"Budget Cuts" - Now Showing at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Dan Deesnee

I think what some people fail to realize is that raising ticket prices was at minimum in part an effort to reduce crowds. It's one of the major complaints Disney receives. The past years of gradual price increases is them testing the limit, how much can wet charge before crowds do TOO much.

Fact is, they are making more money than before raising prices, and crowds are down. In my book, that's a win-win and shouldn't be looked at as "Disney is in trouble". Lower crowds and higher profits was the entire point.

If they can offer further discounts to drive people to come on dates when they don't have a lot of people booked, it's icing on the cake.

drizgirl

I think what some people fail to realize is that raising ticket prices was at minimum in part an effort to reduce crowds. It's one of the major complaints Disney receives. The past years of gradual price increases is them testing the limit, how much can wet charge before crowds do TOO much.

Fact is, they are making more money than before raising prices, and crowds are down. In my book, that's a win-win and shouldn't be looked at as "Disney is in trouble". Lower crowds and higher profits was the entire point.

If they can offer further discounts to drive people to come on dates when they don't have a lot of people booked, it's icing on the cake.
if their goal was to decrease attendance, why are they lifting blackout dates on some passes?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
if their goal was to decrease attendance, why are they lifting blackout dates on some passes?

To avoid the drama of all the blacked out APs carrying on about not getting one last ride on TGMR... and Ellen's, too, I suppose.

And if regular ticket price increases was enough to drive down numbers, then they can lift the black outs. Remember, both the black outs and the surge in ticket prices is relatively new. They still need to balance them v. consumer behavior. They have no previous data to rely on. IOW, they're winging it.

dreamscometrue

They may have over compensated. I also think all the announcements at D23 are going to hurt attendance in the short term.
Likely yes, for many. I'll still go once or twice per year, but those who visit every 2-3 years, or less frequently, may very well wait until 2019-2020. I remember before WWoHP opened at UNI, most people I knew were holding off a visit there until after WWoHP opened. Maybe though, there will be a benefit for those of us who visit more often, with continued AP and DVC discounts. :)

drizgirl

They may have over compensated. I also think all the announcements at D23 are going to hurt attendance in the short term.
They must have overcompensated last year too when they lifted blackout dates around Easter, already one of the busiest times of the year.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Likely yes, for many. I'll still go once or twice per year, but those who visit every 2-3 years, or less frequently, may very well wait until 2019-2020. I remember before WWoHP opened at UNI, most people I knew were holding off a visit there until after WWoHP opened. Maybe though, there will be a benefit for those of us who visit more often, with continued AP and DVC discounts. :)
I'm pretty much on the every other year plan now. I have a trip scheduled for November this year but I'm trying to decide what to do after that. My usual pattern would be a return some time in 2019 but I am considering waiting until 2020 to return when I know SW Land and some of the other stuff will be open. I think the short term impact of SW Land will particularly be felt when we get to the start of 2019. If it's not open in the Spring and doesn't open until fall I could see a bunch of people delaying summer trips either until the fall or even until the next summer. My other option is to plan a summer 2019 trip to DL instead since their SW Land should definitely be open by the summer. I'm hoping to be able to tolerate the 6 hour flight with my kids by then. There's always cocktails on the plane;)

For my trip this November I'm only planning on spending part of a day at DHS which thanks to FP+ will no longer require me getting there at rope drop. I definitely want to see some of the shows (especially Indy) since some of them may not be there when I go back again. I have a multi-day ticket anyway, but I would not pay full price for this park. It's borderline criminal to charge $100 for a single day visit.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Aren't the lifted blackout dates just for the first 10 days of August to allow AP holders to ride GMR and Energy one last time? Not much of a conspiracy theory. When Disney screws the AP holders for simple greed people complain and cry about it and when they actually do something nice for AP holders instead of giving credit where credit is due there has to be some hidden agenda.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I hope that everyone feels the same about HS as you all do.

We love DHS. It was too crowded last year, had to skip a lot.. I'd be thrilled for my family to be one of just a few families at the park ;).
If you book a FP for TSMM and ToT you are guaranteed not to wait for those rides. Star Tours has huge capacity and rarely has a wait over 20 minutes. That just leaves RnRC. Even if you had to wait an hour for that ride it's the only thing you wait for all day. If you wanted to just run through the 4 rides "theme park commando" style you could easily be done in 3 hours or less. As far as the shows, Muppets is always a walk in with no more than a 20 minute wait and pretty much all of the other shows have more capacity than demand unless you are there during super peak crowd days. If you want a specific seat for Fantasmic you probably need to go a little early or burn a FP. The SW meet and greets will still have lines.

This will all change dramatically once the 2 SW rides open as well as the Great Mickey Ride and to a lesser extent the 2 Toy Story rides, but for right now it's a park with little waiting on any day other than extreme crowd days.

rob0519

Am I the only one that still likes the shows at Hollywood Studios? I would never dream of going there to "run through the rides" and then leave. Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Fantasmic, Indiana Jones, Disney Junior (not for everyone, I know), Frozen, MuppetVision, Far Far Away, Galactic Spectacular, and The Music of PIXAR Live add up to many hours worth of entertainment without doing a single ride.

Well DHS used to be my favorite park. The architecture always had a certain appeal to me and the shops seemed to, at least years ago, have a better selection of merchandise.
Part of my problem is I've seen most of those shows over a dozen times each. They've just become boring to me. I am looking forward to the Music of PIXAR which I have not seen yet and Muppet Vision even after 20 times is still a must. The only attractions left that our son can ride are Toy Story Mania and Star Tours, so for us this has become a half day park at best. I'm waiting and hoping to see what the new construction brings to the park.

Animaniac93-98

IMO a one-day ticket is worth it, if you intend to visit the park for 8-10 hours or more. That way you're paying about $10/hour for your time there.

Whether or not you think any of the 4 parks has 10 hours worth of things to do will obviously vary person to person.

If you're planning on visiting MK for just a day, event party tickets are the better choice if they happen during your visit.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Good lord, some of you act as though you believe Disney's going to fold soon.

Foolish assumption to make about closing hours for attractions if park hours haven't been released or updated past the end of Disney's fiscal year. And yes, if attendance is down primarily due to construction of 2 major lands - and that new one over in AK - it's not time to doom and gloom. I would expect changes to staffing/hours if demand is down. Disney isn't the first - nor the last - company to respond as such to lower demand. Retail does it all the time.

No need to panic....

*shakes head*

Rumrunner

I edited this for everyone's convenience:
  • Walt Disney: One Man's Dream to close at 8pm
  • Meet & Greet with Star-Lord & Groot to close at 8pm
  • Star Wars: Path of the Jedi to close at 6pm
  • Star Wars Launch Bay, one of four characters will not be around
Hardly the end of the world - just smart decisions to keep the park running efficiently.
Smart decisions for whom-Disney maybe but it is rather oblivious to the the wishes of the patrons. I realize Disney is a great place but they are making a lot of decisions that show no consideration to the patrons. Bad corporate decisions in other areas and put the burden on the loyal Disney supporters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom