Bye bye Mickey soaps?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
They are locked and you need a key to open them. We used the wall dispensers at the last hotel I worked at. You could break the whole thing off the wall and the cap will still be locked. Also guests call was less frequently for shampoo/conditioner/body wash refills. I think it's great!
Based on the picture posted all the way back on page 1 there is a key. That’s assuming that picture is what they go with.

halltd

Don’t know if this is the same subject or not, but the Mickey soaps were gone at the FW cabins a month ago when I stayed there. They were replaced with larger “Disney Resorts” H2O+ Beauty products. Seemed wasteful to me because the products are big and they’d still bring brand new ones daily. In a week, we only went through one soap/shampoo and barely cracked a second set.

MinnieWaffles

Don’t know if this is the same subject or not, but the Mickey soaps were gone at the FW cabins a month ago when I stayed there. They were replaced with larger “Disney Resorts” H2O+ Beauty products. Seemed wasteful to me because the products are big and they’d still bring brand new ones daily. In a week, we only went through one soap/shampoo and barely cracked a second set.

Those bottles last quite a while, at least 3-4 times if you use a sponge or washcloth to lather.

Nubs70

20171108_064936.jpg

Embassy Suites - Birmingham Alabama

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Soap dispensers in the room rather than individual Mickey bottles no thank you. There are a lot of sick people out there (even @ WDW) who could easily tamper with soap dispensers. Sad how Disney cuts the little things that make Disney special just to save a few bucks and annually raises the room rates.

It's because Disney only cares about the money, Guest experience is secondary because 'Guests will come no matter what we do'. That is until they don't

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's because Disney only cares about the money, Guest experience is secondary because 'Guests will come no matter what we do'. That is until they don't
Sad but true. They could raise the price another 10%, tack on parking and resort fees, get rid of bellhop service and valet parking, and close all the restaurants and replace them with vending machines and people will still book weeks at a time.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
My family got back on Monday from 5 nights at Saratoga Springs and Kidani. From a visual perspective, I'm pretty disappointed with the bland, generic "Disney Parks"-branded bottles of soap/shampoo/body lotion in the rooms now. They are nothing special and that just reeks of "cost containment" and "They're tourists... Whadda they know?". It's apparently too much hassle to get a character on the bottles or even a set of Mickey ears imprinted on the bottles somewhere now?

Last edited:

fosse76

Not to defend Disney, but I've noticed this trend at other hotels, both here and abroad. And not just budget hotels, but also 4- and 5-star hotels.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
For comparison, the current soap/shampoo/lotion bottles from Kidani.
IMG_2247.JPG

I see these along with the above picture from the Baymont Inn and can't help but think that Disney is sliding back to the pack instead of setting itself apart. I'll dig out some of the older soap/shampoo bottles I have and post pictures of those so everyone can compare for themselves.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I think I'm missing a "generation" of soap and shampoo bottles, but here are the oldest ones I have along with a more recent incarnation. The two facial soaps, one is boxed and the other in a paper wrap. The bath soap bar is roughly twice as thick as the facial soap bar is.

These are not in and of themselves a huge deal, but I feel they are more indicative of "cost containment" and taking a little bit of "Disney magic" away.

IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2272.JPG

raymusiccity

I think I'm missing a "generation" of soap and shampoo bottles, but here are the oldest ones I have along with a more recent incarnation. The two facial soaps, one is boxed and the other in a paper wrap. The bath soap bar is roughly twice as thick as the facial soap bar is.

These are not in and of themselves a huge deal, but I feel they are more indicative of "cost containment" and taking a little bit of "Disney magic" away.

View attachment 247197 View attachment 247198

We need to start an evolution chart for Mickey Soap. I'm sure we'll get challenged by some creationist :angelic:
IMG_2071.JPG

G00fyDad

View attachment 247197 View attachment 247198

I miss those red, white, and black ones.... :(

jpeden

In the Parks
No
So I was at an Aloft in Asheville, NC recently (about $250 a night) and they have soap dispensers in their showers.

As for soap being paper/plastic wrap, I've seen that randomly in all level of hotels in various parts of the world.

This is a weird thread.

I always try to stay at SPG hotels, and this has always been the case with Aloft hotels. The strange thing about Aloft is sometimes it's $97 a night, and sometimes it's $300.

Starlight67

I know that in reality the remote in the hotel room is probably way more germ laden than the soap dispensers are. But something just SEEMS grosser about bottles shared with other guests in a shower. :eek:

And I'm with all the bar soap people. Absolutely need a full size bar of Dial to feel clean, and always bring one along from home.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom