Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Castle Cake Apologist

I think Moana could work very well in The Jungle Cruise since she’s an explorer. In fact, I think she’d work better over there than the Tiki Room. That attraction needs some updating too.

The Jungle Cruise doesn't have any Polynesian influence, while The Enchanted Tiki Room is literally a love letter to Polynesia. How would Moana fit better in the Jungle Cruise?

Musical Mermaid

First, it’s a boat ride. There is a lot of boat activity in that film, more than singing birds and flowers. Also, Moana is an explorer, not someone who parties with singing birds. Snow White has German influence, so should we add her to Biergarten? Sometimes things don’t belong together even if they have the same geographical setting.

Look at what Disney did to Maelstrom. If they could rip out Norwegian themed props and substitute IP, they could rip out African/South American/Asian themed props and replace them with scenes from Moana’s island or other places she visits. There could be a scene with the pirate coconuts, they could add the crab to the cave, the island with the heart could be added. It just takes imagination.

Animal Kingdom has a lot of the African and Asian influence with real animals. Also, I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a cast member with good delivery of stale jokes on the Jungle Cruise. They all sound like they want to go home and take a nap. I’m really not in favor of adding Moana (or a lot of IP in general) to any attractions, but I wouldn’t ever say it couldn’t happen with Disney’s history.

Musical Mermaid

Not to mention that if Moana was set in the 1930s it’d be a much darker movie.
They don’t have to keep the time period when they’re changing a ride. My point was that the ride would be changed, not receive a cheap overlay. A Moana themed boat ride would make much better use of the IP, because of the heroine’s desire to explore on the water rather than sing songs in a hut (which seems forced). I’d think fans of Moana would prefer that too if they had to have her in an attraction. Hong Kong has some fire and water effects at the end of their Jungle Cruise ride. Just imagine how incredible new effects with fire and water could be in this boat ride.

That would be my take if Moana had to be shoved somewhere in Adventureland and replace something. The only other boat ride in that land is Pirates of the Caribbean and I think Moana would work better with the plants and outdoor setting of the Jungle Cruise area. If it ever were to happen, Disneyland, Tokyo, and Hong Kong still have Jungle Cruises. Walt Disney World has the benefit of real animals at Animal Kingdom.

Bocabear

I would rather they shove Moana into an an new attraction in her all new mini land replacing Chester and Hester at the AK. You already have the undersea Nemo musical, now finish carrying it through to an entire South Pacific area...Tidal reef tanks, animal and sea life exhibits, Replace the Finding Nemo musical with a purpose-written Moana show and a spectacular water based ride that wouldn't necessarily get you wet (not a rapids ride).
I would hate to see them force this lovely IP into an existing attraction that would not suit.,..especially a 1930s Jungle cruise... The story of Moana takes place in antiquity...thousands of years ago...it would be like putting Hercules in Frontierland because his sidekick was kind of a horse...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I would rather they shove Moana into an an new attraction in her all new mini land replacing Chester and Hester at the AK. You already have the undersea Nemo musical, now finish carrying it through to an entire South Pacific area...Tidal reef tanks, animal and sea life exhibits, Replace the Finding Nemo musical with a purpose-written Moana show and a spectacular water based ride that wouldn't necessarily get you wet (not a rapids ride).
I would hate to see them force this lovely IP into an existing attraction that would not suit.,..especially a 1930s Jungle cruise... The story of Moana takes place in antiquity...thousands of years ago...it would be like putting Hercules in Frontierland because his sidekick was kind of a horse...

How about shoving her into two attractions!*

*Tiki Birds and new Epcot FW water feature

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member

If they'd rename the land to a generic Oceanic-inspired title they could drop in all of the sea-inspired IPs. S.E.A, Nemo, Moana, Atlantis, 20,000 Leagues, etc. This would also allow Disney to keep Nemo Theatre saving them monies.

tirian

If any Moana songs were to be added, I think that the “We Know the Way” song would fit the Polynesian theming better in the Tiki Room. “How Far I’ll Go”, as a princess specific song, is already in Happily Ever After and it works better in the context of that show.
I think Moana could work very well in The Jungle Cruise since she’s an explorer. In fact, I think she’d work better over there than the Tiki Room. That attraction needs some updating too.
First, it’s a boat ride. There is a lot of boat activity in that film, more than singing birds and flowers. Also, Moana is an explorer, not someone who parties with singing birds. Snow White has German influence, so should we add her to Biergarten? Sometimes things don’t belong together even if they have the same geographical setting.

Look at what Disney did to Maelstrom. If they could rip out Norwegian themed props and substitute IP, they could rip out African/South American/Asian themed props and replace them with scenes from Moana’s island or other places she visits. There could be a scene with the pirate coconuts, they could add the crab to the cave, the island with the heart could be added. It just takes imagination.

Animal Kingdom has a lot of the African and Asian influence with real animals. Also, I can’t remember the last time I’ve had a cast member with good delivery of stale jokes on the Jungle Cruise. They all sound like they want to go home and take a nap. I’m really not in favor of adding Moana (or a lot of IP in general) to any attractions, but I wouldn’t ever say it couldn’t happen with Disney’s history.

Or Moana could have a new experience instead of being shoved into existing classic attractions. Then (we hope) she could have her own new classic one day, similar to how Radiator Springs Racers and Flight of Passage have been quickly accepted into the Disney Park canon. ;)

FigmentFan82

As a quick aside, one of the times I was in WDW last year, we went to the Tiki Room and the cast member working it was facing the control box as he started his spiel. He then proceeded to go into a long and detailed welcome speech to Space Mountain and how it was a high octane thrilling attraction etc etc. Then he turns around dumbstruck to discover he's in the Tiki Room and is at a loss for words and kind of struggles along to do the Tiki Room spiel. I was cracking up at how how funny this was to experience in person. I don't know if anyone has ever had this similair experience by a cast member who is clearly having a fun time with their Tiki Room shift, but I thought it was a hoot!

Last edited:

Musical Mermaid

How about shoving her into two attractions!*

*Tiki Birds and new Epcot FW water feature
Oh, no. ☹️

Or Moana could have a new experience instead of being shoved into existing classic attractions. Then (we hope) she could have her own new classic one day, similar to how Radiator Springs Racers and Flight of Passage have been quickly accepted into the Disney Park canon. ;)
That would be ideal, as I’ve stated before, not being a fan of IP replacement. It seems like some people think I am a fan of it, since I threw out some ideas about how something could work. I’m not in favor of adding Moana to the Jungle Cruise and I don’t really care if Moana is added anywhere (just thought that if Tiki birds or the boat ride were repurposed, she’d fit better in a boat ride and in its current state, I believe it needs a serious overhaul, IP or not). Disney doesn’t seem to want to make room for new experiences though. They’re more inclined to replace the existing ones or put them “under new management”. I’m glad our It’s a Small World isn’t flooded with Disney characters.

FigmentJedi

Reminder that Adventureland has a perfectly good expansion plot and unused Fire Mountain concept that could easily be retooled for Moana that only requires a minor Jungle Cruise reroute to connect to the park. Like I'd prefer the full Atlantis hybrid coaster concept, but a flume ride would definitely work for Moana.

KevinPage

I’m weird with the Tiki’s: love the main song and love its legacy but I actually enjoyed UNM, even though at that time I wished they kept a bit more of the original in it.

I find GG/Iago hilarious and he had so many incredible funny lines. That being said it had its time and I was glad they brought the original back.

BUT, I think a Moana overlay, if done tactfully, could work really well. It would give the attraction a shot in the arm it needs, ties in with the movie fairly seemlessly, without being overly “jokey”.

Keep the entire main song and bird banter., then weave in 2 Moana songs, keep a few more of the originals, having Moana sing along with it. I think you can really have your cake and eat it too with this attraction.

CBJ is a MK original, so you don’t need to tamper with that. But Tiki is a DL original, so it’s not “as” untouchable as CBJ 😎

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Keep the entire main song and bird banter., then weave in 2 Moana songs, keep a few more of the originals, having Moana sing along with it. I think you can really have your cake and eat it too with this attraction.

"Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" is a horrible gimmick song that is eminently disposable. As is most of the exaggerated, ethnic, and misogynistic dialogue of the four narrators. It's not like those birds are actually from those countries. Most of the other songs can stay.

Maui inciting the plants and tikis to sing the song that awakens the volcano is an easy fit. Just put a tiny, projected Maui running around and jumping from mountain to mountain. Moana coming in and singing the Te Fiti calming song ends the eruption.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
"Let's All Sing Like the Birdies Sing" is a horrible gimmick song that is eminently disposable. As is most of the exaggerated, ethnic, and misogynistic dialogue of the four narrators. It's not like those birds are actually from those countries. Most of the other songs can stay.

Maui inciting the plants and tikis to sing the song that awakens the volcano is an easy fit. Just put a tiny, projected Maui running around and jumping from mountain to mountain. Moana coming in and singing the Te Fiti calming song ends the eruption.

Yes to everything but getting rid of "Let's all Sing like the Birdies Sing"... them's fightin words!

Magenta Panther

"A horrible gimmick song"? And why, pray, do you say that? It's a song about birds, singing. And what is the Tiki Room about? Birds! Singing! That song was written in 1933. It's a classic song. Not a thing wrong with it, and it fits the Tiki Room perfectly.

"exaggerated, ethnic, and misogynistic dialogue of the four narrators." Oh bull hockey. Are you serious? What about diversity? One parrot has an Irish accent, another, Mexican, another, French, and the last, German. It's called inclusion, junior. Are the Small World dolls wearing the native dress and performing the ethnic dances, etc., of their representative countries racist to you? In what way are those parrots offensive? Exaggerated? Are you saying that Irish, Mexican, French and German folk have no accents? It's so funny that people who claim to celebrate diversity seem determined to erase any differences between ethnic groups. Let one characteristic be portrayed by an ethnic character and "OMIGERD THAT'S SO RACIST!!!!" If the dialogue of the birds has any flaw, it's that it's a bit dated; one of the parrots does a Bing Crosby impression, for instance, that probably a lot of kids today wouldn't recognize (although you can bet they've all heard Bing Crosby's "White Christmas"). But the show is still charming and magical and not the least bit offensive to anyone with sense.

If the Powers That Be want to include Moana in the show somehow, personally I have no issue with it (although I thought the movie was a bit lacking, frankly, and Moana is not a particularly appealing princess - although she's better than Merida, FWIW). There's nothing wrong with an update and refresh as long as the spirit of the Tiki Room is preserved (which is exactly the opposite of what happened with Under New Management). But we don't even know if something like that is happening. We'll just have to wait and see, and hope, if it does happen, that TDO doesn't it up...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom