California Adventure only Annual Pass (Fun Pass) available at Costco starting Sept. 1

D

Deleted member 107043

If this is a result of "They now feel confident with DCA", then they should have been offering Disneyland Park only APs all along.

Isn't that sort of what they've been doing all along? The perception I've had since the beginning is that DL is the premium default with DCA as the lesser discounted add-on to drive attendance there. This promotion is bold because it finally separates the DCA pass from DL's, which suggests there's evidence Disney thinks DCA may have a sizable enough local audience who views it more favorably than DL.

rob0519

When DCA first opened it was a stand alone ticket. You could not buy a park hopper. If you wanted to visit both parks in one day it would cost two full day admissions. Obviously there is a market for people who have asked for this type of pass or reacted positively to market research on the topic. I see this as good way to move part of the Disneyland crowd to DCA and provide some crowd relief.

GiveMeTheMusic

Tokyo Disney offers single park passes - you can buy an AP for TDL, an AP for TDS or a 2 park AP. Of course, TDS is standalone worthy. DCA, while much improved and a great park, is not standalone worthy.

Epcot has an After 4 AP that allows people to just enter the park after 4pm - presumably for dining and shopping purposes. But DCA isn't quite the food/drink destination Epcot is.

I can only imagine this is being viewed as a way to get more regular AP holders. How many people will really be content with just visiting DCA for an entire year, while still having to pay for parking? Some will, I'm sure, but the rest will inevitably upgrade to a regular AP with Disneyland access.

CJR

How many people will really be content with just visiting DCA for an entire year, while still having to pay for parking?

I'd imagine that these are the same people that dodge the parking costs and park further down the street.

I'd wager this is going to allow Disney to continue boosting regular AP prices, while offering an alternative for people on a budget. If some people are truly "priced out", this could be a good option for them to a get a dose of Disney.

D

Deleted member 107043

Tokyo Disney offers single park passes - you can buy an AP for TDL, an AP for TDS or a 2 park AP. Of course, TDS is standalone worthy. DCA, while much improved and a great park, is not standalone worthy.

I'm sorry, but if Knott's can offer a standalone annual pass so can California Adventure without any question.

GiveMeTheMusic

I'm sorry, but if Knott's can offer a standalone annual pass so can California Adventure without any question.

They're not really comparable. Every park offers it own pass, and Knott's is like what, $75 with no blackout dates? DCA isn't a standalone park like Knott's, USH, SeaWorld or SFMM. It's a Disney park right next to the original crown jewel Disney park. And the AP will certainly be more expensive than $75.

If DCA was by itself somewhere, obviously it would warrant its own pass. I'm not convinced it needs one when it's still very much second fiddle to DL. And I love DCA. There isn't an ounce of DCA hate in my body. I just question how big the market is for this kind of pass unless it ends up being SUPER cheap. Like, if it's $159 I'm sure they'll sell a lot of them.

D

Deleted member 107043

They're not really comparable. Every park offers it own pass, and Knott's is like what, $75 with no blackout dates? DCA isn't a standalone park like Knott's, USH, SeaWorld or SFMM. It's a Disney park right next to the original crown jewel Disney park. And the AP will certainly be more expensive than $75.

Doesn't matter. Consumers will take all of that into account, of course, but in the end it'll be perceived value that will determine preference. As someone else said, different strokes.

yookeroo

Maybe they think Star Wars land will be so successful that they need to get rid of AP entry into Disneyland. There will only be AP entry into DCA. They did the opposite when DCA opened and quickly changed it.

Or by the time SWL opens, the 2 park AP will be REAL expensive. This would be a cheaper option. And possibly help balance the crowds when it does open.

If they price me out of a 2 park pass, I'd consider it.

MoonRakerSCM

I... personally would be interested in this pass depending on the price. Disneyland is always so busy and jam packed, I actually enjoy DCA more sometimes... I can wait for a while until Star Wars land to have a pull pass...

I'll be watching to see how much this pass costs.

mickEblu

As others have said, this pass would have to be around $200, otherwise why not buy a So Cal Select pass? Especially if they both have a similar amount of blackout dates. Even at $200, with the value you get with the So Cal select pass for only $120 more it wouldn't really make sense for me. How big is the pool of people that would be fine with only DCA and at the same time wouldn't rather just fork over another $120 bucks for a lot more attractions and access to both parks? I guess with a family, things can add up but i would imagine most families with young kids would want access to DL.

DCA is a great park but by my second or third visit I would be annoyed that I can't just walk across the esplanade and do a few my favorite attractions at DL.

D

Deleted member 107043

As others have said, this pass would have to be around $200, otherwise why not buy a So Cal Select pass?

There's no guarantee that this pass will still be around in a couple of years. As TP said, it appears that they may be testing the waters for changing their AP offerings again. Several of us, including myself, have speculated that Disney will either eliminate or dramatically increase the prices of lower tiered passes and/or do away with payment plans by the time the expansion is done.

mickEblu

There's no guarantee that this pass will still be around in a couple of years. As TP said, it appears that they may be testing the waters for changing their AP offerings again. Several of us, including myself, have speculated that Disney will either eliminate or dramatically increase the prices of lower tiered passes and/or do away with payment plans by the time the expansion is done.

That makes sense. I just wonder how valid is the test if the So Cal Select/ So Cal passes are currently being offered? I guess they have their ways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom