Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Cmdr_Crimson

TWDC most likely has plans to put the Tiki Room under new management. Kevin from "Up" will be joining the show along with his friend Dug.
They've done other things in Tokyo.....:cautious:
FrailMassiveConey-size_restricted.gif

DeletedAccount55555

I don't think he has a press pass.

Disney deals those out on a case-by-case basis for events and openings anyway, don't they?

Either way, the writer of the post vehemently shut down the rumor through an official source, so if plans to do otherwise were still on unbeknownst to the writer, they inadvertently put said plans in a PR corner.

I think you're onto something here. I don't see why anyone on the PR side in Disney would post such an aggressive response only to lie about

I’ll eat some crow with response from the DPB post today. I was wrong.

And thank you for doing so. The worst thing about Tom is his refusal to correct old stories. Still laughing at his 2015 claim that Universal would close Hulk by the end of the year and Marvel theme park rights would revert to Disney.

Good journalism would have put the summary in the first sentence or two and then expanded on it.
Like they "confirmed" the gutting of Land and Seas, which every insider here said was bogus?

Or when they "confirmed" the rumor of the name change to DHS?

The "they confirmed it by denying it" is tin foil hat territory.

This is just more proof that what Tom does is not journalism.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is that getting announced at the D23?

It was one of Spirit's that never came about. Like the many-year delay of Star Wars Land. Or that the Guardians overlay was going to come to DHS (even though at the time, WDW was considering doubling down on the ToT theme with an attached lounge).

Don't do that. You know he had credibility the guy broke the tower of terror news before anyone.
Credit where credit is due. He also called the gondolas, the Rat ride, and the Star Wars hotel in that post.

Credit due? He was of the same ilk as Corless. He never admitted when he was wrong. And when he did give his 'insight' it was always wrapped in anger. He had soured on Disney and the way it was run and was drum major for the hateratti.

Speaking of how name calling is unprofessional, that's what he did all the time.

Anyone who liked anything about Disney was discredited with ad hominem: the current execs don't know anything, the current imagineers don't know real imagineering, the bloggers, and the lifestylers, and the public were all wrong. The only person left standing who really knew what was what was himself.

And as much as he mocked the lifestylers, he was one. Visiting all the international parks. Owning several weeks of DVC. Reveling in his inside info. Even promising to start his own blog that would break all his inside information and be the ultimate stick in Corless's eye.

Where's the blog?

And where did he call the gondolas? Our own sleuth @danlb_2000 figured that one out from water management permits. The first post is just pointing our rumors that are going to happen, not that they're his breaking rumors. Which, BTW, is wrong about the Speedway.

Sped2424

It was one of Spirit's that never came about. Like the many-year delay of Star Wars Land. Or that the Guardians overlay was going to come to DHS (even though at the time, WDW was considering doubling down on the ToT theme with an attached lounge).

Credit due? He was of the same ilk as Corless. He never admitted when he was wrong. And when he did give his 'insight' it was always wrapped in anger. He had soured on Disney and the way it was run and was drum major for the hateratti.

Speaking of how name calling is unprofessional, that's what he did all the time.

Anyone who liked anything about Disney was discredited with ad hominem: the current execs don't know anything, the current imagineers don't know real imagineering, the bloggers, and the lifestylers, and the public were all wrong. The only person left standing who really knew what was what was himself.

And as much as he mocked the lifestylers, he was one. Visiting all the international parks. Owning several weeks of DVC. Reveling in his inside info. Even promising to start his own blog that would break all his inside information and be the ultimate stick in Corless's eye.

Where's the blog?

And where did he call the gondolas? Our own sleuth @danlb_2000 figured that one out from water management permits. The first post is just pointing our rumors that are going to happen, not that they're his breaking rumors. Which, BTW, is wrong about the Speedway.
He had a huge ego no one is denying that and yeah sometimes that personality of his conflated his posts and lead to some rants that were unnecessary. But do not put him in the same ilk as tom, tom has gotten cast members I KNOW in trouble and fired bc tom thought he was god whenever he visited the parks and anyone who didn't bend to his whim deserved a call. I don't recall Spirit ever having that same type of attitude or going out of his way to do that to anyone. You may have not liked him personally, but don't conflate that with him and cloreless being one and the same.

As for his info it was almost always straight from the source and he broke many a story long before they happened. You may have not liked him and yeah he may have gotten a thing or two wrong but many an insider here can attest that he was the real deal and his info was solid. As for him not starting his blog good for him I hope the guy moved away from disney all together it was clearly as you said starting to bum him out thinking about it and being involved with it as much as he was. Point is you may not have liked or agreed with him, but he was by all means an insider and his knowledge and info were solid.

General Mayhem

This is some definitely interesting news, I think it's a good idea to leave the Tiki room alone seeing as it has a vast wealth of merchandise sold in the parks. I'm very sad about CBJ leaving if true, but at least we're not losing both of them.

trainplane3

I don't think he has a press pass.
Correct. A surprising amount of Disney "fan" sites don't have press access. You can lose it pretty easily from what I've heard. Sites find a way to gain the access to they want regardless (usually delayed or with the GP) but Disney takes the easy way away from them.

T didn't have press access for SWGE but he go into the land through multiple single day hotel bookings (notice the delay in SWGE news from them?) but TPR got it. Remember when GMR was closing and he got bitter that Disney didn't give him what he wanted? One writes favorable reviews on everything, the other doesn't.

I can't remember if this site has press access or not. Judging by the very honest reviews (aka positive and negative, real critiquing) and how they pay for everything, I'll guess no but could be wrong. I am not knocking this site at all, fyi.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
As for his info it was almost always straight from the source and he broke many a story long before they happened. You may have not liked him and yeah he may have gotten a thing or two wrong but many an insider here can attest that he was the real deal and his info was solid. As for him not starting his blog good for him I hope the guy moved away from disney all together it was clearly as you said starting to bum him out thinking about it and being involved with it as much as he was. Point is you may not have liked or agreed with him, but he was by all means an insider and his knowledge and info were solid.
It was at one time but got less and less solid towards the end. I suspect his best source(s) ended up drying up - maybe because they left TWDC, or because Spirit made enemies - but his predictions in the last year or two was very hit or miss - much more so than others on this board. But he continued to act as if he knew everything.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Where's the blog?

I confirmed it, but others had hinted that it was happening before I found the permits. I am not sure if WDW1974 was one of them or not.

Aries1975

He had a huge ego no one is denying that and yeah sometimes that personality of his conflated his posts and lead to some rants that were unnecessary. But do not put him in the same ilk as tom, tom has gotten cast members I KNOW in trouble and fired bc tom thought he was god whenever he visited the parks and anyone who didn't bend to his whim deserved a call. I don't recall Spirit ever having that same type of attitude or going out of his way to do that to anyone. You may have not liked him personally, but don't conflate that with him and cloreless being one and the same.

A Spirit thread was actually how I stumbled upon WDWMagic. Each trip, we take photos of our kids as they grow in front of the todem at the Wilderness Lodge Mercantile. While riding the boat from MK, I noticed some earthwork (soil borings?), got curious, googled, and found the stormwater plans for Copper Creek in a Spirit thread.

I have always wondered why he was so angry with Disney management. It was as if Iger had personally insulted his mother or someone else very close to him.

Wherever he is, I wish him well.

Bender123

The name calling is childish. A simple “we want our fans to know that despite rumors to the contrary, there are no plans to stop the Tiki birds from singing in the Enchanted Tiki Room.”

Except this keeps happening...This is about the third time they, likely, have had a tweet storm and fan action against them over the stupid things TC has posted.

At this point, WDW looks to be getting ahead of the game and saying that his "knowledge" is suspect.

drizgirl

The name calling is childish. A simple “we want our fans to know that despite rumors to the contrary, there are no plans to stop the Tiki birds from singing in the Enchanted Tiki Room.”
I agree with that, if the attraction remains unchanged for the foreseeable future. But if there's something afoot to overlay it, like adding Moana (which they did not deny in the post) then I think they look foolish for coming out so strong against the rumors.

ToTBellHop

Except this keeps happening...This is about the third time they, likely, have had a tweet storm and fan action against them over the stupid things TC has posted.

At this point, WDW looks to be getting ahead of the game and saying that his "knowledge" is suspect.
I understand them getting out ahead of it since they are sick of him. The choice the include "unscrupulous" should be beneath them. TC is obnoxious, but at the end of the day, he's a fan. Disney shouldn't resort to name-calling fans.

BoarderPhreak

Just playing devil's advocate here... Running a rumor site (of any kind) is a bit of a thankless job. You build up various "sources" over the years and get anonymous tips and try to stay ahead of your competition - and yes, that means sometimes debating furiously if there's just enough trust in the rumor to post it and Get The Scoop.

When you post, your site gets hammered. People discuss pro/con. Things are good.

When you're right, people suddenly leave your site for the official channel(s). You are forgotten.

When you're wrong, people roast you alive for being a bullsh!tter. You are a pariah.

I'm not defending Tom. He's definitely got a bit of a... Reputation 'round these parts (and beyond). But like I said, running a rumor site is a thankless job. Stick to the news, and if you have to post a rumor - call it out as such and admit defeat when it's wrong. You can't win them all.

Bender123

I understand them getting out ahead of it since they are sick of him. The choice the include "unscrupulous" should be beneath them. TC is obnoxious, but at the end of the day, he's a fan. Disney shouldn't resort to name-calling fans.

Sometimes you need to fire a fan, if they are more trouble than they are worth. Tom has obviously passed from being a "fan" into a liability that isn't worth their effort to support.

Ive worked in a few companies that would specifically price out/nonrenew/actively anger certain clients that we did not want to renew. Its not something you think about, often, but there is a business reason to get rid of fans that step out of line.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom