Rumor Bye Bye (Tiki) Birdies?

Sir_Cliff

What?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Girl, you crazy.....How can you hate the songs from Moana? J/K-to each their own but I love the music from that movie more than the movie itself...

Well, the album is still sitting in the Billboard Top 100 album charts almost two and a half years after the film was released. People like what they like, but all signs point to Moana being one of Disney's most popular soundtracks. I doubt Disney is regretting hiring Lin Manuel Miranda.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

ImperfectPixie

Frozen actually won Golden Globes and Academy Awards, where are Moana's awards? Not to mention Frozen was a world wide phenomenon and Moana was not. Yall want to talk about Accolades yet Moana comes up pretty dry except for one Grammy.
Those of us who actually have a wide range to our tastes feel that Frozen's music has been played/used to death.

Amused to Death

@MouseBrayden did a nice summary of the controversy...

How does this kid get through his videos without ever stopping to take a breath? You'd think he'd pass out! There's nothing wrong with his content — good stuff — but trying to listen to him talk at hypersonic speed, arms flailing wildly, without drawing a single breath, is quite exhausting. He seriously needs to make the switch to decaffeinated pixie dust. o_O

Donaldfan1934

Yes, and I don’t see fixing the fountain as going backwards at all. It shouldn’t have been taken out. I’ve seen video of the Disneyland version and it adds to the beauty of the show. I think what I enjoy most about this attraction is that it starts looking like this abandoned tropical hut, because everything is in the dark, then the birds, flowers, and tikis bring it to life. I wish I could see the original version too.
As someone who has seen the Disneyland version in person before, I strongly agree with your asessment on the fountain. The Disneyland version also still has the sing along portion of “Let’s All Sing Like the Birdies Sing”, which plays a big part in increasing audience engagement as well. If the MK were to make the tweaks, they could really inject new life into the attraction for its 50th anniversary.

ImperfectPixie

How does this kid get through his videos without ever stopping to take a breath? You'd think he'd pass out! There's nothing wrong with his content — good stuff — but trying to listen to him talk at hypersonic speed, arms flailing wildly, without drawing a single breath, is quite exhausting. He seriously needs to make the switch to decaffeinated pixie dust. o_O
There are a lot of young people on YouTube who do that same exact stuff...and my 13-year-old doesn't understand why I find it so nerve-wracking to listen to. Their tone alone stresses me out.

Tony the Tigger

So, I am certainly curious to read the thoughts of others about what's appropriate versus what crosses the line.

That’s easy. Don’t pretend something is a fact when it isn’t. Use disclaimers like, “This can change, but...” or “This is unconfirmed, but...”. What’s so hard?

I always try to be as open-ended as possible since I understand how much is in flux during all of these internal project discussions.

See?

danheaton

Moana has some of the worst songs ever written for a Disney film. Lin Manuel Miranda should just stick to rap where he belongs.

I have to respectfully disagree, as the soundtrack really lifts up the movie for me, especially "How Far I'll Go" and "We Know the Way". I will say that after talking to Mark Mancina on my podcast, he did say that Lin Manuel Miranda actually had pretty limited time to work on Moana because of Hamilton blowing up during that time. Mark wrote most of the music and had a lot more to do with the finished product than LMM. Opetaia Foa'i also was involved in writing the songs. So pinning it just on LMM is too simplistic given how the songs came together. Mark also mentioned that the story kept changing for Moana, so doing the songs was quite challenging.

General Mayhem

I have to respectfully disagree, as the soundtrack really lifts up the movie for me, especially "How Far I'll Go" and "We Know the Way". I will say that after talking to Mark Mancina on my podcast, he did say that Lin Manuel Miranda actually had pretty limited time to work on Moana because of Hamilton blowing up during that time. Mark wrote most of the music and had a lot more to do with the finished product than LMM. Opetaia Foa'i also was involved in writing the songs. So pinning it just on LMM is too simplistic given how the songs came together. Mark also mentioned that the story kept changing for Moana, so doing the songs was quite challenging.
I still find them to be poor in quality, I prefer Howard Ashman, Stephen Schwartz, and David Zippel when it comes to lyrics. The songs in Moana lack wit, and sophistication. Each song sounds like it was made for people who find Chili's to be high class. So whether or not Lin was responsible for a majority of the music he still takes credit for it. I like my film's without his lackluster influence, thanks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom