California Adventure only Annual Pass (Fun Pass) available at Costco starting Sept. 1

Phroobar

I caught that as well...possibly quite prophetic.

As for the river guide/host...turrible. The ride, turrible.
I guess it is fun to have a helicopter gunner shoot you to death. The Gill Man was good though. The river guide sucked more than the english speaking ones at Disneyland Hong Kong. It looked like the same setup as USO Jaws ride.

Phroobar

If anyone deserves support, it is Mike Rowe and his “Works” foundation.

He is fighting for the next generation of employees that will become the next engineers, the folks that will build, repair and even design new rides and attractions. Yes, they will do the “Dirty Jobs” that need to be done.

OK, his type of “education” aka Trade Schools don’t offer Safe Spaces, instead they learn how to build and design safe spaces that contains the rides we all look forward to. (Aka the safety fences for Roller Coasters, etc.).

Just like I support both time and money for “Give Kids the World” (Think the Ronald McDonald’s House for Theme Parks), I also support Mike Rowe Works in my charity donations.

They are both great causes and have very little overhead, since a lot of the support comes from companies that support the causes.
I totally agree with you. The United States need more trades people, programmers and engineers. We can't all be lawyers and middle management wienies.

Darkbeer1

I guess it is fun to have a helicopter gunner shoot you to death. The Gill Man was good though. The river guide sucked more than the english speaking ones at Disneyland Hong Kong. It looked like the same setup as USO Jaws ride.

Well, the boats were bought by Grand Adventures from USO and its Jaws Ride after only one year of operation. (Boats were made by Intermin). Can't pass a good yard sale ;)

Darkbeer1

Getting back to the original thread topic, here is an interesting read from today's Motley Fool

http://www.fool.com/investing/2016/09/05/5-reasons-disney-world-lost-this-summer.aspx

>>
3. Blackout dates became the new normal
Another Disney move that seems to have backfired was reworking its annual pass plans late last year. The move created additional tiers, and the more economical levels block out access to the park during peak travel periods.

Increasing the price of the passes with year-round access by double-digit percentages likely pushed more passholders into the new tiers with blackout dates. It's a move that probably kept even more regulars out of Disney World this summer. <<

Darkbeer1

Universal Studios just announced a new California Pass.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-universal-studios-seasonal-pass-20161003-snap-story.html

>>
The new pass, which went on sale Monday, costs $119 and gives access to the park for 219 select days, including 54 weekend days during a rolling nine-month period, depending on the day it is purchased.

The theme park will not require pass holders to be California residents, but the new California Neighbor Pass is designed to attract locals who will want to visit the park on a regular basis.<<

Darkbeer1

USH daily tickets at the gate are going up on Wednesday to over $115 for a GA ticket. Surge pricing online deals (starting at $105) will still be available, and of course, the $119 California Pass will be available.

Sounds like the price will be $119 at the gate, and then they will offer a second day for free for those who don't get everything done on the first day, and with all the attractions (rides), and dealing with shows (the worse of the two issues due to timing and queue time), it does take two days to do all the main attractions and shows. You can hit a lot of highlights in a single day with some planning and focusing on the rides instead of the shows, or opt to buy the Front of the Line Pass for an extra charge.

Californian Elitist

It still blows me away that USH tries to charge Disney prices for their park. It's greatly improved, but still not anywhere near the quality as DL.

USH isn't trying to charge similar prices, they are charging similar prices.

Their prices have matched for years now. For every person who doesn't find value in USH, there's someone who does. Some prefer DL over USH and some prefer USH over DL.

I'm glad we have options.

D

Deleted member 107043

It still blows me away that USH tries to charge Disney prices for their park. It's greatly improved, but still not anywhere near the quality as DL.

It also blows my mind when people try to equate Disney's parks with USH when Disneyland alone had twice as many people pass through its gates as USH last year.

Capture.PNG

Darkbeer1

FYI, USH was 17th in 2015 with over 7 million in attendance... And looks like it will be much higher in 2016.

And one point that needs to be made, though not related to USH, is that many of the parks on the TEA list are only open part of the year, so the more important number for most parks is average visits per day, as most of the costs of running the park is based on labor. So a park like Cedar Point makes a lot more money than say SeaWorld Orlando....

As for discounting, if you look at Surge Pricing, Disneyland's lowest price ($95) is cheaper than USH's ($105)....

And both Disneyland and Universal have reduced its discounts.

But in general, all parks are trying to get you to buy direct from them via their websites, and buying Annual/Season Passes. It is better for the parks to get you to buy a AP/SP, as they get you to pay in advance, and then on your future visits, you are willing to spend more since it was "free" to enter. (and why they also offer a small discount , to make it seem like you are getting a deal).

Of course, the parks want to get the full price at the door, and full price on food and drink, but they know that usually only foreigners are now willing to pay those prices, as most know how to find deals. Heck, Disney has a special 10 day ParkHopper for just Australian/New Zealand visitors (must be bought before you travel) just to keep them coming back and buying food/merchandise..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom