News bye bye bugs: Marvel Land announced, opens 2020

SuddenStorm

Disneyland was a name change?

Also Disney MGM Studios and Epcot Center where not extremely different to their new name and DHS is still Studios, Epcot is still Epcot.

When they built DCA, they renamed Disneyland "Disneyland Park", which is part of the "Disneyland Resort", which also includes Downtown Disney and DCA.

At least I think that's what they were referring to.

brb1006

I didn't really care for Super Hero Island in IOA. I just didn't care for all the flat billboards and pictures of the characters plastered everywhere. for an environment that is mostly a metropolis I expect Disney to concentrate on making the area looked lived in with plenty of designed themed elements and ornate buildings. Keep the flat character billboards out of the land
Not to mention the Marvel Super Heroes "Parade" which is just Marvel characters riding motorbikes.

Last edited:

George Lucas on a Bench

When they built DCA, they renamed Disneyland "Disneyland Park", which is part of the "Disneyland Resort", which also includes Downtown Disney and DCA.

At least I think that's what they were referring to.

The worst one is The Magic Kingdom. They went out of their way to change the sign so that it reads just Magic Kingdom. Uh, you forgot some letters.

???

VJ

Yes my understanding is that P&R licenses IP being used for attractions from the content provider, even within Disney itself.
That's why attractions like Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters have "Inspired by Disney-Pixar's Toy Story 2" on the marquee, and, on the bottom of the park maps, copyright information. Works the same for Star Wars, Indiana Jones and, I guess, now Marvel.

Ismael Flores

something that Bugsland got right was the immersive theming and Props. I won't miss Bugsland for its attractions but for its environment. It is a shame that that sometimes the resorts and WDI do not work together to see what can be re-use.
in this case Disney and WDI have three Toy story lands being built around the world and one of them only a truck drive away.
They could easily remove the light posts and the clover awnings and re-use them to add another element of theming in toy Story land in WDW. In that land people are supposedly shrunk down to those little green army men so giant clover leafs and blade of grass light poles would have fit the theming.

It would be a nice little nod to what will be an extinct land and it would be something that could be saved and not end up in a scrap yard.
besides, toy story land in WDW would benefit from more themed elements around the coaster

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
BTW, I'm sure this has been talked about on the WDW side, but these are some of the names they are considering for the name change for DHS:

•Disney Beyond Park
•Disney Cinemagic Park
•Disney Cinemagine Park (this one is rumored to be the winner)
•Disney Hyperia Park
•Disney Kaleidoscope Park
•Disney Legends Park
•Disney Storyverse Park
•Disney XL Park

It’s like choosing between dumb and stupid.

Curious Constance

Maybe...but I can't really think of any non-celebrity in an on-attraction human role that has served any better than if it were a recognizable face. I really don't think it matters much because generally if that ever happens (with some exception like MB) they're really just part of a pre-show before they send you along your way. If the whole attraction was their face though, I do see how that could be problematic.

To me, where you run into the issues, is when the celebrity is playing themselves -- i.e. Ellen's Energy. Because in cases like that, they're generally wearing current-day fashion and not covered up in special fx makeup so that when you see them in the attraction 10+years later it all feels extremely out of date and instantly makes everything feel a bit dusty and old.

Superheroes I think have a little more flexibility there due to the costumes and makeup that do a good job of concealing who they are, unless you're Chris Pratt and pretty much playing himself. :)

:)

I just hate that I"m forced to participate in today's pop culture. I'd rather quietly sneak out the back door.

Everyone knows who Mickey Mouse is, not everyone knows who Doctor Strange or Benedict Cumberbatch is, and to me, it's annoying that you have to watch a movie before experiencing a land or attraction to really "get" it.

Little Green Men

BTW, I'm sure this has been talked about on the WDW side, but these are some of the names they are considering for the name change for DHS:

•Disney Beyond Park
•Disney Cinemagic Park
•Disney Hyperia Park
•Disney Legends Park
•Disney Storyverse Park
•Disney XL Park
I refuse to believe these were ever real

britain

I just hate that I"m forced to participate in today's pop culture. I'd rather quietly sneak out the back door.

Everyone knows who Mickey Mouse is, not everyone knows who Doctor Strange or Benedict Cumberbatch is, and to me, it's annoying that you have to watch a movie before experiencing a land or attraction to really "get" it.

I think you can enjoy Indy without seeing the films.

TROR

I think that's something the original Star Tours did really well. Other than C-3PO and R2-D2 which are really just more of a cameo, it doesn't expect you to know any of the Star Wars characters. It's just a journey though the galaxy of Star Wars which is exactly how a theme park attractions based of a film should be: A journey through its world.

I refuse to believe these were ever real
They were real in the sense they were asked on a questionnaire, but I don't believe these were ever the real options for what Disney plans on changing the name to.

BasiltheBatLord

•Disney Beyond Park
•Disney Cinemagic Park
•Disney Hyperia Park
•Disney Legends Park
•Disney Storyverse Park
•Disney XL Park
Wasn't it confirmed that this isn't happening?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Wasn't it confirmed that this isn't happening?
Iger did confirm that they were changing the name last year. But I don't believe it was confirmed it wasn't happening anymore.

The list I provided was asked on a questionnaire to WDW guests. And the one rumored to be the winner I believe was from an insider here.

mickEblu

•Disney Beyond Park
•Disney Cinemagic Park
•Disney Hyperia Park
•Disney Legends Park
•Disney Storyverse Park
•Disney XL Park

These are terrible. But so is the name Hollywood Studios if you think about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom