"Budget Cuts" - Now Showing at Disney's Hollywood Studios

JediMasterMatt

My point was to refute someone saying that taking two years for two rides plus a whole new themed area was way too long, when, in fact, it's pretty much normal.

The definition (read as quality) of "themed land" being the difference.

Look, TSL is being built "fast" by modern WDW. It's also being built cheap by modern WDW. Its purpose is to simply add back some of what's being taken away and augment the "new" offerings before SW comes online.

While we can all appreciate that the WDW construction accelerator was depressed while driving the TSL project, be sure to put what is being built into perspective. This isn't the same effort that it took to build something like Splash Mountain in the past. This is more in line with what many season theme parks around the world do on a routine yearly basis: small coaster, a couple of flat rides, some support buildings, and some light theme drizzled over the top. This is true of the lesser Six Flags, the step up Cedar Fair, and especially true of the not too far removed from Orlando quality Herschend Parks.

While I'm not defending Ford's rage against the machine, I don't pretend to equate TSL's construction timeline to any of Universal's Potterlands. The ambitions of either project exceed what TSL even comes close to imagining in terms of scope and detail.

So... good for TDO in "rushing" the project that was designed to be built fast and cheap on purpose and being able to hit those targets.

Tune in next week for more adventures in "I paid full price for what again?" Park..

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Look, TSL is being built "fast" by modern WDW. It's also being built cheap by modern WDW. Its purpose is to simply add back some of what's being taken away and augment the "new" offerings before SW comes online.

While we can all appreciate that the WDW construction accelerator was depressed while driving the TSL project, be sure to put what is being built into perspective. This isn't the same effort that it took to build something like Splash Mountain in the past. This is more in line with what many season theme parks around the world do on a routine yearly basis: small coaster, a couple of flat rides, some support buildings, and some light theme drizzled over the top. This is true of the lesser Six Flags, the step up Cedar Fair, and especially true of the not too far removed from Orlando quality Herschend Parks.

While I'm not defending Ford's rage against the machine, I don't pretend to equate TSL's construction timeline to any of Universal's Potterlands. The ambitions of either project exceed what TSL even comes close to imagining in terms of scope and detail.

So... good for TDO in "rushing" the project that was designed to be built fast and cheap on purpose and being able to hit those targets.

Tune in next week for more adventures in "I paid full price for what again?" Park..

My local park has built more elaborate 'lands' over the course of a new england winter, there is no excuse for this taking 2 years to build in freaking Orlando

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
STOP STATING THINGS AS FACTS FORD. You have zero inside information on when they are starting on this ride.

The only FACTS one need on this kind of action is the financial information provided to investors, and you know what that information says.

BUDGET CUTS AT THE PARKS TO IMPROVE OPERATING MARGIN

That information is provided under penalty of law.

Do any of us know what specific items will be cut no. And anyone who leaked it would probably be fired.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Well, then a more apples to apples comparison would be:

• Both Potter Lands: 30 months each
  • SW:GE DL: 36 months (presuming they hit their presumed target date)

What Disney is doing now isn't like the 40 months they took for Pandora.

[TSL's presumed opening date would make it 25 months, but, it looks like it could even be finished in 23.]

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My local park has built more elaborate 'lands' over the course of a new england winter, there is no excuse for this taking 2 years to build in freaking Orlando

You originally complained that 2.5 years is too long, and when it was pointed out it will only take 2 years (and probably less), you move the goal post.

I could have said they'll only take two weeks and you would complain it should only take one.

You provide no value to these forums.

JediMasterMatt

Re: the whole Uni/WDW construction speed nonsense... it's really simple. You get what you pay for. If TDO wants quick builds - they spend more on staffed hours. If they want to keep costs down (like say the Hub build out), they have minimal crew working minimal hours.

Throw more resources (via $$$) in staffed hours at a project and it will go faster.

This is why Universal has been more nimble in the actual construction times recently.

This of course doesn't explain the whole time and cost to get projects off the drawing boards and into the construction mode that WDI still struggles with. All those trips to Pandora and back cost a pretty penny. You don't think visiting the Collector's power generator/warehouse/hotel/thingy come for free do you?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Not disagreeing with the point, but why do we have to accept "normal"?

Today's Disney thinks its 'normal' for a lightly decorated land to take two years to construct using off the shelf ride that SixFlags and other local parks can do in 3-6 months

Or 18 months to build a Gazebo that would take an average construction company a week to build and landscape two weeks if you include permitting.

In comparison a much smaller company 'Walt Disney Productions' built EPCOT in two years from groundbreaking to ribbon cutting.

The difference of course is the willingness to spend money

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom