News Bruce Vaughn Returns to Disney as Co-Lead of Walt Disney Imagineering

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
He isn't an insider, he is a realist. He has the simple faith that until you see shovels and walls going vertical any rumor is just puff pastry. A whole lot of bread full of hot air.

I get it, he has seen this kind of hope time and time again. Still, he is perhaps more glass is broken and leaking then half full ;)
1678278979922.jpeg

Tha Realest

So I should go along with the “I know a guy and I’m hearing a thing….”?

You do know that’s second to bus rumors in the history of Disney fan sites, correct?

I never exchange the “thinking” cap for whatever that is…nor should you.

To step back, here’s just my opinion:

1. The current climate for Disney based on financials does Not indicate large spends in parks. Definitely not Orlando. But that’s a long and twisted take.

But to be fair of where these rumors come from, I’d acknowledge two things.
2. Bob Iger is in Trouble - as is the board - and they need some good juju/PR.
3. Comcast’s construction is a legitimate threat. Really for the first time.

We’ll discuss “insider” another day. It will be a in a quiet, “safe zone” 😉
Also…they’ve recently cancelled many projects that were already greenlit, scheduled, or well underway. Are we now to believe the same company that couldn’t open the Play! Pavilion, refurb SSE, build a Mary Poppins spinner, kept changing the Tiana plans, and couldn’t figure m out what to do with unused and dormant space in its existing parks is going to go on a spending spree?

Tha Realest

He isn't an insider, he is a realist. He has the simple faith that until you see shovels and walls going vertical any rumor is just puff pastry. A whole lot of bread full of hot air.

I get it, he has seen this kind of hope time and time again. Still, he is perhaps more glass is broken and leaking then half full ;)
We want him on those walls. We need him on those walls.

But only once the walls have been built.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That’s the problem with hearsay- it’s unverifiable.

As to the notion that Baxter’s not (or no longer) actively involved, at this point given the absolute dearth of any visible or public involvement since the rollout announcement its the more viable theory in my mind. I’ve listened and watched very podcasts and interviews over the last year and he’s not once acknowledged or spoken of his involvement on this project. When he was at D23 his general vibe was “detached spectator” and spoke of Disney in the third-person.

It is, but @MerlinTheGoat has a pretty decent track record of providing good information. Can't say the same for the other poster.

1. The current climate for Disney based on financials does Not indicate large spends in parks. Definitely not Orlando. But that’s a long and twisted take.

I disagree here. One big difference right now is that there are many voices in the financial world right now calling on Disney to invest more in its Theme Parks because it's seen as one of their most successful businesses. It was one of the demands of Peltz when he was doing the whole proxy war thing, Jim Cramer (yes, I know) has said the same thing, and I've seen numerous articles in financial trades saying that Disney needs to invest in its theme parks to counter Epic Universe and offset streaming.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Also…they’ve recently cancelled many projects that were already greenlit, scheduled, or well underway. Are we now to believe the same company that couldn’t open the Play! Pavilion, refurb SSE, build a Mary Poppins spinner, kept changing the Tiana plans, and couldn’t figure m out what to do with unused and dormant space in its existing parks is going to go on a spending spree?
…yeah…this is where the rubber never meets the road these days.

Do I want stuff? Of course! Guardians is great…love the France add on…Star Wars land is…

…ok…meatloaf rules in effect 😉

…but the idea they’re gonna build a lot more is not passing muster right now. It’s cost…up front and operational. No more profit. But now it’s “…because of lighting lane”. There is a runway with that and it’s not limitless. People are not paying for $300 ticket days. They’ll collapse the mine on top of themselves.

Its really not the economic environment.

Now…will they “announce” without commitment? Like the chapek sham last year?

…don’t follow the piper into the forest.
Bob is in trouble. Don’t forget that

UNCgolf

Mission Cashgrab in DCA.

I meant at WDW, although my understanding is people generally like the Guardians ride there and think it's better than the diminished version of Tower of Terror.

Either way, wasn't that directed from above?

Last edited:

James Alucobond

To be fair, literally everything you listed can and should be rethought. I agree that there's no reason to assume that pressing pause means they're rethinking priorities, but I'm fine with it.

UNCgolf

To be fair, literally everything you listed can and should be rethought. I agree that there's no reason to assume that pressing pause means they're rethinking priorities, but I'm fine with it.

I was thinking the same thing. I'm glad Play! Pavilion was cancelled, refurbing SSE was a scary proposition with the direction at the time, and the Mary Poppins spinner felt like a waste, although it was at least going to be an actual expansion.

Tha Realest

I’m not necessarily saying those were good ideas. But I don’t think they were necessarily stopped/cancelled because someone suddenly realized they were bad ideas. I do think COVID put most everything on ice (and hopefully for the best!) but I also don’t know that the current environment suggests they’re going to go on a massive building and spending spree.

FWIW, I do think they should reinvest into the segment of the company that produces the most reliable returns. That said, I do think they’re reaching (reached?) a saturation point in terms of how much more they can expand and build out (don’t think a 5th park’s sustainable) to justify the ROI.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I disagree here. One big difference right now is that there are many voices in the financial world right now calling on Disney to invest more in its Theme Parks because it's seen as one of their most successful businesses. It was one of the demands of Peltz when he was doing the whole proxy war thing, Jim Cramer (yes, I know) has said the same thing, and I've seen numerous articles in financial trades saying that Disney needs to invest in its theme parks to counter Epic Universe and offset streaming.
Almost everything Peltz has said is a misdirection…let’s be honest.

He is right about somethings and wrong about others.

Wall Street guys saying “invest in parks”…which seems logical from the outside. More investment = more return.

But in wdw that isn’t necessarily true. Once they hit the 7 day barrier…analysis says that it’s diminishing returns. Weird but true.
The only way they “make more”…once they maxed the attendance which appears to be 5 years ago…is to charge more. Which means investment doesn’t pay.
They would have to expand massively to bring more people in to bring growth profits. But that’s big overhead and the travelers cannibalize the existing parts due to limited vacation time and funds.

Universal hasn’t hit that wall yet. But they would if they continue to build.

I won’t go too deep…I’ll send you a free copy of my book when I write about it 👍🏻

Magenta Panther

So apparently Bruce Vaughan is the Disney parks' latest lord and savior. Well I won't be a believer until he AT LEAST fixes or replaces the broken Yeti in EE. That it's still in the ride rotting away after all these years is a huge black mark on Imagineering. Fix it or you're just another bloviator, Vaughan.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So apparently Bruce Vaughan is the Disney parks' latest lord and savior. Well I won't be a believer until he AT LEAST fixes or replaces the broken Yeti in EE. That it's still in the ride rotting away after all these years is a huge black mark on Imagineering. Fix it or you're just another bloviator, Vaughan.
…is it possible that…ahem…somebody is trying to convince the world it’s 2019 and he can do no wrong?
What kind of a sweatered weasel would do that?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom