Cake castle....

elabron

Original Poster
I was looking at some pictures of the WDW cake castle abomination online....yuk! :confused:

How exactly did they do that? It almost looked like some type of inflatable skin that set on top of the original design. Or was it a solid facade? Anyone know? :shrug:

Thanks

The front of the castle was painted pepto bismol pink, although the back half was still the normal blue/white. Most of the decorations were inflatables, if I remember correctly. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong, I was only 10 when they did that to castle.

We have shots of the split between blue and pink on the castle from the Skyway, it was odd seeing the transition of it - just a straight line right down the walls.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If I remember correctly it was sort of an inflatable facade. Some of the pieces used to do this were for up for sale by mouse surplus about a year ago.

smk

However they did it it looked horrible! My family went twice when the castle was like that and each time I had a hard time even looking at it. YUCK.

dazzer68

that was the first time i went to wdw and i was really really upset to see the castle dressed as a cake!.i dont think they should do anything to it ever.its an icon, and people who cant visit the parks very often would expect to find the castle as they imagined it, not dressed as a cake or with other things stuck on the sides of it.they might never have the chance to see it how it should be, so it should be left.put up a temporary celebration decoration if necessary .BUT HANDS OFF THE CASTLE.
ps the second time i went last year it was covered in gold characters and the changing stain glass window, which wasnt so bad , but im in uk and cant afford to go often, would love to see it how its supposed to be one day!

WDWFigment

I was twelve when my family went during the 25th Celebration, and, as a twelve year old, I thought the castle looked awesome. Now that I'm older, it's more tacky than magical, but as a child, seeing a castle cake (I knew it was not a real cake) that large was pretty magical. If I were younger, I'm sure it would have been even cooler.

Let's not forget about the younger WDW audience. Their reactions are a big part (I would argue the most important part) of WDW.

MissM

The front of the castle was painted pepto bismol pink, although the back half was still the normal blue/white. Most of the decorations were inflatables, if I remember correctly. Some one can correct me if I'm wrong, I was only 10 when they did that to castle.

We have shots of the split between blue and pink on the castle from the Skyway, it was odd seeing the transition of it - just a straight line right down the walls.
I never saw it in person, so I didn't realize that. If you have any of those photos online, I'd love to see what that looked like.
Thanks!
-m

spoodles

I thought it was awful. The main thing I remember was how small it made the castle look. That's when I learned about forced perspective -- man, it really works.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It was a great addition. I was very impressed by it.
Remember, it wasnt a permanent change, and it was all about Disney going the extra mile to mark a milestone. Something which I think they did a very good job of.

A lot of people will complain that Disney dont do enough, and when they do somethign above and beyond, they get told it was horrible.

All people wont like all things that Disney do, but sometimes you need to appreciate that they are making efforts to do things.

DDuckFan130

It was a great addition. I was very impressed by it.
Remember, it wasnt a permanent change, and it was all about Disney going the extra mile to mark a milestone. Something which I think they did a very good job of.

A lot of people will complain that Disney dont do enough, and when they do somethign above and beyond, they get told it was horrible.

All people wont like all things that Disney do, but sometimes you need to appreciate that they are making efforts to do things.
Awesome post!! :sohappy:

pways

Castle

I loved it, I even have a snowglobe with the castle as a cake in it. I agree the change is for the event. It always goes back to the beautiful castle that it is, but just fun to see the changes. I take a picture everytime I go of the castle over 40 now and I live in Michigan.:wave:

phichi17

Does anyone have pics of the transition area, meaning where the cake theme merged into the regular castle? I would love to see those.

Peaches Magee

I liked it too. It was an amazing temporary creation to celebrate a huge birthday! It was a little odd looking because we are all used to our landmark Castle look, but it was toony looking, very true to Disney.

:sohappy:

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I liked the castle cake too. As a long time visitor it was nice to walk into the Magic Kingdom and feel like I was seeing the castle for the first time all over again. I thought it was fun and really well done. :)

DiPSU224

Although I didn't love the castle cake, I'm kinda glad that I got to see it all dressed up differently in person. Also, I don't think pictures really gave it justice. It was pretty cool to see up close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom