BTMRR Next Gen Effects Being Installed

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Correct me if I'm wrong, but, isn't this Mine supposed to be abandoned? How do all of these "enhancements" fit the theme? I don't get it...

WDW1974

I haven't read the thread. Apologies as a Spirit doesn't get extra hours in a day. And I did have to cheer up a sick friend far, far away today.

But tell me this, please, are all the effects that weren't working when I rode in December all fixed and running now? Because if they aren't, then Disney can take this new interactive queue and shove it up Blon... nevermind.

PeterAlt

I agree. Space Mountain and Haunted Mansion are two attractions that evoke serious tones and were enjoyable the way they were before. The video games in Space Mt. interfere with the the ambience, music, and the overall build-up to the ride. And the Haunted Mansion interactivity contrasts the ominous approach to the mansion, so we tend to avoid it.

Other than those two however, I really enjoy the enchanced queues because most seem to add depth to the attractions and immerse you in the story. And the BTMRR queue seems to be following that same path. While I would like the ride itself to be the #1 priority in terms of fixes, I approve of the queue update. Well done.
Elaboration on Haunted Mansion. I thought the consensus here was that it has improved...

ebof1023

Although I really don't like the games in space mountain...after ridding thunder the other day even thought these effects aren't operational from what I've seen in person and on that video they look to be a very good addition!

Tom

Beta Return
Elaboration on Haunted Mansion. I thought the consensus here was that it has improved...

The ride itself has greatly improved (by many opinions) by adding the staircase room and kicking the Hitchhiking Ghosts up a notch. While the queue is nice to look at, many feel that it's too silly for the ride. Many feel that it should have been more ominous and foreboding, since the entire pre-show and boarding process is that way.

The backstory is getting a major rehaul. Some speculate it's to be in line with the in-development TV Show ABC is making called Big Thunder.

I'm one of those who is OK with change, so I'm actually OK if they're changing the backstory, as long as they still have a backstory. Stories are Disney's claim to fame when it comes to theme parks (or at least it used to be), so the fact that they're devoting some time and money into putting emphases on stories again, it's fine by me.

And again, while I know people (including me) are extremely upset that they'll spend money on this, while they let the original ride fall apart, what's done is done, so I will judge what they've delivered. It's juvenile to automatically hate it just because you wish they'd spent that money on the attraction.

And my judgement, based solely on the photos and the WDI video, is that they've done a nice job on this one. They've improved the guest experience by making the queue a bit more entertaining (I spent many hours in that queue as a child - and it sure would have been nice to have something to occupy myself other than sweat beads on my forehead) - and they've done it in a semi-educational way while enhancing the backstory.

HMF

GLaDOS

I'm one of those who is OK with change, so I'm actually OK if they're changing the backstory, as long as they still have a backstory. Stories are Disney's claim to fame when it comes to theme parks (or at least it used to be), so the fact that they're devoting some time and money into putting emphases on stories again, it's fine by me.

See, for me, I disagree with this. Disney's "stories" used to be very abstract and up to the guest to fill in much of the blanks. One of the reasons stuff like this irks me is because that idea has been taken out. Now there's a set "story". There's no room for the guests to decide on their own how and why things are happening.

That being said, this queue at least looks better than the HM one.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
See, for me, I disagree with this. Disney's "stories" used to be very abstract and up to the guest to fill in much of the blanks. One of the reasons stuff like this irks me is because that idea has been taken out. Now there's a set "story". There's no room for the guests to decide on their own how and why things are happening.

Well, there's going to be a good deal of "back story' that the guests don't get, either because of a lack of insight or a desire to simply get through the queue to the ride. However, I'll agree that in this case the new elements help alleviate an otherwise boring experience. But again, if the ride itself isn't up to par in terms of its own effects (And is the black tarp still covering the rocks that once moved?), than you're looking somewhat at a (as much as I hate to use the expression) lipstick on a pig improvement.

spacemt354

Chili's

Yes the ride did. The queue didn't, and we were talking specifically about queues. The only thing that makes it tolerable to an extent is that the interactive part of the queue has been optional whenever we have gone. We tend to ride late in the evening, and anytime we have gone we have been given an option of entering the interactive area, or heading straight for the main door.

Honestly can't speak of peak hours during the day though. I'm not sure if it's still optional then.

spacemt354

Chili's

In terms of dark rides, yes I agree that the stories are abstract. But to me, that's because the stories had already been told in the films. The Peter Pan attraction is like the Cliff Notes version of the film. I don't really see room for guest interpretation when they could just consult the film to fill in the blanks of the attraction.

Yet if the Tower of Terror took me to an abandoned hotel, I got on an elevator, and it dropped me...that's not enough depth for me to make an accurate interpretation of what just happened. The fact they went into so much detail and built the story around the guests is truly incredible. That ride makes you feel like you are actually in the Twilight Zone and that you are actually the star of that episode, which was the objective in my view. Same with Everest and others that have taken story telling and depth to a whole new level.

I don't think BTMRR is on the level of story-telling that ToT is, but I don't think adding depth to an attraction will hurt its appeal in any way.

Personally, I enjoy stories that connect so many little details to the overall plot. Some of those details take several rides to notice. I mean I find new things in the Tower of Terror queue every time I go on. There is just so much detail that one cannot possibly discover it all in one trip. That's what makes Disney story-telling so impressive to me and not so much the abstract nature of past Disney dark rides.

GLaDOS

Same with Everest and others that have taken story telling and depth to a whole new level.

But Everest is VERY much in the vein of the old school attractions. Much of the story is not laid out for you plain as day like in things like RNRC or ToT.

The classic Disney attractions (BTMRR, HM, PIrates before Jack Sparrow, Space Mountain, etc) are all "experiences" they are there to put you in a place and not spell everything out for you.

spacemt354

Chili's
But Everest is VERY much in the vein of the old school attractions. Much of the story is not laid out for you plain as day like in things like RNRC or ToT.

The classic Disney attractions (BTMRR, HM, PIrates before Jack Sparrow, Space Mountain, etc) are all "experiences" they are there to put you in a place and not spell everything out for you.

In terms of not specifically telling you what is going to happen ...yes it is. But I didn't mean that every attraction had to spoon feed the story. Most rides just need to set a mood and that is the basis of the story.

On Everest, while they don't tell you "Hey guess what, you're going to encounter the yeti", there is enough detail for guests to understand that's probably going to happen. I don't see an issue with adding depth to BTMRR. Aside from hard core Disney fans who have studied attraction history and such, there wasn't a whole lot of story in general for the average guest. Why are we boarding a runaway mine train? What's the point other than the fact it's a great ride? I don't know if these questions will be answered in full with the queue additions, but maybe to your point, the reason why we are in the queue will be left up to the guest interpretation of the story.

The "abstract" rides I felt you were referring to were old school rides such as Mr. Toad, or Peter Pan. Rides where the queues were not elaborate and the ride was the start of the story. I prefer when the story starts in the queue, and that is why I mentioned Everest, because that is a prime example of such story telling .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom