buffet question about tipping

daliseurat

So, no one can give a CONCRETE answer to the original question about whether or not to tip the same for BUFFET vs TABLE SERVICE.

According to GOUND HOUSEKEEPING as well as numerous other tipping guidelines all over the net, 10% is considered to be correct.

I do have to step in on this whole 18% tip that's automatically added to parties of 6 or more.

The reason it's done is that groups of 6 or more are the most likely to undertip and can sometimes be the most demanding. Not saying it's true for everyone, but that is the reason.

Now 18% is a reasonable tip for satisfactory service. So everyone complaining about it seems like a cheapskate. If the service was satisfactory you should be tipping that way. Are you planning to STIFF your waiter even if the service is good? Now, I get the whole PRINCIPLE thing. You want to control the tip. But the way everyone is whining about it it sounds to me like everyone thinks that they shouldn't have to tip in the first place.

None of this is new. This is how it works at restaurants all over. And they ALL tell you up front their tipping policy on large groups. If you don't like it, tough. Go eat somewhere else.

At any table service restaurant, anywhere, the usual tip for satisfactory service is 18%. So as long as the service is satisfactory, what is the difference if it's automatically added or not?

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
So, no one can give a CONCRETE answer to the original question about whether or not to tip the same for BUFFET vs TABLE SERVICE.

According to GOUND HOUSEKEEPING as well as numerous other tipping guidelines all over the net, 10% is considered to be correct.

I do have to step in on this whole 18% tip that's automatically added to parties of 6 or more.

The reason it's done is that groups of 6 or more are the most likely to undertip and can sometimes be the most demanding. Not saying it's true for everyone, but that is the reason.

Now 18% is a reasonable tip for satisfactory service. So everyone complaining about it seems like a cheapskate. If the service was satisfactory you should be tipping that way. Are you planning to STIFF your waiter even if the service is good? Now, I get the whole PRINCIPLE thing. You want to control the tip. But the way everyone is whining about it it sounds to me like everyone thinks that they shouldn't have to tip in the first place.

None of this is new. This is how it works at restaurants all over. And they ALL tell you up front their tipping policy on large groups. If you don't like it, tough. Go eat somewhere else.

At any table service restaurant, anywhere, the usual tip for satisfactory service is 18%. So as long as the service is satisfactory, what is the difference if it's automatically added or not?

The answer was given on page one.
The "standard" for a tip for buffet service is 10% in the US

...so the automatic 18% at about the suggest amount for standard table service is excessive.

dnalorg

After you pay your bill at the front desk you don't give the desk worker a tip, you don't tip the photopass people for taking your picture, you don't tip counter service workers at blizzard beach for taking your order and placing food on a tray for you, you don't tip the WDW bus drivers for picking you up and taking you to EPCOT Center, and you sure don't slip a couple bucks to Mickey for standing still while you take you kids pic with him.

MikeB

For the record, I am SO doing this in September....Just to see the look on Mickey's face!!.....oh......wait.......never mind....

daliseurat

The answer was given on page one.
The "standard" for a tip for buffet service is 10% in the US

...so the automatic 18% at about the suggest amount for standard table service is excessive.

Oh for the love of...

You know, I DID read that. Sorry. And you make the EXCELLANT point of at a BUFFET the added 18% is excessive. My entire rant was based on people not liking the auto 18% on TS that is not a buffet. So, I'm the dolt 2 times.

But, I don't mind the auto 18% as long as the service I do get is good, buffet or not.

And again, at BOMA, the service was terrific.

Llamaface

Seeing as how we're derailing this thread with general talk of the concept of tipping, here's one...

Why is tipping based on percentages at all? Is it more work for a waiter to bring me filet mignon rather than mac and cheese? Does the plate weigh that much more? Why should the tip be more?

Let's face it. Long ago, tipping stopped being about rewarding someone for exceptional service and became a clever way for employers to give their employees a commission (and have you foot the cost) for upselling you more items.

Disneykidder

EXCELLENT point Llama...the waitstaff is still walking out with a plate, whether it IS lobster or a burger...things that make you go hmmm.:drevil:

But to stop all of the madness and sum it all up:
1. tip what you'd like based on service
2. try not to be stingy
3. for a party of 6 or more, if you aren't comfy with the 18% thing, tell them up front and leave what you'd like based on service rendered

Ahhh..........:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom