Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Stevek

So... WHAT. A. MESS.

DPB calls out "...sources" (let's put aside their scruples for a moment) for saying the Tiki birds are going away. You know, like @Ronnie Sanford (shakes fist at Ronnie!!! :p ) and Twitter's Passport to Dreams. In fact, Passport to Dreams has been on the drum beat for people to write to Disney to save the Tiki Room. Which is probably why DPB is responding to the rumor.

Now, Corless never said the Tiki room or the birds were going away. He said it's getting a Moana overlay (an old rumor once mentioned by @marni1971 ).

But Corless is interpreting the reference to "unscrupulous sources" as being a reference to him. <engage hissy fit> Corless rightly defends himself as saying he never said it was going away, just reporting on a rumor of an overlay.

And now everyone is schadenfreuding all over Corless for no good reason (this time). If a Moana overlay comes through, he'll be (rightfully) throwing this all back in your faces (you who are dancing on the grave of his reputation).

It pays to read carefully, folks.
If Tom wasn’t such a jackhole I don’t think anyone would have issues with him putting rumors out there...plenty of folks here have done it over the years. His arrogance and complete lack of maturity, further exhibited by his responses, means I have zero issues dishing it out. He’s earned the criticism and if he “threw it back in our faces” it would just add more fuel to the fire. You have to pretty much be a first class <insert favorite word here> to have that big of a Disney fan site and still be on their bad side.

Stevek

And although I don’t really care for Corless’ work, the DPB is really surprisingly unprofessional coming from an official company mouthpiece. They really ought to be above stuff like this.
Meh, it was surprising to me but I’m guessing they’ve had enough of him. Like I said earlier, if they really want to make a point they should just revoke his AP and ban him for a year.

KevinPage

Meh, it was surprising to me but I’m guessing they’ve had enough of him. Like I said earlier, if they really want to make a point they should just revoke his AP and ban him for a year.

Disney is not the NY Knicks. That would be beyond petty and likely cost them way more bad press and a lawsuit than trying to send whatever point they are trying to make

Tick Tock

You know he had credibility the guy broke the tower of terror news before anyone.
Credit where credit is due. He also called the gondolas, the Rat ride, and the Star Wars hotel in that post.
He and Martin are the only two I feel are worthy to be called Insiders or Rumor Mongers. They delivered the goods, and were (usually) spot-on. Hopefully one day Spirit will make a grand return to the forums.

ToTBellHop

And although I don’t really care for Corless’ work, the DPB is really surprisingly unprofessional coming from an official company mouthpiece. They really ought to be above stuff like this.
The name calling is childish. A simple “we want our fans to know that despite rumors to the contrary, there are no plans to stop the Tiki birds from singing in the Enchanted Tiki Room.”

Donaldfan1934

There is no corner. Plans change and that’s always Disney’s line. Disney said Al Lutz was lying about changes to “it’s a small world”.
Yes, Disney has lied about their plans in the past, but as time goes on and social media becomes more prevalent, the less likely they are to get away with that sort of thing. They may still try, but less and less people will buy into their excuses. Ultimately, the public denial of rumors is definitely a major point in favor of those supposedly trying to save the attraction even if their battle isn’t completely over yet.

aladdin2007

The name calling is childish. A simple “we want our fans to know that despite rumors to the contrary, there are no plans to stop the Tiki birds from singing in the Enchanted Tiki Room.”

I agree, and also cant help but think maybe the company was getting deluged (which is a good thing really before too late) with complaints about it possibly closing?

Cmdr_Crimson

We know the rules.."When you mess with Polynesia...The Tiki Gods will Squeeze ya!"
1454280206_0946e8f89b_z.jpg

Stevek

The funny thing is that the vast majority of the folks out there would not make the connection to Tommy Boy.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Let’s unpack this.

1. Everyone’s favorite Disney villain Blogger has clearly gotten under the skin of Mr Thomas Smith and/or his corporate overlords. Taking a “pot shot” indicates that clearly there is some degree of TRUTH to both of these rumors, otherwise why be annoyed?

2. They still have not commented on CBJ which indicates the rumor has a very strong degree of truth to it. I’m sure the thousands of emails management has received has bothered them that this was even leaked in the first place.

3. The original rumor post re: Tiki was (correct me if I’m wrong) an overlay. And Thomas Smith did ZERO to dispel those rumors. “Evolving”, “no plans soon” are such vague terms. They didn’t dispute any overlay at all.

3. After 11 comments appears the DPB locked out any further comments as most kept referencing CBJ.

Disney’s silence is defeaning it seems 😎
All of this...if anything, the DPB post is basically confirmation of two big rumors.
Like they "confirmed" the gutting of Land and Seas, which every insider here said was bogus?

Or when they "confirmed" the rumor of the name change to DHS?

The "they confirmed it by denying it" is tin foil hat territory.

Notes from Neverland

The word "replace" used by that site does not convey or mean overlay. That headline is/was wrong when it was published prior to the backtracking. It doesn't take an advanced journalism degree to realize the angle he was going for, which based on the outcry, was a successful economic decision for the website even with Disney disputing.

No Name

I don’t really love the tiki room. I last saw it when it opened after the fire and thought it was a waste of time.

Regardless, I like the energy in Disney’s denial of the rumor. The statement is entirely appropriate.

Phil12

TWDC most likely has plans to put the Tiki Room under new management. Kevin from "Up" will be joining the show along with his friend Dug.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom