Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Buried20KLeague

Baby Groot where the Magic Fountain used to be.

Rocket on a swing overhead a la Teddi Bara.

The birds all sing the Pina Colada song.

The show writes itself.
200_s.gif

Soarin' Over Pgh

It's easy to focus on the main star(s) of the ETR - the birds. But IMO, I like effect of the rain and thunder outside - and especially the chanting tikis, more. Then there's that song... It wraps itself around your cerebellum and won't let go. And while the pre-show is kind of cool, with the waterfall and all - who can deny that the building, when seen from the likes of JC just looks awesome? No, this isn't just a bunch of snapping birds and a showtune.

I didn't care much for the ride (sorry, just my opinion- that said I do like Disneyland's) but I did enjoy photographing it inside and out. :( The unique pre-show is a nice touch too.

Buried20KLeague

Eh. That area of California Adventure is in dire need of theming and help. And let's be honest, their Tower has always been a lesser sibling to the original. I love the Tower of Terror, but I can also understand the desire to give that area of CA something truly unique rather than a simplified version of the original ride. The art I've seen has been really impressive. I'm curious to see what they do. And if it's bad, then I'll call them on it, but it intrigues me much more than demoralizes me.

Thematically, the GotG tower will be close to the most out-of-place attraction in Disney Parks history. That, IMO, renders any point beyond that moot.

What they're doing to DCA's tower in relation to where it's located and the sight-lines it's going to create shows all of us exactly how far they'll sink to jam something down our throats regardless of any outside logic.

Buried20KLeague

I kind of think of it a little like Star Wars: Live action and animated stories are equally valid ways of exploring that universe even though aesthetics are significantly different between said projects and with further projects since then, we've seen them playing around with the two styles with Miss Adventure Falls falling into the animation camp and the more subdued look being utilized in the portraits of the off-screen characters they've been retconning in at WDW.

Mystic Manor's only really glaring contradiction is that ribbon cutting photo where Henry and Albert are just standing amongst a bunch of normal looking people. They really should have just kept the illustration thing going that they had in the rest of the queue gallery. But other then that, it's pretty internally consistent.

I noticed that picture right away in the que and said the same thing. It was jarring. Even the photo of the SEA. The odd thing is if they just made Henry Mystic look more "normal", nobody would bat an eye... Even with Albert being a bit cartoony and getting a personality and decision making capabilities.

RSoxNo1

Considering that the original concept for the Tiki Room was a restaurant, this idea would bring things full circle! I would totally be behind either adding the birds to the Skipper Canteen (perhaps changing the story of the restaurant a little to incorporate them), or creating a new restaurant somewhere else in Adventureland. Or maybe even turning the Tiki Room show building into a quick service location.
The Skippers saw the birds were going to be kicked out of their home so they found a home for them in the Skipper Canteen. You can even go the Harry Potter owelry route and have some white streaking in the area themed around the Tiki birds. Everybody loves thinking about bird droppings when they eat.

RSoxNo1

Thematically, the GotG tower will be close to the most out-of-place attraction in Disney Parks history. That, IMO, renders any point beyond that moot.

What they're doing to DCA's tower in relation to where it's located and the sight-lines it's going to create shows all of us exactly how far they'll sink to jam something down our throats regardless of any outside logic.
The difference is that DCA's Tower is being incorporated into a new Marvel themed area in a park that is likely to be renamed. I don't disagree for a second that it's an eyesore, or that it is otherwise a mistake, however I think Frozen Ever After is a bigger mistake.

PhotoDave219

The remains of the Tropical Serenade aka The Enchanted Tiki Room (aka a Top 10 Fanboi nostalgia lovefest) looks like it is about to fly the coop for good.

According to multiple sources, the attraction, which saw a reprieve a few years ago when it went back to a shortened version of the original 1971 show from the poorly received Under New Management update following a fire that damaged the facility, is on the chopping block and very, very likely to leave.

At this point, I will only call this a rumor (but the gondola system is a rumor and happening, the Rat ride at EPCOT is only a rumor and is happening, the Speedway removal is a rumor and is happening, the new DVC at CBR is a rumor and is happening and the Star Wars themed BOUTIQUE resort experience is a rumor and is most definitely happening).

As to what will replace it, that is unclear at present and one source even suggests it could remain with a new Stitch overlay reusing the pricey AA just like TDL has, but I don't see that.

And with other plans for Adventureland percolating, and Disney having no care for its past beyond shilling merchandise and D23 events and the like, I would expect Jose and Fritz and Company to fly away for good in the near future.

...... who comes up with the asinine decisions?

Buried20KLeague

I don't think Shanghai has roaming characters either (someone correct me if I am wrong).

We came across a number of randomly roaming characters, and frankly, nobody cared. They haven't been bitten by the Character Bug in SDL like they have in the other Asian parks. Meeting Mickey was a walk-on, for example.

They have set locations for character meets, certainly. But we saw randoms as well.

Ironically, the longest character wait? Captain America.

Casper Gutman

The problem you have is that most of what you listed happened under Eisner's watch - not Iger. I am NOT defending Iger in any way shape or form, but in lots of ways, Eisner was just as bad during his last 10-12 years in office.

The negative trends born at the end of Eisner's term continued - there isn't a sharp break.

And Eisner basically saved the Disney company and then proceeded to give us the Disney Decade. He deserves a lot of slack when considering his effect on WDW and Disney as a whole. What has Iger given fans of the Florida parks?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The negative trends born at the end of Eisner's term continued - there isn't a sharp break.

And Eisner basically saved the Disney company and then proceeded to give us the Disney Decade. He deserves a lot of slack when considering his effect on WDW and Disney as a whole. What has Iger given fans of the Florida parks?

Quality and attraction cuts and price increases. Beyond that Bupkis

brb1006

Unfortunately it would be...and they would come up with tons of guest surveys saying that guests preferred meet and greet experiences more than actual attractions...Look at the person on these boards that was upset because she didn't know how to tell her neice that she might not be able to meet Moana... THAT is the problem... as long as guests keep telling TWDC they want Meet & Greets instead of attractions, that is exactly what we are going to get!
What user was that? I think there's a thread for that?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The fact that Disney went out of their way to make such a big deal about the original show returning to WDW after the fire only to potentially remove it a short number of years afterward feels like a giant kick in the jewels.

A completely expected, predictable, par-for-the-course kick in the jewels.

In fact, I could envision them having the Dreamfinder announce the official closing while standing on a 20k sub, in front of a backdrop of Horizons, while showing off the new line of "going away forever" merch that will be in limited release (for only 3 years!).

You forgot one part, added that for you. :D

More disheartening news from the ODT (Orlando Destruction Team, formerly known as "TDO"). If the Tiki Room does cease to exist at WDW in the near future, then there is truly nothing sacred, and every attraction built before 2012 will likely be scrutinized under a money-colored microscope to see how more $$$ could be extracted from the walking ATMs (aka. Guests).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
The problem with the "out with the old, in with the new" mindset of the ODT is that, as mentioned previously, nostalgia is what brings many people back to WDW with their children. What happens when the rides & attractions that created those nostalgic memories and feelings are gone, thus giving future generations of potential WDW guests no reason to visit? This is the embodiment of cutting off your nose to spite your face, of short-term gains over long-term planning. Very disappointing.

Goofyernmost

You might want to investigate the history of the contrivance originally known as Walt Disney Inc. The proof you're looking for is in the undisputed recorded history of TWDC. Both Roy O. Disney and his son Roy E. Disney were disgusted with Walt's unsavory and unethical business practices. And in reality, Walt never got his comeuppance because he was crafty enough to settle the lawsuit before it went to court. And as for your assertion that time has sufficiently healed the wounds of Walt's dishonest behavior, I think the company would like to distance itself from as much of the "bad Walt" as they can. Did you know that between 1955 and 1981 TWDC (current name) paid RETLAW (current name in 1981) $75 million that came directly out of the shareholders pockets?

With the death of Dianne Disney Miller in 2013, the Walt Disney Family Foundation is beginning to fade. Since there was no love lost between TWDC and the foundation, TWDC is now in a better position to get rid of old attractions such as the Enchanted Tiki Room which hold such bad memories for TWDC.

You might want to check on the Disney family feud between the "Roy Boys" and the "Walt Boys" which might help you to better understand the massive dis-function in the Disney family. Did you know that Roy O. Disney and Walt Disney stopped talking to each other for over a year because of Roy's revulsion with Walt's unethical business practices?

I know a lot of Disney fans that just prefer not to know about the "bad Walt". And those are the same people that are often surprised and distressed to learn of changes in the parks.

FYI the current Disney family (as of 2014) is no better off: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walt-disney-family-feud-inside-706029
I read all about that stuff that happened after Walt's death and frankly I don't care. I don't care if Walt took every nickle he could from the wonderful thing he created. Look how much that his replacements have taken from the stockholders, or don't you think that those gigantic bonuses affect how much return stockholders get. They are getting richer then Walt ever dreamed of just riding in on his massive coattails. You cannot steal from yourself and any income that the Disney Company managed to come up with was rightfully his. Yet, here you are trying to make me be upset because he found a way to protect some of his family and himself from the greed of the outside? Don't think that's going to happen. Find another cause, like the crap head Iger building up his own personal wealth before the whole company implodes from many of his bad decisions.

The feud between Roy and Walt was much less about unethical business practices and much more about his oft dealings in things that seem irresponsible. Again, The Disney Company was Walt Disney's company. He has given million of people many years of enjoyment of his imagination. If anyone thinks that his protecting his income is bad, really needs to think about who was upset by his moves. Was it possible those that were not going to be able to get there nasty mitts on more of Walt's generated income?

You don't have to like Walt Disney, but, to not acknowledge that were it not for him and him alone, none of what we enjoy now would even exist. As far as I'm concerned he didn't get to personally gain financially anywhere near the degree that he deserved. Take you hate campaign to another location please.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom