Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
Meh, only Tiki Tiki Tiki Room is untouchable. Everything else it open for debate/consideration

Let's all sing like the birdies sing... in the Tiki Tiki Tiki Tiki Room.
Those two are iconic the rest can be subed for new songs. Let's all Sing might not have been written for the attraction but it's still synonymous with it, IMO. The rest of the songs are easily forgettable. Much like the Moana soundtrack, fwiw.

Phil12

Let's not forget that the Tiki Room was privately owned by Walt Disney and that you could not use an "E" ticket to gain admission. You had to pay a separate fee $0.75 that went directly to Walt Disney. Also, the employees of the Tiki Room attraction were not Disneyland employees but rather directly employed by a separate subsidiary of Walt Disney's private business. Walt Disney did not pay rent or a lease fee on the property either. The Tiki Room was a great example of how Walt Disney absconded with money from Disneyland shareholders. Naturally, TWDC doesn't like to talk about this matter.

ImperfectPixie

Let's not forget that the Tiki Room was privately owned by Walt Disney and that you could not use an "E" ticket to gain admission. You had to pay a separate fee $0.75 that went directly to Walt Disney. Also, the employees of the Tiki Room attraction were not Disneyland employees but rather directly employed by a separate subsidiary of Walt Disney's private business. Walt Disney did not pay rent or a lease fee on the property either. The Tiki Room was a great example of how Walt Disney absconded with money from Disneyland shareholders. Naturally, TWDC doesn't like to talk about this matter.
Was that WED Enterprises, do you know?

Magenta Panther

Because nobody cares.

Beat it before Mickey gives you the hook.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
"A horrible gimmick song"? And why, pray, do you say that? It's a song about birds, singing. And what is the Tiki Room about? Birds! Singing! That song was written in 1933. It's a classic song. Not a thing wrong with it, and it fits the Tiki Room perfectly.

Gimmick songs are gimmick songs whether written in 1932, or Mairzy Doats in 1943, Purple People Eater in 1958, The Streak in 1974, Barbie Girl in 1997, or Who Let the Dogs Out in 2000.

Doesn't matter how old it is, it's a novelty song wherein one doesn't sing at all like birds by singing "TWEET".

FrankLapidus

Because it's irrelevant and very, very few people care?

tirian

"Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" is a horrible gimmick song that is eminently disposable. As is most of the exaggerated, ethnic, and misogynistic dialogue of the four narrators. It's not like those birds are actually from those countries. Most of the other songs can stay.

Maui inciting the plants and tikis to sing the song that awakens the volcano is an easy fit. Just put a tiny, projected Maui running around and jumping from mountain to mountain. Moana coming in and singing the Te Fiti calming song ends the eruption.
The four emcees are caricatures of popular celebrities of the day, men who typically hosted revues (e.g. Bing Crosby and Maurice Chevalier). Ironically, it’s the song “Let’s All Sing...” that highlights this.

Also, since when do ethnic accents immediately equal racism? Especially when there are no jokes directed against any of those cultures? The accents aren’t played for laughs, either. It’s definitely a clumsy 1960s attempt to sound a bit more exotic in Adventureland, but none of it is racist.

And “misogynistic”? Because of the showgirls that are still common in revues? Please quote the actual lines that are hateful towards women.

I wasn’t going to reply because I don’t want to start a wildfire that requires an administrator, but the Internet has made it too easy — and popular — to carelessly toss around hypersensitive labels that don’t actually apply.

If you’d like, we can respectfully continue this in a private message.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The four emcees are caricatures of popular celebrities of the day, men who typically hosted revues (e.g. Bing Crosby and Maurice Chevalier). Ironically, it’s the song “Let’s All Sing...” that highlights this.

Also, since when do ethnic accents immediately equal racism? Especially when there are no jokes directed against any of those cultures? The accents aren’t played for laughs, either. It’s definitely a clumsy 1960s attempt to sound a bit more exotic in Adventureland, but none of it is racist.

And “misogynistic”? Because of the showgirls that are still common in revues? Please quote the actual lines that are hateful towards women.

I wasn’t going to reply because I don’t want to start a wildfire that requires an administrator, but the Internet has made it too easy — and popular — to carelessly toss around hypersensitive labels that don’t actually apply.

I've said my piece.

FrankLapidus

I'd have to agree.

I can understand the complaints about POTC and why Disney felt they had to alter certain scenes - I just don't see any cause for the same kind of complaints about the Tiki Room.

Musical Mermaid

They’re macaws! 🤣 They don’t have to be from those countries to speak with accents or imitate popular singers. Hawaiians don’t solely listen to Polynesian music or watch Polynesian tv shows, so it’s not impossible for the birds to have listened to other popular musicians or accents. It is particularly amusing in “Let’s All Sing Like the Birdies Sing” that they’re prompting the audience, full of humans, to sing like they do, while they’re displaying their ability to imitate humans singing. That song was not inserted by mistake, it was a clever decision.

Also, because someone brought it up about the time period of the Jungle Cruise (can’t put Moana there because *gasp*, 1930s!), Moana was set 2,000 years ago and the tiki birds were clearly set in the 20th century. Moana would be an example of an anachronism in the Enchanted Tiki Room as well.

Brad Bishop

Adventureland screams Moana to me unfortuntately. Also wonder what the big new TS could be. I'm guessing maybe replacing Tomorrowland terrace or somewhere on main street maybe if that's even possible.

When I first saw that movie, not only did I think it was really good, but I also thought it'd translate REALLY WELL into a dark boat ride.

It wasn't a $1B IP, though, so no dice.

The problem with closing CBJ or Tiki is: What are you going to put there? It's a small space build for a show. You can't do much more than a spinning carnival ride there. They had/have the same problem in Tomorrowland. Some of the footprints of those buildings will never allow them to do anything more than a show. That's not bad, but if you're going to get rid of a classic show then you had better replace it with a really fantastic show. They sort of did this with Laugh Floor. It's not fantastic, but it's better than what was there. That's an oddity (forgetting that it doesn't belong).

My guess is what was said above and it probably is the same way, ultimately, for COP: The crowd it draws doesn't cover the maintenance it requires. All of those moving parts in both attractions are costly for shows that have no lines (same with CBJ). It wouldn't surprise me if all three were gone in the next decade? "Replaced with what?," you ask? Nothing. Just shuttered. They have a history of just closing things down without tearing down the structure or replacing it with something else.

EricsBiscuit

Well you’re forgetting that the Tiki Room employed new technology later used by Disney and that it brought attendance increases that benefited the park and shareholders without the shareholders having to pay anything. Walt also financed other attractions through RETLAW. It was a mutually beneficial agreement.

rle4lunch

If the Powers That Be want to include Moana in the show somehow, personally I have no issue with it (although I thought the movie was a bit lacking, frankly, and Moana is not a particularly appealing princess - although she's better than Merida, FWIW). There's nothing wrong with an update and refresh as long as the spirit of the Tiki Room is preserved (which is exactly the opposite of what happened with Under New Management). But we don't even know if something like that is happening. We'll just have to wait and see, and hope, if it does happen, that TDO doesn't it up...

While Moana's story is a 'bit' lacking (you know the twist pretty early on, and it's the same 'twist' 75% of Disney animated stories have had in the last decade), but the movie itself is beautiful, the songs are catchy and powerful for the scenes they're depicting, and well, it's pretty dang funny. The shark head scene gets me everytime (I'm a 42 year old man for cripes sake). I think that scene steals the movie.

TJJohn12

As an historian of race and American popular culture, I'll weigh in and at least confirm that a few moments of the show are genuinely troubling.

Wally Boag's Jose in particular is a typical mid-twentieth century stereotype of an overwrought Southern Californian Chicano accent done by a white voice actor. It is racial "representation" in the same way that Al Jolson was in the 1900s-1910s.

When the Tiki Room debuted, Los Angeles was only two decades off of the Zoot Suit Race Riots and Speedy Gonzales had been around for just a decade. The Jose character's voice was quite obviously intended as an ethnic joke in-and-of-itself - as evidenced in one example by the "whatever happened to Rosita?" line when all the "French" birds are introduced. Jose is meant to be laughed at from his very first line. "My siestas are getting 'chorter and 'chorter..." is a blatant play on the 20th-century trope of Mexicans as "lazy." If Jose (or Fritz... or Pierre...) were portrayed by actors of their particular ethnicities, *that* would be representation. Tiki Room is just blatant stereotypical caricature.

One of the things Moana did well - that Tiki Room did abysmally - was cast actors of the *actual* ethnicity they are portraying in their given roles. The majority of the voice cast of Moana voiced their characters again in their native language versions of the film - either the Maori or Hawaiian depending on their tongue.

If they did a new version of the Tiki Room soundtrack dub today, then they should hire a Mexican-American voice actor for Jose. And I guarantee they'd vocally balk at delivering the lines with the Pancho-Villa-Treasure-of-the-Sierra-Madre stereotype voice Wally Boag put on in 1963.

TJJohn12

I learned that I was meant to understand “the birds will fly away for changes” to refer to the DAK show, not the Tiki Room.

I never think of the DAK show. Sometimes I wish the info I receive was less “riddle” and more “this is what is happening.” I conflated this with the preexisting rumor that the Tiki Room will see 50th updates.

To be fair, that riddle was very close to a line from the show. So it’s an understandable leap.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
They are factually not, in every possible way. They are the laziest written songs I've ever heard from a Disney animated feature. I've gone over it before but Moana's songs are subpar, and mediocre. I prefer my musicals to have songs that don't speak down to me as if I'm some neanderthal.
Odd. I dont recall “general mayhem” ever mentioned in those songs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom