California Adventure only Annual Pass (Fun Pass) available at Costco starting Sept. 1

oceanbreeze77

There's no guarantee that this pass will still be around in a couple of years. As TP said, it appears that they may be testing the waters for changing their AP offerings again. Several of us, including myself, have speculated that Disney will either eliminate or dramatically increase the prices of lower tiered passes and/or do away with payment plans by the time the expansion is done.
Its going to cost $329, the same price as the SoCal pass. I think its safe to assume those are a thing of the past.

D

Deleted member 107043

I think its safe to assume those are a thing of the past.

It might be too soon to make that assumption, but I think we can take the temporary offering of a single park pass priced the same as the So Cal pass as a sign they're looking at some major AP changes.

SSG

It might be too soon to make that assumption, but I think we can take the temporary offering of a single park pass priced the same as the So Cal pass as a sign they're looking at some major AP changes.
I wonder if Disney is thinking of offering a mixed pass where you still get both parks but there are more blockouts for Disneyland and less for DCA. For example, offering a pass where you get no weekends for DL(like the current SoCal pass) but you can get into DCA on many weekends could be a good option.

Curious Constance

I hope the SoCal pass does go away, not only to help with the crowds, but as an out of state visitor, I've always found the idea of a pass exclusively for SO Cal residents kind of offensive. So because they live close they get to get into the parks for cheap? What about me who has to spend thousands just to get there, stay there, and eat there for my family? Why can't I get a break on the cost to get into the park?

D

Deleted member 107043

So because they live close they get to get into the parks for cheap? What about me who has to spend thousands just to get there, stay there, and eat there for my family? Why can't I get a break on the cost to get into the park?

I could be wrong, but didn't the SoCal passes start out as sort of a stop gap measure back in the early 2000s when DLR attendance was a bit wobbly following the mediocre performance of DCA and the tourist drought in the years after 9/11? I think the first SoCal passes came in 2002, amiright?

Stevek

I hope the SoCal pass does go away, not only to help with the crowds, but as an out of state visitor, I've always found the idea of a pass exclusively for SO Cal residents kind of offensive. So because they live close they get to get into the parks for cheap? What about me who has to spend thousands just to get there, stay there, and eat there for my family? Why can't I get a break on the cost to get into the park?
I'm ok with the cheaper pass but you could easily cut down on attendance by just getting rid of monthly payments...but does Disney really want to cut attendance much? What they really want is folks that attend, however often they want, and spend money. Not the kids like my niece that treat it like we did the mall years ago...a social hangout.

D

Deleted member 107043

but does Disney really want to cut attendance much?

I actually think what they want is to manage attendance while maximizing guest spending. I'm pretty certain Disney would be happy making more money with lower attendance. If they can offset a decrease in locals who are on payment plans by drawing more premium customers they'll probably do it.

Curious Constance

I could be wrong, but didn't the SoCal passes start out as sort of a stop gap measure back in the early 2000s when DLR attendance was a bit wobbly following the mediocre performance of DCA and the tourist drought in the years after 9/11? I think the first SoCal passes came in 2002, amiright?
Not sure, that was before my time. I didn't start obsessing about Disneyland until 2006.

Phroobar

2178739-optimus_prime_meme_generator_you_sir_are_correct_993d6f.jpg

Darkbeer1

So we have basically a Deluxe AP (same basic blockout dates and discounts) that for both parks currently $599, making Disneyland an extra $270 for a true 2 park AP.

Sorry, but as a local, I can get multiple other parks with less blockout dates (especially summer) for less than that.

I think the Disney execs will be surprised on how few they sell... But I agree, a test, or they plan to raise AP rates again, or make other changes in the near future....

Also note, no monthly payments available and restricted to COSTCO members.

SSG

So we have basically a Deluxe AP (same basic blockout dates and discounts) that for both parks currently $599, making Disneyland an extra $270 for a true 2 park AP.

Sorry, but as a local, I can get multiple other parks with less blockout dates (especially summer) for less than that.

I think the Disney execs will be surprised on how few they sell... But I agree, a test, or they plan to raise AP rates again, or make other changes in the near future....

Also note, no monthly payments available and restricted to COSTCO members.
Making this a Costco only item strikes me as sensible. You have a smaller pool of people, so the test is manageable. And Costco members have a pretty high average income.

Darkbeer1

OK, I bought my new Lennox HVAC system through Costco, also recently our new window coverings, and have a lot of "COSTCO Cash" rebate cards, but this is one item I have no desire to buy.

Let's look at some other "options" locals have.

A basic Knott's pass is $90 with no blockout dates, with a 9 month payment plan. Their Premium including parking is $189 and covers all Cedar Fair parks, also with a 9 month payment plan. And you can add on a unlimited soda bottle and even an dining package at an extra charge.

Heck, right now, Six Flags is having its "Flash Sale", and you get the Gold Pass for the rest of this year, and all of 2017 for just $75 or about $6 a month including parking, and an extra $80 gives you sodas and a dining plan. That is Magic Mountain, Hurricane Harbor and the rest of the Six Flags parks.

Universal is just Hollywood, but a basic pass is $119 with a lot of blockout dates and ends March 1st, a Gold pass with only a few blockout dates and parking, and the new Platinum that includes Front of the Line access to all attractions and rides for $589.

SeaWorld San Diego starts with a basic Season Pass at $80, and a Platinum that comes with parking and reserved seating for shows at $200 a year.

LEGOLAND is between $159 and $279.

Also look at the non-Theme Parks, such as the Aquarium of the Pacific, Queen Mary and San Diego Zoo options (I have all three).

So to me, I would look at the DLR Deluxe AP (Sorry, but the SoCal Select without weekends and summer just isn't worth it) at $599 and then compare all my options, and make a decision on where I live in SoCal, what type of park(s) I like to visit, and what would my budget allow.

My choices include the Knott's Platinum with the soda options (but not dining)

Six Flags including the dining and soda package. (At the current deal, a no-brainer)

Universal and a SoCal version that is better than the current offer, and will have to make a decision in April 2017.

And a long term SeaWorld pass that is honored at a price point that doesn't increase with deal I got.

And a Castle Park pass (local place in Riverside that I have a soft spot for due to it being Bud Hurlbut's baby, heck I have an aerial photo of it when first opened that was in Bud's office until he passed).

To me, while I had one in the past, LEGOLAND isn't worth it, also had a Raging Waters that I didn't renew.

But it is competition for local's money, and to me, a DCA only pass, and then have to pay for parking, and deal with the traffic and crowds, let me grab a beer at the ESPN Zone or a sandwich at Earl of Sandwiches and get free parking for a few hours instead.

D

Deleted member 107043

I realize a lot of you local Disney fans are jaded and don't hold management in high regard, and tend to view all the local theme parks on a more level playing field than I do, so I understand why you might have a negative reaction to this pass. While Knott's, Magic Mountain, and Universal's relatively lower priced passes might be of some interest to you, for others, especially those who aren't theme park geeks, might find a single park AP price point the right fit for them. I guess we'll find out eventually.

For the record if I lived in SoCal I probably wouldn't buy it.

Darkbeer1

Hans, all I stated was that I wouldn't look at a DCA Only Pass, and would look at the current Disneyland Resort Deluxe 2 park pass instead, since IMHO, Disneyland is worth more than DCA, and that at less than double the DCA only pass, I basically get the same things including discounts, blockout dates and can make a interest free monthly payment plan, it wasn't for me.

And then for discussion purposes, I showed what a local COSTCO shopper would need to compare it to.

Here is one that will be on the display next to the DCA pass in COSTCO...

>>
Universal Studios Hollywood Annual Pass eTicket, California
Features:

Come any date on the first visit. 250 available days for return visits including 45-weekend days*. Valid for 12-Consecutive months from selected first visit date. Black-out dates apply for return visits. First visit must occur on or before 6/15/17. Universal City, California, Delivered via email.

$109.99<<

If I am not a Theme Park geek and wanted a place for my kids to visit during the year, including summer, I would pick one of the passes mentioned, and I would say, the $100 or so per person options seem to fit into many folks budgets.

Darkbeer1

And now the rumor is...

Disney Parks prices in the US will go up on Tuesday, September 6th, and that is all tickets and passes.

Another interesting fact, some discounts have a cut off date as of September 15th, such as some group discounts.

Is the DCA pass just a preview of other upcoming changes that will hit folks wallets, and more than likely, not in a good way???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom