BTMRR Next Gen Effects Being Installed

FigmentJedi

I'd say the new queue is putting us more directly into the moment. That rather then seeing Big Thunder well after the mine has been abandoned and people are bailing, we are directly experiencing the Mining Company's decline and possibly the straw that broke the camel's back with the flooding of the town and the earthquakes in the tunnels if they actually fixed that effect.

Almost a reversal of how Florida's Pirates and it's "The pirates are attacking now!" storyline got muddled by the movie additions suggesting time-travel like the Disneyland ride.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Love this blog I've heard this before bout rides being a series of experiences leading up to a climax, not so much a solid story thus the case with BTMR. The theme is there fill in the blanks make the story yourself. I think that was always the intent to have guests imagine there own story.

Quite right. I also imagined I was on an alien battlefield battling giant mosquito like things with cyborg Pooh Bears....I feel like the whole mining operation thing just came from out of nowhere.

Pixiedustmaker

I mean, if the company spends $100 million on an attraction, they might as well spend an additional $50 million to make sure it has the things that makes it worth spending $100 million plus on; otherwise, they're just throwing money in the air, wasting $100 million, rather than saving $50 million!

Everything outside of Carsland has obvious budget cuts and is a degree below what Disney normally does, I think mostly because DCA 1.0 was failing miserably, and somebody thought they'd make a smart move by proposing a cheap attraction which would "save the day", and draw in guests. Only with Carsland do we see a commitment to Disney level attractions/theming. For example:

1. Mermaid. WDW picked the wrong ride to clone as they did a reasonable job with the queue but carbon copied one of Disney's "quick fixes".

2. Monters Inc. DCA ride. Not very good mostly because they re-cycled the old SuperStar Limo ride vehicle, which means you go uber-slowly through the ride and have the time to look at everything and you get bored, plus there aren't a lot of truly amazing scenes.

3. BVS. It looks nice, I'll admit that, and looked fantastic during Christmas, but compared to Main Street which has the train, cars, cinema, trolley, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln . . . there is only the Red Car Trolley which is often taken over by entertainment for shows.

4. Toy Story Mania. Fun the first time, a nice little diversion the second, and after a while all you look forward to is the theming. If they had added half a dozen dark ride scenes, then it would have had something for everybody, IMHO, it's just a video game ride, and not a must-see in my book, though it is one of the better rides outside of Carsland. Would it have killed them to put in animatronic Woody or Jessie at the end, and perhaps each of the toys represented by animatronics in the ride? I guess it comes down to budget.

I think the reason why these attractions went half-way there is because Disney knew that DCA was failing and they didn't want to spend money on a park that would always be an adjunct park to Disneyland (in the eyes of many)

PeterAlt

Everything outside of Carsland has obvious budget cuts and is a degree below what Disney normally does, I think mostly because DCA 1.0 was failing miserably, and somebody thought they'd make a smart move by proposing a cheap attraction which would "save the day", and draw in guests. Only with Carsland do we see a commitment to Disney level attractions/theming. For example:

1. Mermaid. WDW picked the wrong ride to clone as they did a reasonable job with the queue but carbon copied one of Disney's "quick fixes".

2. Monters Inc. DCA ride. Not very good mostly because they re-cycled the old SuperStar Limo ride vehicle, which means you go uber-slowly through the ride and have the time to look at everything and you get bored, plus there aren't a lot of truly amazing scenes.

3. BVS. It looks nice, I'll admit that, and looked fantastic during Christmas, but compared to Main Street which has the train, cars, cinema, trolley, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln . . . there is only the Red Car Trolley which is often taken over by entertainment for shows.

4. Toy Story Mania. Fun the first time, a nice little diversion the second, and after a while all you look forward to is the theming. If they had added half a dozen dark ride scenes, then it would have had something for everybody, IMHO, it's just a video game ride, and not a must-see in my book, though it is one of the better rides outside of Carsland. Would it have killed them to put in animatronic Woody or Jessie at the end, and perhaps each of the toys represented by animatronics in the ride? I guess it comes down to budget.

I think the reason why these attractions went half-way there is because Disney knew that DCA was failing and they didn't want to spend money on a park that would always be an adjunct park to Disneyland (in the eyes of many)
So, they clone TSM and Mermaid for WDW. Smart. (Sarcasm)

And what's so original about TSM? It's just another Buzz Lightyear pretty much... Right?

Pixiedustmaker

TSMM is much more interesting than Buzz. I wouldn't say they're the same at all.

I guess it all depends on personal preference. Buzz has stuff to shoot at too, but a lot of it is stuff that moves. For some reason Buzz feels more real, and I try to do my best, but TSMM feels about as urgent as a video game. Buzz has Buzz outfront, TSMM has Mr. Potato Head out front, but otherwise, on the inside guts of the ride you don't see the characters at all, (outside of animated Woody and such on screens).

I ride Buzz for a little atmosphere and for the game, I ride TSMM just to listen to some of the music, and see the good, but very limited theming, outside of what they put up on the screen. TSMM needs some dark ride scenes to introduce some story elements regarding the toys running a midway game, Buzz needs some scene of Buzz fighting Zurg, maybe flying around.

Timekeeper

How long have the colored pools on the right of the first lift been working?

You don't want to know how they "add color" :eek:

btmstanding.jpg

Californian Elitist

I guess it all depends on personal preference. Buzz has stuff to shoot at too, but a lot of it is stuff that moves. For some reason Buzz feels more real, and I try to do my best, but TSMM feels about as urgent as a video game. Buzz has Buzz outfront, TSMM has Mr. Potato Head out front, but otherwise, on the inside guts of the ride you don't see the characters at all, (outside of animated Woody and such on screens).

I ride Buzz for a little atmosphere and for the game, I ride TSMM just to listen to some of the music, and see the good, but very limited theming, outside of what they put up on the screen. TSMM needs some dark ride scenes to introduce some story elements regarding the toys running a midway game, Buzz needs some scene of Buzz fighting Zurg, maybe flying around.

I don't see how TSMM can be looked at as a video game, but Buzz can't. You're shooting at things in both attractions.

Timekeeper

The thing that's odd about Toy Story is that there's absolutely no point in moving ride vehicles between the numerous identical oversized tv screens. It accomplishes nothing. Why not just leave the vehicles stationary in front of a single monitor? Because then the lack of inspired content becomes even more obvious? And isn't that the beauty of video - that the content can be changed without having to change the monitor? Should I have to switch between laptops when jumping between the General Discussion board and the News and Rumors board? Or, through the magic of technology, maybe I can switch between forums on the same laptop? Ridiculous. :(

Californian Elitist

The thing that's odd about Toy Story is that there's absolutely no point in moving ride vehicles between the numerous identical oversized tv screens. It accomplishes nothing. Why not just leave the vehicles stationary in front of a single monitor? Because then the lack of inspired content becomes even more obvious? And isn't that the beauty of video - that the content can be changed without having to change the monitor? Should I have to switch between laptops when jumping between the General Discussion board and the News and Rumors board? Or, through the magic of technology, maybe I can switch between forums on the same laptop? Ridiculous. :(

The moving part partners with the ride's theme, at least in DCA. The ride is based on sea-side carnival games you would find at piers. Do you stay at one booth, or do you manouver around and play other games? You walk around and find other games to play. That's the point. Maybe it seems weird to you due to the attraction's location and placement in DHS.

The moving aspect makes the ride a lot more fun, anyway. It would be incredibly boring if we had to just sit in one spot and wait for the next screen to come.

George Lucas on a Bench

As theming, it actually looks okay. It's not like the Haunted Mansion McDonald's playland. It's also not simply crates and barrels.

As NextGen effects, they'll probably be annoying, and dumb.

PeterAlt

I wonder if Cars Land is the first attraction to be managed from concept to construction under the complete supervision of John Lasseter. It could be that TSM and Mermaid were first conceptualized before Lasseter was completely settled in (and felt comfortable enough to get a complete handle on things) as head of the Disney divisions he is now responsible for (this includes WDI). If so, that could explain a lot. If so, this could mean that all projects to come will be of CL quality and character. They say it takes a least five years for a project to go through its design stage. Add the years required to construct it and any internal bickering and delays, CL would have started just around the time when Lasseter would have settle in completely enough to get a handle on every phase of a project's progress). TSM and Mermaid could have been started before Lasseter had a complete handle on things... Could there be any truth to my theory?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom