News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

TROR

Country Bears and Tower of Terror are two cinematic classics that got robbed of the critical and fan recognition they deserved!

Not to mention Eddie Murphy's Academy Award worthy performance in the Haunted mansion. :p
I honestly enjoy Tower of Terror (1997). It has a weird nostalgic quality to it despite the fact I never saw it until the early 2010's. Must be all the late 90's Hollywood shots.

SuddenStorm

I honestly enjoy Tower of Terror (1997). It has a weird nostalgic quality to it despite the fact I never saw it until the early 2010's. Must be all the late 90's Hollywood shots.

Sometimes, a direct to TV Disney film is comforting in all the right ways, and bad in all the right ways. It's like a quick shot of Disney nostalgia when the mainstream stuff won't do.

mickEblu

HKDL's Ant-Man ride is not coming to DLR. The Marvel team is interested in the parks having unique attractions, which is great!

Just curious, why is it that they don’t want to clone Marvel rides? Disney seems fine coming evedything else, like Star Wars Land for example. Is this directive coming from Marvel Studios? Why would they care whether or not rides or cloned? Don’t get me wrong. I think it’s cool, particularly because it looks like DLR may end up with the best Marvel attractions worldwide between Spiderman and Avengers. However, Not sure how I’d feel about the no clone thing if my home parks Marvel attractions consisted of a shooter and a simulator.

Ismael Flores

If they tear down the huge bugs life theater and don’t use that property for an attractions it will seem like such a waste.
With all of bugsland including FfF and the Timon parking they have plenty of room for a new Blvd and two large attractions. The entrance from the parade route can be widen without the need to tear down that theater.

I would really think a good idea would have been to use it for another darkride.

mickEblu

If they tear down the huge bugs life theater and don’t use that property for an attractions it will seem like such a waste.
With all of bugsland including FfF and the Timon parking they have plenty of room for a new Blvd and two large attractions. The entrance from the parade route can be widen without the need to tear down that theater.

I would really think a good idea would have been to use it for another darkride.

That’s what I was thinking. Opening the land with a net loss of 5 attractions seems like a very lackluster and odd approach. Granted, 4 of them were simple flat rides that didn’t have very much capacity and the other has become a movie preview center for 6 months out of the year. I’m not even saying the park will suffer so much from the capacity loss because ideally the restaurant, meet n greets and stores could offset that but from a marketing perspective?

I guess long term, a complete gut and rebuild so they can deisgn the land properly is probably better for the park. Although I think they could still pull it off without leveling ITTBAB and an extra ride would be nice. However, I would sacrifice an extra shooter ride so they could have more real estate to do the other two rides justice.

Last edited:

Robbiem

Of course basing attractions on movies will date them - there are very few classic IPs which stand the test of time, some of the classic animation, star wars, potter may be fairly timeless in the long term but others like the marvel and POTC movies IMO will fade over time and that will make the attractions feel older. One reason why the great movie ride has closed was that a large proportion of people didnt know the classic movies portrayed on the ride. I think the real staying power of an IP isnt in the box office but the degree of immersion the world it creates. To me Marvel just doesnt create a full emersive world in the way Star Wars, potter or even avatar does.

Marvel may have been around for a long time but it is reinterpreted to keep it fresh rather than developing along its existing lines like Star Wars has for example. If we were 40 years ago we’d be talking about a Nicholas Hammond based spiderman ride or a Bill Bixby hulk one - would these have dated as well as Star Tours which has a similar era IP, or would Star Wars have dated as well as it did (both versions) if it featured 80s film of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo etc rather than timeless droids and non face characters?

Similarly do we think that Shanghai’s pirates or the updated rides around the parks wont look dated when a movie hasnt been made in years, or will they become the modern version of Honey I shrunk the audience or Armageddon in Paris

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Ismael Flores

Does anyone actually believe the image used for DCA's announcement is actually any sort of concept art for the actual land? I don't.

I think it’s more of a teaser with collective elements of what might be coming in the land.
The Guardians tower is there, what looks like a redressing of the back of the animation building is there as well as a collection of other possible structures.

Does seem like something that was created by the film division in this case “marvel” in Conjunction with WDI. It would make sense because supposedly Marvel pictures was heavily involved in the design process.

Even the little video they released is made to feel like a movie teaser.

truecoat

My guess is they'll make a theater and have a show similar to the one going into DLP. I know they said they weren't cloning attractions but what about a live action show?

Marvel Show.jpg
Marvel show 2.jpg

Professortango1

Now that it's open on Broadway I'm sure by 2020 they won't care about having it anymore... Although a Marvel show in an actual theatre seems odd to me.

Especially because the Marvel traveling show is pretty terrible. I mean, its fine for an arena show, but not park quality.

Professortango1

They could create a 60 minute version of Spiderman Broadway... it failed so hard it could be so great.

I'd be down for that if they completely re-designed it. The comic book look was interesting, but it made the entire show cornier than it already would have been. But then again, a Spiderman theme park musical show brings back the horrible memories of Spider Man Rocks at Universal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom