Buy Disposable Ponchos before you pack

gspin2k1

Original Poster
This is probably part of the whole packing thread. But yeah I highly recommend buying disposable/emergency rain ponchos. They run around $1 each, maybe not quite as high quality as the ones they sell at the park. But they are much cheaper and easier to carry around. You don't need to dry and re-fold them at night, just toss and re-bring a new pack with you the next day..and the packs are extremely tiny and easy to carry in a backpack or purse. i.e. my fiance and i bought 8 which after shipping cost around $15, which is around the price of one ponchos at WDW. We threw away the ones we used at the end of each day, and we still ended up with a couple to use another day. It was nice not having to worry about drying and re-folding them after we used them. They also collapse really small if you only need them during certain times of the day.

~G

gspin2k1

Original Poster
You can buy them at Wal-mart in the camping section, they have heavier ones for a few dollars or the thin ones for under a dollar.

The heavier ones are probably the same as the disney ones, but of course cheaper. Which is a good tip too. The thin ones are way cheap and what I recommend cus you can toss it when you're done with it for the day. And although it's not "green", it's still a helpful trip for WDW travellers.

~G

MinnieLee

We hate wearing ponchos but I will admit that I was doing some shopping at CVS and saw ponchos for $3.00 apiece. Not the greatest quality but would do if the need was there. I decided to buy and pack them because they were small and we were going from 5/17 - 5/24 so in the event we had a typical afternoon thunderstorm, we had something to use. They were packed really small and thin so it was no big deal to carry them in my small pocketbook. Little did I know that we would be using them every day from Sunday to Wednesday. By Thursday I had enough and bought a waterproof jacket with a hood. The rains came and came, with thunder, lightening and a nearby tornado warning on that Wednesday (it turned out that it was closer to Sea World and Universal). By the time we left on that Sunday, 5/24, 18 inches of rain had fallen. So, would I pack ponchos again - for that time of year yes. They were rather thin so they did fold up small again not like the Disney ponchos. Do I really ever want to see another poncho = - NO!!!! Aside from the rain , we did have a great time though - and the rain gave us something else to talk about!

LiveyMouse22

It's a great suggestion to bring along some cheap ponchos for the trip. One year it started POURING in Epcot and my family and I were not close enough to a store that sold ponchos so we had to take some extra (clean) garbage bags from the bathroom and put holes through them. :p Be prepared! It's better than walking through the park in a garbage bag. :lol:
:wave:

gspin2k1

Original Poster
I actually opted to leave my rainproof north face jacket with hood at home for the disposable pochos just cus the disposable ponchos packed easier and covered a little more past the waist which was nice too.

~G

Beccone

I brought a couple of the cheap $1 ponchos with us last year and I don't think they ended up lasting a couple hours:( We ended up buying the ones in the parks, which only lasted a day or so and then we finally stopped at Walmart and picked up some better quality ones which were much cheaper than the ones in the parks. And they were cute too, girls were pink with the princesses on the back and the guys were yellow with Mickey on the back. I saw a few other people in the park who had gotten them there as well. The ponchos were nice because it was easy to spot my family in a crowd of Disney ponchos. I should also mention that we were down last August during Tropical Storm Fay so we pretty much had to wear ponchos our entire visit. I just pruchased raincoats from The Disney Store online for my 3 youngest kids for our upcoming trip this August, crossing fingers that we will not have constant rain like we did last year but I do know that it rains everyday. The raincoats are really cute and super thin, like the ponco material almost and they fold up really small so they'll fit easily in my backpack. And they were in the outlet section so they were pretty inexspensive, less than they ponchos you would buy in the park.

I just want to add that I bought some cheap ponchos for our last trip and they were thin and USELESS! It is worth a few extra bucks to buy the better ponchos at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Even the ponchos in the parks didn't seem expensive to me. It's worth $7 for Disney park ponchos not to be soaked the whole day.

gspin2k1

Original Poster
I just want to add that I bought some cheap ponchos for our last trip and they were thin and USELESS! It is worth a few extra bucks to buy the better ponchos at Target, Wal-Mart, etc. Even the ponchos in the parks didn't seem expensive to me. It's worth $7 for Disney park ponchos not to be soaked the whole day.

You must have gotten a bad batch. Cus I bought the cheapy ones (the ones the same thickness of a garbage bag) and they all worked fine.

~G

either way put a special mark on the back if you get seperated from your party it even for a split second it will be easier to find them. I remember going in 1993 and we bought ponchos b/c it was in late july and it rains in florida in july everyday. we put a mickeydrawing on them and low and be hold i stopped to tie my shoe and lost everyone for a second. i found the mickey drawing and i was all set. otherwise it is a see of yellow!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom