolf

Which is why the legacy DDPs didn’t make much sense for a lot of people. Yet, the business/restaurant is banking on a number of diners like you (or in Disney’s case, 10-13 year old “adults”) to increase their profit margins.
The perceived benefit to a lot of people, especially on vacation, is a predetermined budget. If they know every TS will cost $x, they’ll just plop the money into their spreadsheet and smile. TWDC gets to laugh all the way home.

Yep, which is why I never had the DDP. It didn't make any financial sense.

lewisc

Buffets and all you care to eat restaurants have the same issues. Guest with light appetites overpay.

Disney doesn't follow industry norms. Price fixed dinners frequently offer smaller portion sizes. The cost of a dinner special might be about the same of just the entree and appetizers

Disney guest. at least some posters on fan sites, rate restaurants based on portion size.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
This change is stemming from a massive uptick in guests dining only for dessert and/or holding a table for 3 hours waiting for fireworks. The assumption is the price fixe option will at least help revenue, which took a nosedive when the fireworks returned.
Makes sense, I know Rose and Crown has this issue too. Personally not a fan because I can’t eat that much in one sitting (anyone ever heard of Achalasia?) so buffets s s prix fixes usually never worth it for me, but I totally get why they’re doing it. Imagine if they had built the resort on a bit more of an angle with the end facing mk, you could have a restaurant where Fantasia is with a 10 storey window view of the fireworks.

Chi84

Premium Member
Buffets and all you care to eat restaurants have the same issues. Guest with light appetites overpay.

Disney doesn't follow industry norms. Price fixed dinners frequently offer smaller portion sizes. The cost of a dinner special might be about the same of just the entree and appetizers

Disney guest. at least some posters on fan sites, rate restaurants based on portion size.
I don't know. I have a normal to light appetite, don't overeat, and Boma is one of my favorite restaurants. I just take a few bites of the most interesting items and I'm pleasantly satisfied when I leave. I never felt that I overpaid; I was paying for quality and variety.

I agree with what you're saying about people rating restaurants based on portion size. We had a lovely family-owned Italian restaurant near us (killed by COVID) that got poor Yelp ratings because of smaller portion sizes. Someone finally posted that if you want two pounds of spaghetti for $9, this place is not for you.

UNCgolf

Indeed.

That's why the only buffets I like are breakfast/brunch, and it's less about the overall amount of food and more about the variety. I love breakfast and always have trouble deciding what to order because I really want everything, but I want very small portions of everything. I can do that at a buffet!

Lunch and dinner buffets are very different.

UNCgolf

I don't know. I have a normal to light appetite, don't overeat, and Boma is one of my favorite restaurants. I just take a few bites of the most interesting items and I'm pleasantly satisfied when I leave. I never felt that I overpaid; I was paying for quality and variety.

I think the issue is that Boma is an outlier. There aren't very many lunch/dinner buffets that offer both quality and variety.

Chi84

Premium Member
I think the issue is that Boma is an outlier. There aren't very many lunch/dinner buffets that offer both quality and variety.
That’s absolutely true. But even at the more pedestrian places they give you a bit more in the way of variety. We like Cape May for that reason even though the offerings aren’t very exotic. The cost is high, though. We never did buffets when our kids were little and we needed to be careful with money.

awoogala

I hate prix fixe. I like ordering multiple apps instead of an entree often, plus a salad, drinks. I probably spend just as much as people who do the entrees, I just don't think they have as much variety in the entrees- especially if you are vegetarian. Also, we almost never eat dessert- just not a person who eats sweets often. sigh. I hear space 220 is prix fixe, too. it stinks.

peter11435

I hate prix fixe. I like ordering multiple apps instead of an entree often, plus a salad, drinks. I probably spend just as much as people who do the entrees, I just don't think they have as much variety in the entrees- especially if you are vegetarian. Also, we almost never eat dessert- just not a person who eats sweets often. sigh. I hear space 220 is prix fixe, too. it stinks.
Space will be prix fixe. For the same reason as CG

JoeCamel

Sounds like you need a buffet

awoogala

No, I hate buffets. The food is alway sub par, and I don't want to pay that amount for food everyone has breathed on. I also don't like paying more for less service/customization. More money- go get your own food! No thanks.

UNCgolf

Instead of switching to a prix fixe menu, they should have just required your table to order at least some entrees to eat there. Or just require a minimum spend per party member. That would be similar to a prix fixe menu but not be as penal to guests who don't want multiple courses.

A prix fixe menu is easier, though. My suggestions would be better for guests, but probably worse for Disney.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom