News Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Well that is mainly because he really doesn't have positive views of Disney right now, and can't seem to understand why anyone would. Not saying his is correct, just his point of view. I also believe he was a former employee, and has some direct experience in some of the mess that is Disney.

But yes, he can be a .... over bearing on the Disney BAD point of view
Since I’m being psychologically deconstructed third party - which is fascinating by the way - let me course correct for you both…

There are a lot of positives about Disney. That never changes…or we wouldn’t be here…

…but what we are terrible at - collectively - is recognizing the “center”. Too much of the fandom is on the wings. You can acknowledge that there are many good things while calling out the bad. I call it “responsible consumerism” and it’s necessary to keep good product coming. They’ll run the ship aground if we let them.

There’s an intellect disassociation that messes with this. It’s there but we don’t say it. People like their trips…or their comic book memories…or their toys when they were kids…so they can’t make the the distinction between then and now. Somehow criticism of “now” cheapens the “then”?

So don’t support the bad…dump it. It’s better in the long run. I promise.

So instead of defending “galactic tirefire” because of the label…like a dog playing fetch…dump it.
I promise…honest analysis will only hurt a little at first 😎

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don’t understand why someone at these companies hasn’t considered the “what if we lobbied the government to make guaranteed paid vacation more generous like Europe so we can make more money from guests staying longer” angle. Disney and UNI’s real money makers are college educated professionals making six figures each with 1.5 kids and the occasional grandparent tagging along. Could seriously grow their business.
…woah, Cowboy…first day in ‘Merica? 🦅🇺🇸

Lilofan

You forget that individuals make up these mega-corps, not boardrooms.

A new lighting lane sign pops up? Someone green lit the initiative, someone designed the sign, someone approved it, someone fabricated it, someone installed it, etc.

Mega-corps are not amorphous globs that magically produce product. Behind creative project in the parks, whether loved or hated, is created by a team of artisans. The direction for a land like Pandora may generally be guided by Rhode, but individuals devote their love for their craft to fill out that vision.

Bringing back Bruce doesn’t magically produce projects, but bringing back Bruce shows they’re actually committed to further development.

Works are not immune from criticism because individuals craft these projects, and not some faceless mega-corp, but ruthlessly bashing and spewing unnecessary negativity benefits no one.

Rides like Rise were touched by thousands of people before you got to enjoy them, and the future string of projects will be too. You may not like overall company direction, but disregarding and dwindling down all individual talent and contribution ignored what makes theme parks special.
Bringing back today previously laid off Bruce from Disney in 2016 can spell one thing. Disney needs help and I would think he would not come back if the compensation package was not an offer he could not refuse. Sweet offers work out and sometimes not. Ex Disney and Playboy exec Kevin Mayer was lured by Tik Tok to be their CEO. He lasted several months at Tik Tok before being laid off.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They really put the dumb in freedumb, don’t they?
Seriously though…how many things do we do - frankly - stupidly?…

We glamorize minimizing rec time to allow more work time…
Da hell?!?

We are proud of our obsession with fossil comsumption

We hoard “things” that literally none of the civilized world understands…like…at all.

Canadians quietly look into North Dakota and say “ummm…what are you doing? Expecting Independence Day, today?”

…I’ll stop there

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
Sooner than you think, but beyond that, not sure.

What I know: imagineering is really busy at the moment. There is a desire to get projects moving ASAP.

Things I suspect: Disney spent a lot of money expanding Marvel, Star Wars, streaming etc, and pumping out as much content as possible, now they’re seeing what works and what doesn’t, and are cutting the fat. Now they’re shifting strategies to throw a lot of money on theme parks.

Currently, the only WDW investments are a DVC tower, a retheme, fireworks, and a nearly finished Epcot hub. Disneyland has nothing outside of a simple retheme of pacific wharf once TT opens this month.

Hong Kong and Shanghai are nearing completion on Frozen and Zootopia respectively.

They’re not about to cut investment funding to the parks, they may even expand it.

Back to what I know. The people I know in Imagineering are incredibly busy designing the projects that will begin coming to fruition in the near term to fit their desired investments. I said it in the Beyond Big Thunder thread, but what I know is they’re working on a lot. Whether it’s a lot of different things, one massive thing, I’m not entirely sure, I have general ideas and suspicions, but once again, I’m not entirely sure.

I am entirely sure, that unless they make a sudden 180° turn, a lot is coming and sooner than you’ll guess.
Remember when I said numerous large-scale projects were coming to WDW?
If bringing Vaughn in is supposed to be a sign that a lot of new projects are on the table at WDI "soon"™️, do we think we're supposed to hear announcements at Destination D or even sooner? If they want to keep up the pattern of opening at least one ride-through attraction every calendar year then ground will need to break soon for Moana splash (or anything really) to hit 2025. I know that permits can be filed and such before an official announcement (Rat, Skyliner) but that seems to be a rare case with Disney's track record of announcing projects very far in advance (Avatar, Galaxy's Edge, Tron). Hate to be pessimistic but I have a gut feeling 2025 might be the year they break the new attraction streak they've had since 2016.

ToTBellHop

If bringing Vaughn in is supposed to be a sign that a lot of new projects are on the table at WDI "soon"™️, do we think we're supposed to hear announcements at Destination D or even sooner? If they want to keep up the pattern of opening at least one ride-through attraction every calendar year then ground will need to break soon for Moana splash (or anything really) to hit 2025. I know that permits can be filed and such before an official announcement (Rat, Skyliner) but that seems to be a rare case with Disney's track record of announcing projects very far in advance (Avatar, Galaxy's Edge, Tron). Hate to be pessimistic but I have a gut feeling 2025 might be the year they break the new attraction streak they've had since 2016.
They could easily open something in Wonders of Life in 2025 if they need something to market. New shows at DHS are also an option.

I agree that the window for anything in DAK in 2025 is closing.

Bill Cipher

In the Parks
Yes
They could easily open something in Wonders of Life in 2025 if they need something to market. New shows at DHS are also an option.

I agree that the window for anything in DAK in 2025 is closing.
Something in Wonders meaning Play, or something else??? 👀

bcoachable

I would not be surprised if the Play idea were reimagined.
I could see a re work of “play” combined with what was heading for “stitch” I d k- just spitballing and understanding once work begins on planning, the ideas keep percolating through the cubicles

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The problem was they don’t do “coming soon” anymore. Because of the nonsense timelines and budgeting tricks.
So they would have to have started on things 2019,20,21 to get anything open by 2025…and we know they couldn’t be bothered.
I imagine they at least realize they made a huge mistake by leaving a void in Florida when that massive development up the street is gonna open?
But Bob will never even breathe a word of admitting it…or blame the other Bob which is mostly crap.
I would not be surprised if the Play idea were reimagined.
Are we forgiving them for outright LYING about it in the first place yet? 🤪

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Remember when I said numerous large-scale projects were coming to WDW?
…which bus were you on? 🤪

Though I’m gonna post this right now…
3/9/23 2023 AD/CE/whatever…

If a “huge” announcement comes soon…do not believe it. Financially they can’t justify it.
That would be BOB trying to save his own butt with a Hail Mary to not be ousted or forced out next year…

…y’all been warned.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom