News Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I honestly care least about the potential for a Villains expansion, but regardless of practicality/execution, primarily was saying that those elements were exciting to me.
I’d be surprised if they push forward with real capacity/cost for encanto/coco…it makes sense based on demographics…but it’s still a bit of a stretch

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Villains especially seems like the kind of thing that will never get built. Similar Villain proposals in the past have gone nowhere.
Villains continues to be a good idea that gets killed because of difficulty executing it…too many things to balance there.

You need to kinda “commit” like knock turn alley…but you’re gonna have a hard time catching “whimsy” in a bottle that isn’t silly.

Instead…we get “sure things” like this dumpster fire when you have no idea how to execute…
1678326407496.jpeg

SplashJacket

Not an “insider”…I have big problems with those. Not because I don’t believe People don’t know people - they certainly do - it’s that their sources don’t know they’re being manipulated from the boardroom. That’s how a business oligarchy works and Disney is that…at a minimum.
You forget that individuals make up these mega-corps, not boardrooms.

A new lighting lane sign pops up? Someone green lit the initiative, someone designed the sign, someone approved it, someone fabricated it, someone installed it, etc.

Mega-corps are not amorphous globs that magically produce product. Behind creative projects in the parks, whether loved or hated, is created by a team of artisans. The direction for a land like Pandora may generally be guided by Rhode, but individuals devote their love for their craft to fill out that vision.

Bringing back Bruce doesn’t magically produce projects, but bringing back Bruce shows they’re actually committed to further development.

Works are not immune from criticism because individuals craft these projects, and not some faceless mega-corp, but ruthlessly bashing and spewing unnecessary negativity benefits no one.

Rides like Rise were touched by thousands of people before you got to enjoy them, and the future string of projects will be too. You may not like overall company direction, but disregarding and dwindling down all individual talent and contribution ignores what makes theme parks special.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You forget that individuals make up these mega-corps, not boardrooms.

A new lighting lane sign pops up? Someone green lit the initiative, someone designed the sign, someone approved it, someone fabricated it, someone installed it, etc.

Mega-corps are not amorphous globs that magically produce product. Behind creative project in the parks, whether loved or hated, is created by a team of artisans. The direction for a land like Pandora may generally be guided by Rhode, but individuals devote their love for their craft to fill out that vision.

Bringing back Bruce doesn’t magically produce projects, but bringing back Bruce shows they’re actually committed to further development.

Works are not immune from criticism because individuals craft these projects, and not some faceless mega-corp, but ruthlessly bashing and spewing unnecessary negativity benefits no one.

Rides like Rise were touched by thousands of people before you got to enjoy them, and the future string of projects will be too. You may not like overall company direction, but disregarding and dwindling down all individual talent and contribution ignored what makes theme parks special.
It’s like the biggest entertainment company on earth…one of the most widely held shares on the markets of a country that has fingers in 90% of the wealth on earth…

…are you doing the “it’s people that make the difference…” speech by Clark’s boss from Christmas vacation?

It’s a business machine…Iger has made it WAY worse in this regard…

So with all do respect…the shoe fits here.

But I’m just giving an opinion based on instincts. I bet…really do…there are others around boards that actually talk to the people that believe themselves “in the decision process” aware of a long list of WDI goose chases that hit the wall when nobody expected it. Because they kinda treat that department like pets…keep their “energy” focused on chasing things the business side will never do. It’s a bit of sunk cost to keep the regiment in line. It’s smart actually.

lazyboy97o

This is also what was said when he left.

Very strong resume that gave birth to arguably the best themed environment in the world, set two parks on the right track, and gave rise to incredible non-ip experiences
It’s not really his resume. He was chief creative officer during Disney’s California Adventure 2.0 and the Hong Kong expansion, but he wasn’t the actual lead creative on those projects. Tokyo DisneySEA was lead by the Kirk brothers. Disney’s California Adventure 2.0 was lead by Bob Weis, who Disney made a whole big deal about bringing back. Hong Kong Disneyland expansion was lead by Joe Lanzisero.

Indy_UK

This is also what was said when he left.

It’s not really his resume. He was chief creative officer during Disney’s California Adventure 2.0 and the Hong Kong expansion, but he wasn’t the actual lead creative on those projects. Tokyo DisneySEA was lead by the Kirk brothers. Disney’s California Adventure 2.0 was lead by Bob Weis, who Disney made a whole big deal about bringing back. Hong Kong Disneyland expansion was lead by Joe Lanzisero.
Meh. I’m guessing he was the only one they could convince to come back or was willing to afford.

I appreciate them trying to win back good will with the fans but it’s been done half hearted.

bcoachable

I’d be surprised if they push forward with real capacity/cost for encanto/coco…it makes sense based on demographics…but it’s still a bit of a stretch
So no chance they’ve sent the light? I myself am gonna hold on to hope. How could you not see $$$ by allowing your greatest park to accommodate more peeps? Return on investment in two years max!

Phicinfan

He is opinionated just like everybody else is on this board. Which is cool but I don’t necessarily agree with his views on things. Never said anything about shovels in the ground… I’m more referring to his general demeanor when it comes to topics concerning anything positive related to Disney.
Well that is mainly because he really doesn't have positive views of Disney right now, and can't seem to understand why anyone would. Not saying his is correct, just his point of view. I also believe he was a former employee, and has some direct experience in some of the mess that is Disney.

But yes, he can be a .... over bearing on the Disney BAD point of view

the.dreamfinder

Almost everything Peltz has said is a misdirection…let’s be honest.

He is right about somethings and wrong about others.

Wall Street guys saying “invest in parks”…which seems logical from the outside. More investment = more return.

But in wdw that isn’t necessarily true. Once they hit the 7 day barrier…analysis says that it’s diminishing returns. Weird but true.
The only way they “make more”…once they maxed the attendance which appears to be 5 years ago…is to charge more. Which means investment doesn’t pay.
They would have to expand massively to bring more people in to bring growth profits. But that’s big overhead and the travelers cannibalize the existing parts due to limited vacation time and funds.

Universal hasn’t hit that wall yet. But they would if they continue to build.

I won’t go too deep…I’ll send you a free copy of my book when I write about it 👍🏻
I don’t understand why someone at these companies hasn’t considered the “what if we lobbied the government to make guaranteed paid vacation more generous like Europe so we can make more money from guests staying longer” angle. Disney and UNI’s real money makers are college educated professionals making six figures each with 1.5 kids and the occasional grandparent tagging along. Could seriously grow their business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom