Budget to Remove Wand Approved for this Fall

CrashNet

Except that's not exactly how things worked. The designer didn't just look at it and say, you know what this geosphere is missing that I should have added earlier? A wand. The marketing division decided something needed to change and so WDI was ordered to come up with something. I truly don't think their heart was in it which is why we received something so crappy.

I think they probably had a tough time with it as well coming up with something that didn't touch SSE too. I imagine they had to consider avoiding any major alterations to the geosphere itself as well.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
Except that's not exactly how things worked. The designer didn't just look at it and say, you know what this geosphere is missing that I should have added earlier? A wand. The marketing division decided something needed to change and so WDI was ordered to come up with something. I truly don't think their heart was in it which is why we received something so crappy.

It would be like a marketing division for a museum calling up Munch and saying there's not enough pizazz and zing in "The Scream" you are hearby ordered to paint a mustace onto it otherwise we'll destroy the painting completely. He might still do it, but its not because he thinks it needs to be done.

Those are very good points. Obviously, I wasn't in the meeting when they decided to add the wand to Spaceship Earth, but I have a very hard time believing that John Hench didn't have enough clout to refuse its addition.

Eeyore

Premium Member
I don’t mean to get back into the ludicrous debate over fact vs. opinion, but it should be obvious that the wand was never part of any greater aesthetic vision for Spaceship Earth, no matter who designed it and no matter how much people like it.

Do we know this to be a fact? Is it "obvious" simply because it wasn't included when Epcot opened? Just looking for some clarification. :)

sittle

Just to clarify, because maybe I'm not understanding... Are you saying John Hench wasn't well versed in his chosen field?

I would just reread what I stated ...here it is for your convenience:

There are no "What-Ifs". These things are they way they are because somebody had the vision to make it so, and they are generally well versed in their chosen field.

In no part of that statement did I say "John Hench was not well versed in his field." In fact, I said the opposite, and I highlighted it for you.

Read, think then react.

Epcot82Guy

Those are very good points. Obviously, I wasn't in the meeting when they decided to add the wand to Spaceship Earth, but I have a very hard time believing that John Hench didn't have enough clout to refuse its addition.

I think you would be surprised. At the time of the changes in WDI structure that are just now being undone, WDI was becoming an outsourced unit without going out of house. While Hench has a lot of respect, he does not have the pull to stop what the all mighty marketing wants. They get a project and can do that project as best as possible, but still must do THAT project. It wasn't as bad in 98-2000, but the beginnings were in place from what I have gathered.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I like my steak medium rare. But its been raining all afternoon and I only had the INXS album to listen to in the car. I think somepeople do not take care in the application of sun block.
Its just not true that you couldnt swing a cat in here, ok the had gets banged a bit but only at one point.
fisher clark self adhesive labels. But theyre just not tacky enough.

Eeyore

Premium Member

There are no "What-Ifs". These things are they way they are because somebody had the vision to make it so, and they are generally well versed in their chosen field.

In no part of that statement did I say "John Hench was not well versed in his field." In fact, I said the opposite, and I highlighted it for you.

Read, think then react.

I was simply asking for clarification to be sure I was understanding where you were coming from. It was my understanding that you were refering to the masterpieces that you referenced in your other posts not Spaceship Earth. I thought it was your intention to discount (which you have every right to, this is a discussion board afterall) the parallel that I had drawn between imaginary changes in well known masterpieces and the changes to Spaceship Earth. If that were the case then in fact it could be interpreted (or misinterpreted) to mean that you were implying that Munch, Wright, and Picasso were well versed in their fields because they didn't make changes to their original work. Which in turn would mean that Hench was not because he did change his original design.

I did read, think and react. I find this comment insulting. I was interested in a friendly discussion/debate. I have no interest in being spoken to like I'm a child.

MythBuster

I don't usually get involved in discussions like this but it simply comes down to money!! The only reason they would take down the wand and that whole structure is if there is something wrong with it. If a structual engineer said that it is cracking and needs to be repaired. So if costs a lot of money to repair it or maintain it, then they take it down. But if it is in good shape and no problems, no way would they spend money to remove it.

Eeyore

Premium Member
The point of my original post (which I must not have explained well enough) was that the changes that were made were done by the man who originally designed Epcot. We don't have to like them but Disney/Hench were well within their rights to make them. Clearly, Hench felt it was good enough or he wouldn't have let his name be attached to it. I'd be willing to bet that he knew more about architecture and design than any of us. If he didn't he wouldn't have ended up in the postion that he was in.

Sorry to interrupt, I'll let everyone get back to their party. :animwink: :wave:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Read, think then react.

Hey Sittle, how about some common curtesy and respect for others? Eeyore was/is posting some opinions, and your reply was just plain rude.

Sherrybaby

I just wanted to say that I'm with you 100% Eeyore. Not that I have anything to add but a little bit of support helps sometimes :)

I also have to say that I think people who are rude to "assistant administrators" of this site are way out of line. These people are what makes WDW Magic what it is for us. It's always fine to argue a point but insulting people is always wrong (learned in kindergarten) especially people who donate their time to make this site what it is for us.

Sherry

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I just wanted to say that I'm with you 100% Eeyore. Not that I have anything to add but a little bit of support helps sometimes :)

I also have to say that I think people who are rude to "assistant administrators" of this site are way out of line. These people are what makes WDW Magic what it is for us. It's always fine to argue a point but insulting people is always wrong (learned in kindergarten) especially people who donate their time to make this site what it is for us.

Sherry

I'm glad some people actually realise and understand this. Thanks Sherrybaby.

Eeyore

Premium Member

Sherry

Thanks Sherry, I appreciate your support. :) :wave:

Assistant administrator or not I don't think ANYONE should be responded to in an insulting or disrespectful manner. I had a problem with Stittle's comment because I'm a person not because I'm part of the administrative team here at WDWMagic.

Let the wand discussion continue (but without me). :animwink:

sittle

Hey Sittle, how about some common curtesy and respect for others? Eeyore was/is posting some opinions, and your reply was just plain rude.

I don't think it's any more out of line than any of my other posts on this thread... to non-assistant administrators or not.

It certainly was not candy-coated...And that's just how I am. I can't just turn it off.

If this is a problem on your board and you feel the need to censor me, that is your decision and it will be respected by me.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I don't think it's any more out of line than any of my other posts on this thread... to non-assistant administrators or not.

It certainly was not candy-coated...And that's just how I am. I can't just turn it off.

If this is a problem on your board and you feel the need to censor me, that is your decision and it will be respected by me.

If you cant reply to a discussion in a respectful way, dont participate at all. You arent being censored, I am just asking you to stop the condecending tone.

Eeyore

Premium Member

What I would like to see you do is follow some advice similar to that which you gave me and others in this thread:

REread (your own posts), think, then react

You aren't coming across very well and people will have a very difficult time respecting your opinion if they feel you are insulting them.

kcnole

Obviously, I wasn't in the meeting when they decided to add the wand to Spaceship Earth, but I have a very hard time believing that John Hench didn't have enough clout to refuse its addition.

Go read the reimagineering blog, especially their latest entry about the nature of the business for an eye opening insight into how things have been for a long time in WDI. None of the imagineers had any clout for major decisions at that point in time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom