Buena Vista Street (2012)

hpyhnt 1000

The before and afters that TP posted speak for themselves. A stunning transformation, and the main bulk of it all done in about a year. Amazing work by everyone involved.

Magenta Panther

Oh my goodness, are you kidding???

Nope, and I've done it before. Automatic deposit into a separate bank account is a great way to save up for a trip to WDW, or in this case, Disneyland. That way the cash doesn't get spent on trivialities like food, shelter, gas, etc. Gotta keep those priorities straight :D

Californian Elitist

Nope, and I've done it before. Automatic deposit into a separate bank account is a great way to save up for a trip to WDW, or in this case, Disneyland. That way the cash doesn't get spent on trivialities like food, shelter, gas, etc. Gotta keep those priorities straight :D

That is awesome. Saving is really good for Disney trips. You're not planning on coming out here alone, are you?

sponono88

Original Poster
The walls are coming down! It's so cool to see the street fully revealed after being walled up for so long.. It's finally time for DCA to shine :)

Mickey_777

IMG3384-L.jpg

[quote]

You have no idea how excited I am to have my name on an actual building/facade within a Disney park. Yes I know it's a Sepulveda blvd. reference (been there too) but I'm still geeking out about this :D.

sponono88

Original Poster

Californian Elitist

Man, I wish I was there today! I'm sitting here, bored at home. "Storytellers" looks amazing, as expected and I love the Buena Vista Bugle. Mickey and the newsboys look spiffy. LOVE IT.

Californian Elitist

What is the history behind Kingswell, Julius Katz, and Sepulveda Blvd??

Kingswell Street is where the Disney Studios was located before Burbank. "Julius Katz" originated from Julius, the animated cat from the Alice in Cartoonland shorts back in the twenties. Sepulveda Blvd is a main street out here in Los Angeles. Hope this helps.

sponono88

Original Poster
LaughingPlace had a great article last year that described the history of the names in BVS,

http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID513440.asp

Kingswell Camera Shop:

The other business without an address is the Kingswell Camera Shop. Kingswell Street is where it all began for Walt Disney Productions. When Walt arrived in Los Angeles in 1923, he rented a room from his Uncle Robert at 4406 Kingswell, and for a few weeks that fall used the garage as a makeshift studio. Later, Walt and Roy rented their first commercial property at 4651 Kingswell, and then expanded to 4649 before locating to the Hyperion Studio in January, 1926. It was also at the Kingswell property that Roy Disney operated the camera that photographed the early Alice Comedies. (The notice for Kingswell Camera notes it is located in the “Elysian Arcade.” Elysian Park, located just north of the original Disney Studio, was the first public park established in Los Angeles.)

Julius Katz:

Across the street, at 2701 are Julius Katz Shoe and Watch Repair and Julius Katz & Sons Appliances and More. While there may not be a Julius Katz in Disney history, there was a cat named Julius. In the silent comedy Alice’s Spooky Adventure (1924), Alice cavorts with an unnamed animated black cat. Distributor Margaret Winkler urged Disney to emphasize the new character. Uncomfortably aware that Felix the Cat was already a well established animated star, Disney nonetheless complied, and Julius (as the cat would be named) eventually became well known as Alice’s animated sidekick.

I couldn't find a Disney connection to Sepulveda name, but it is significant because it is supposed to be the longest street in the city and county of Los Angeles.

TP2000

Lots of fabulous backstories and in-jokes with all these new place names along Buena Vista Street.

And then there's a few that are just sort of generic "Vintage Los Angeles". Sepulveda Blvd. is one of those, as it's a major thoroughfare in LA, but also the type of unique name that is probably only found in LA.

They gave Buena Vista Street a fantastic backstory throughout, with lots of love and care taken in the naming and characterization of all the shops and restaurants. This has to be some of WDI's best work ever!

Californian Elitist

Lots of fabulous backstories and in-jokes with all these new place names along Buena Vista Street.

And then there's a few that are just sort of generic "Vintage Los Angeles". Sepulveda Blvd. is one of those, as it's a major thoroughfare in LA, but also the type of unique name that is probably only found in LA.

They gave Buena Vista Street a fantastic backstory throughout, with lots of love and care taken in the naming and characterization of all the shops and restaurants. This has to be some of WDI's best work ever!

Agreed!!!!! Can't wait to visit!

sponono88

Original Poster
A closer look at the vintage car that's parked inside Buena Vista St:

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...a-street-at-disney-california-adventure-park/

When you walk through the new turnstiles at Disney California Adventure park, one of your first visual cues that you have gone back in time is a 1937 Packard Coupe. It’s parked at Oswald’s, and it is a beautiful piece of machinery. This car was a high-end set of wheels back in “the day.” (By the way, this model debuted to the public the same year “Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs” debuted at Carthay Circle Theatre.) It arrived just before the June 15 opening, and Imagineers had some fun pushing it down Buena Vista Street to its permanent parking spot at Oswald’s, as you’ll see in this video. Make sure to check out the Packard up close and find the hidden treasures inside on your next visit to Disney California Adventure park.

nemofinder22

A better look at the patriotic decorations on BVS.
i-MPp6zXj-M.jpg

http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/photos/i-MPp6zXj/0/O/i-MPp6zXj-O.jpg

i-GLtHHbr-M.jpg

http://mintcrocodile.smugmug.com/photos/i-GLtHHbr/0/O/i-GLtHHbr-O.jpg

Photos by Mintcrocodile, see more at the link
http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com/2012/06/six-days-after-relaunch-of-disney.html

Red Car Trolleys
Also I thought this video showed off BVS at a nice time as the sun starts to go down but still plenty of entertainment both "Five and Dime" and Mad T Party are going on as the trolley makes its way down the street.

5:29 is my favorite part, you can see/hear Five and Dime and the monorail making its way over the Hyperion bridge.

Hard to believe this used to be Sunshine Plaza...

Edit-
Red Car News Boys
Full show.

A minor technical difficulty when the background track cuts out, but those live vocals save the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom