Cab, Limo Drivers Stage Protest At OIA (MCO)

wannab@dis

Thrawn said:
The point was not to get guests to the resorts, but to keep the guests as on-property captives for the duration of their stay.

I believe it was always seen as a two-fold accomplishment... filling resorts AND keeping guests on property.

Thrawn said:
But I will agree with you that I believe it will remain free.

I don't know. I'm surprised that Disney changed the stipulation on pre-arranged reservations being required now. So, they may in fact start charging a small fee. Not so much to "make money" but an attempt to placate the livery groups.

I don't see how DME is much different than the Towncar companies.

thats the thing there is no difference they are attacking wdw because of its size and money making profit. they know if they fight disney it will make national news and bring its company more attention which is what they want. but it most likely wouldnt even make the news if they fought a towncar company

MickeyTigg

jvenegas said:
I really don't believe that DME will become a paid service once the Celebration is over.

From the DME driver I know....the word there is that there will be a charge for the service after the Celebration is over.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Carolwood said:
The rides aren't cheap in one of the cabs. In fact, it's one of the best fares a driver can get, $50 to $70 each way.

Hello, Exactly..... duh! :lol: They thrive on raping the tourists wallet. I mean...sheesh... a town car is cheaper than that.

wannab@dis

TiggerRPh said:
From the DME driver I know....the word there is that there will be a charge for the service after the Celebration is over.

A Mears bus driver is an even less reputable source than a WDW bus driver. :lol:

Kwit35

JimboJones123 said:
Should disney shut down all their hotels as well since they take business away from other orlando hotels??

How about all the business Taco Bell loses by having food courts at the hotels -- or even worse -- the money shell loses from the on site gas stations??? YIKES-- those disney guys are such jerks...
Way to go Jimbo.. well said. :lol:
A vacation is so expensive that I think it is nice to get a little perk every once in a while. And, so what if Disney is 'holding us captive'. I would gladly spend my entire vacation 'trapped' at Disney, spending all my money at Disney. To be enveloped in the aura of Disney for any period of time sounds good to me!
But that is just my opinion.

LaughingGravy

Carolwood said:
"They need to stop that, because people have families. They need to support their families, too," said Sharif.

In NJ, we had tolls going both ways, until recently, on certain parts of the Garden State Parkway. When the majority had been asking for years why we just can't have them on one side, the reply was that it would put toll takers out of work.
Our recent experience with DME as far as convenience from MCO was incredible. We just had to get on the bus. 50 minutes later, we were checked in, had seen our room to confirm keys worked and all was OK, and were walking under the tunnels walking onto Main St. USA in the MK.
By the time we got back form seeing SpectroMagic and Wishes and a little shopping, our bags were in our room.

SpenceMan01

How do transportation services work at MCO? The cabs, etc. are just allowed to line up and then they take people from there? I know they're not allowed to be on certain levels and rope people in. I can understand how having greeters in the airport can be an unfair advantage, but now Disney can't even give rides to people without prior reservations.. even if they specifically ask for it?! How about we put the cabs on the same level? No rides unless you have a prior reservation with that customer! See how long they live after that! I think I remember hearing that there is a DME counter somewhere in the airport, am I right? Well, why can't they serve walk-ups there? How much different is that than the travelers going to the line of cabs for a ride? Instead of greeters Disney could just pay for advertisements in the terminals telling people about DME and where to go for it.

I dunno, I may be over simplifying the situation, but those crybaby livery services are just annoying.

wannab@dis

TiggerRPh said:
We'll see.

I really depends on how much Disney tells Mears about this. She's been reliable so far.

It's a running joke around here to not trust anything a CM says, especially bus drivers. It was just a continuation of that joke. :D

Disney has always hinted to the public that DME will only be free during HCOE, so it won't surprise me if they do start charging. That way, they can always run it for free when they need to kick the resort occupancy up a notch.

jvenegas

wannab@dis said:
It's a running joke around here to not trust anything a CM says, especially bus drivers. It was just a continuation of that joke. :D

Disney has always hinted to the public that DME will only be free during HCOE, so it won't surprise me if they do start charging. That way, they can always run it for free when they need to kick the resort occupancy up a notch.

I don't think it will happen (charging for the service), but if it does, maybe we should think of imitating the cabbies and stage a protest ourselves unitl they bring it back for free. Long live free rides to WDW!!!:lol:

Buick87GNXv6

Well on Oct.27th ill be using Disney transportation and if these companies keep making trouble ill use Disney transportation every year also. Its like being mad at walmart for selling toilet paper!!!! how dare they monopolize the market!!!

This is America right?

CRO-Magnum

Let's look at history...

TiggerRPh said:
I am somewhat sympathetic to the drivers, but only to a point. I thik it should be a level field....the DME should only be for reserved riders...no recruiting of add-ons.

It is a level field. Everyone has access and the right to compete. Disney has as much right as any taxi/limo driver to shuttle people to and from the Disney property. Is it in the best interests of the consumer to have to pay for a ride someone else is willing to provide for free? I haven't heard taxi/limo drivers in Vegas complaining about hotel courtesy limos.

The cab drivers have had indications for YEARS that Disney, Orlando, and Orange County wanted to improve transportation from the airport to Disney property. Instead of being proactive and lowering their rates, improving their service, and marketing the cab/limo drivers essentially raped a captive public. As one who often travels to Orlando on business at or near WDW I avoid cabs and limos like the plague.

This is simply free market economics. Lower cost providers are always welcome competing on cost and driving competition, something which has been sorely lacking in this space in Orlando.

What would they be saying if the light rail or monorail projects to the airport materialized?

I have no sympathy. Nobody protects my job arbitrarily because I have children to feed and a mortgage.

SpenceMan01

I bow before the all wise CRO-Magnum
worship2wd.gif

lewisc

Very well written post. Not accurate but well written.

It's not, or at least wasn't a level playing field, when Disney had exclusive access to level three. When Disney was allowed to solicit business on behalf of Mears and towncar companies are not allowed to solicit business. It's not a level playing field when towncar companies pay a higher fee than Disney does. It's not a level playing field when Disney is pricing their service below cost (FREE) to drive the other companies out of business. It's not a level playing field when Disney is given exclusive access to the luggage.

DME benefits the customer. It gives good service. I use it and like it. MCO isn't going to stop it. Just don't pretend it's a level playing field.

CRO-Magnum said:
It is a level field. Everyone has access and the right to compete. Disney has as much right as any taxi/limo driver to shuttle people to and from the Disney property. Is it in the best interests of the consumer to have to pay for a ride someone else is willing to provide for free? I haven't heard taxi/limo drivers in Vegas complaining about hotel courtesy limos.

The cab drivers have had indications for YEARS that Disney, Orlando, and Orange County wanted to improve transportation from the airport to Disney property. Instead of being proactive and lowering their rates, improving their service, and marketing the cab/limo drivers essentially raped a captive public. As one who often travels to Orlando on business at or near WDW I avoid cabs and limos like the plague.

This is simply free market economics. Lower cost providers are always welcome competing on cost and driving competition, something which has been sorely lacking in this space in Orlando.

What would they be saying if the light rail or monorail projects to the airport materialized?

I have no sympathy. Nobody protects my job arbitrarily because I have children to feed and a mortgage.

Brian_B

Yet another example of how everyone in this country wants everything handed to them, and that things will work out if they whine loud and long enough.

Pathetic.

- Brian

CRO-Magnum

I continue to disagree

lewisc said:
Just don't pretend it's a level playing field.

Either you believe in a free market economy or you don't. I assume from your comments you don't but rather you believe in protectionism, an economic policy that has proven destructive in every instance from small (local) to large (entire countries). It's ashame that rather than reward the innovation demonstrated in Disney's program you are instead faulting them for being in business. I, for one, fault the low quality, expensive providers.

I find fault with every one of your points. Unfortuately the order in which your points are given do not lend themselves to a coherent counter-argument so please forgive the change in order, but I will address each point.

First, there is nothing illegal or unethical about Disney giving away free shuttle access to/from WDW from/to MCO. A long standing precedent exists in the form of airport hotel shuttles. Disney has a right to give away whatever it wants for free as long as A) it does not have a monopoly which it never will since I doubt MCE will be expanded to every possible destination in the Orlando metro market and beyond and B) it makes business sense which in the case of making it easier for guests to get on property (a LONG standing complaint) is in the best interests of Disney as they compete with other destinations.

Second, Disney is not soliciting business because with a free service there is no business being conducted. Mears, cabs, and limos would be free to solicit participants (can't call them customers) if free rides were compatible with their business model. Why aren't they complaining about hotel shuttles which solicit? Why don't the cab/limo drivers go after the hotels that provide free shuttles to the area attractions?

Third, if, in fact, cabs/limos are paying a higher fee it is likely due to the fact they are generating profit from their services whereas Disney is not. Disney's profits derive from the stay at the hotel, again just like area hotels who provide free shuttles. The airport is required to provide equal access by law but if the precedent is to attach fees to profits, and a company has no profits to show, then they certainly cannot justifiably charge the same amount.

Fourth, Disney does not benefit from driving the competition "out of business" for multiple reasons. First, MCE takes a LONG TIME compared to getting a cab and for many people time is more valuable than money. Second, MCE is focused only on Disney resorts and not everyone that spends time and money on WDW property stays at a Disney resort. Third, MCE takes you to your resort hotel, not alternate destinations including others off Disney property. It is actually a very limited service. Fourth, it is in Disney's best interest for people to continue to use alternate transportation because Disney loses money on each bus that departs. However for each guest who loathes using the other options available Disney now looks like they care.

Finally, you imply that giving Disney improved access was unfair. However these people are Disney customers coming to stay at a Disney resort. Any level of access, including being able to pull the bus up to the airplane with the bags teleported directly to the armoire drawers in the room, is perfectly reasonable. Admittedly I'm sure Disney used their power to drive these benefits, but they should as it is in the interest of improving customer service. These people are not coming to ride in cabs so the cabs/limos cannot argue for equal access because they don't deserve it. Disney built the destination. Disney does the marketing. All these guys do is leach off Disney's business performing a necessary service. They should be thanking Disney for all the years they had before MCE.

The problem isn't Disney, it's the fact that the other shuttles, cabs, and limos did such a poor job charging such high rates. Think of how badly you have to be screwing people to create that kind of opportunity. And then think of how stupid you have to be for biting the hand that's feeding you.

The answer for the chauffeurs is to lower costs, improve service, and work to become competitive by advertising the downsides of MCE and delivering service that eliminates those pain points. It's not Disney's fault for getting involved, it's the fault of the existing chauffeur services for creating the opportunity for Disney to get involved.

Oh, and remember that Disney hasn't done this in California, Japan, France, HongKong, ...

Bytowner

As I've stated in an earlier message you really have to wonder why the cabbies are complaining about DME during Disney's low season. 5000 people per day during the low season? What will they say when Christmas rolls around or next summer when the high season gets back into gear?

And this talk about Disney charging for the service when the celebration is over. I mean really, people! The Orlando Sentinel has stated that it costs between 50 to 70 dollars to take a taxi from the airport to a hotel at Disney. Having always stayed off site I can at least attest it costs 50 to get to an off-site hotel as well. That's a hundred dollars I spend on transportation and that doesn't include getting my baggage transported to my room!

So let's say Disney charges 50 dollars for the complete service, or say 60, or say even 70!!! You're still saving money!!! Taxi drivers have used me for a cash cow for the last time. Now there's a Disney alternative, and I for one appreciate it!

james15

I own a fleet of taxi cabs in Springfield Mo.Where the closest airport to Branson Mo .12 years ago during the Branson boom we where the only game in town.Of course with the boom came all kinds of other transportation options. Heck at spfd airport the tour bus companys have there own terminal with a nice big awning while are passengers have to walk through the elements for us to load.Now here is where i have a problem with the Orlando cabbies yes we lost a whole bunch of $85 Branson runs but business increased each and every year since. Instead of the $85 runs we got a whole bunch of $25 runs from people killing the day in springfield before going to Branson.We run just has many if not more cars out of the Springfield airport now.These drivers are hurting there cause.Not to bright to protest by not taking care of the customers that do need your services.The first time i took a cab in orlando i was in shock you better deal with a legit company rates veried alot.Instead of biting the hand that has feed you all these years they need to address the problem has why there business has dropped so much.In most resort areas convince comes before price has long has its a fair price.We get hundreds of people a year who had booked other transportation options but due to weather or late flights or various other reasons choose the taxi option.My guess is the legit companys survie and the other will be gone in a year.In the taxi business you have to find ways to attract new riders you cannot wait for them to find you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom