Broken light bulb watch

janoimagine

I don't know about you Jimbo, but I had the internet about 15 years ago when things at Disney looked a whole lot better than they do today.

Jimmy Thick - Still not gettin' it.

:D

I don't think he ever will, as long as there are people like him willing to turn a blind eye and bury there heads in the sand about the bigger issues, Meg Crofton will still have her job.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Burnt light bulbs are NOTHING like the yeti, a 5th gate, or comparisons to potterland. That's exactly my point.

You have missed flav's point. Not surprisingly I might add. What he was referring to is the fact that these are constantly recurring topics. And they will be talked about ad nauseam.

Your point is harder to decipher though. I think what you are saying is you do not want people complaining about TDO cutting back on maintenance. But really why would anyone want that? So color me confused.

menamechris

You have missed flav's point. Not surprisingly I might add. What he was referring to is the fact that these are constantly recurring topics. And they will be talked about ad nauseam.

Your point is harder to decipher though. I think what you are saying is you do not want people complaining about TDO cutting back on maintenance. But really why would anyone want that? So color me confused.

I agree completely with your post. I am not sure who some people are trying to defend quite honestly.

devoy1701

I really do find it amusing when people get on those of us who complain about things like burnt out lightbulbs like there didn't used to be a standard policy regarding replacing light bulbs before they burnt out or what have you.

I agree that a burnt out light bulb doesn't ruin your vacation, but it is something you notice...whether subconsiously or whether you're purposely looking out for it because you know that those types of things are being overlooked anymore at Disney. Just like gum stuck on the sidewalks when it used to be removed nightly, rusted railings or the smokestacks on the Liberty Bell or on light figures, broken/missing effects or animatronics on rides (Big Thunder and Splash especially), bad audio on the attractions (Test Track anyone??).

How is that not a clear sign of a diminishing quality within the parks? When the whole park is a stage for a surreal world that is supposed to be better than the world we live in every day, stuff like that sticks out like a sore thumb. And I argue that those who just think it's no big deal don't fully understand what Walt Disney's plan for the theme park was all about. It's supposed to be an escape from realism, and the idea that "well it's supposed to be surreal but we all know it's not" is not supposed to win out when in a Disney Park. Again...they USED to be able to manage all of these things...so what is the problem with having a problem with them not managing themselves to that standard anymore?

menamechris

I really do find it amusing when people get on those of us who complain about things like burnt out lightbulbs like there didn't used to be a standard policy regarding replacing light bulbs before they burnt out or what have you.

I agree that a burnt out light bulb doesn't ruin your vacation, but it is something you notice...whether subconsiously or whether you're purposely looking out for it because you know that those types of things are being overlooked anymore at Disney. Just like gum stuck on the sidewalks, rust railings or smokestacks or light figures, broken/missing effects or animatronics on rides, bad audio on the attractions (Test Track anyone).

How is that not a clear sign of a diminishing quality within the parks? When the whole park is a stage for a world that is supposed to be better than reality, it sticks out like a sore thumb. And I argue that those who just think it's no big deal don't fully understand what Walt Disney's plan for the theme park was all about.

I agree that I am rather baffled when people react this way. If noticable maintenance issues are being neglected in the parks, I assume it is either one of two things. Either upper management has cutback maintenance so much that they are overworked and understaffed - OR - maintenance workers simply aren't doing their jobs and do not have a proper manager overseeing them and their productivity. Either way - how is that okay?

jodalovesmickey

I really do find it amusing when people get on those of us who complain about things like burnt out light bulbs like there didn't used to be a standard policy regarding replacing light bulbs before they burnt out or what have you.

I agree that a burnt out light bulb doesn't ruin your vacation, but it is something you notice...whether subconsiously or whether you're purposely looking out for it because you know that those types of things are being overlooked anymore at Disney. Just like gum stuck on the sidewalks when it used to be removed nightly, rusted railings or the smokestacks on the Liberty Bell or on light figures, broken/missing effects or animatronics on rides (Big Thunder and Splash especially), bad audio on the attractions (Test Track anyone??).

How is that not a clear sign of a diminishing quality within the parks? When the whole park is a stage for a surreal world that is supposed to be better than the world we live in every day, stuff like that sticks out like a sore thumb. And I argue that those who just think it's no big deal don't fully understand what Walt Disney's plan for the theme park was all about. It's supposed to be an escape from realism, and the idea that "well it's supposed to be surreal but we all know it's not" is not supposed to win out when in a Disney Park. Again...they USED to be able to manage all of these things...so what is the problem with having a problem with them not managing themselves to that standard anymore?

I have to agree. While I love the time I spend with anything Disney-related, and WDW is the crown jewel, poor maintenance really irks me...and no, the parks at WDW have not always had subpar maintenance. You can still find videos of Disney priding itself on having these teams go around at night, clips of maintenance men (in costume) going around with buckets of paint touching up the chips on the guard rails. This is truly what set it aside from the six flags of the world. We've seen this is no longer the case.

Now, mind you, I'm irked, that does not mean my time spent at these parks are ruined. I have just noticed how things have been cut back. It's kind of embarrassing to tell your 5 year old niece how this magical place is different than the parks she's been to only to have her point out chipped paint and broken AA's, "Why isn't he moving? Is he sick?" ... Yes, he's sick...and the doctor isn't seeing any patients right now.

But, as many have pointed out, the CM's, the food, the accommodations, shows, rides themselves...these are all top notch and why we continue to visit year after year (month after month in good years). These things are all held to a high standard that Disney set itself. We are just saying we've noticed maintenance isn't being held to the "Disney difference" and it's noticed.

devoy1701

I have to agree. While I love the time I spend with anything Disney-related, and WDW is the crown jewel, poor maintenance really irks me...and no, the parks at WDW have not always had subpar maintenance. You can still find videos of Disney priding itself on having these teams go around at night, clips of maintenance men (in costume) going around with buckets of paint touching up the chips on the guard rails. This is truly what set it aside from the six flags of the world. We've seen this is no longer the case.

Now, mind you, I'm irked, that does not mean my time spent at these parks are ruined. I have just noticed how things have been cut back. It's kind of embarrassing to tell your 5 year old niece how this magical place is different than the parks she's been to only to have her point out chipped paint and broken AA's, "Why isn't he moving? Is he sick?" ... Yes, he's sick...and the doctor isn't seeing any patients right now.

But, as many have pointed out, the CM's, the food, the accommodations, shows, rides themselves...these are all top notch and why we continue to visit year after year (month after month in good years). These things are all held to a high standard that Disney set itself. We are just saying we've noticed maintenance isn't being held to the "Disney difference" and it's noticed.

To say that the declining care of maintenance concerning burnt out light bulbs, chipping paint, and gum on the sidewalks ruins your vacation would be completely absurd...seriously... But people who are joining us in the "Declining by Degrees" sentiment aren't saying that at all. It's a known fact that all of these pain points that we bring up used to be of utmost priority to Walt Disney World, people aren't just looking back on the past as being all rosey and perfect. The company did truly care more about these things in the past than they do today.

And it's very disheartening to see that today there are a large amount of Disney Fans who think it's silly that people make a fuss about something that the parks and the Company and Walt himself prided themselves with back in the day.

MerlinTheGoat

I didn't quote your whole diatribe because in essences you just threw out a slippery slope straw man argument as an excuse to rail against "corporate greed".

Honestly, if a light bulb is an issue report to the nearest cast member, or guest services and follow up with a letter when you get home explaining that it impacted your vacation and has you reconsidering your future vacation choices.

If the problem is not corrected then take your vacation dollars elsewhere.

Why is this so hard?

Complaining about it on an unofficial fan site isn't going to accomplish what appears to be your desired outcome, which is slaying the monster of corporate greed.
I spoke nothing but the truth. I'm sorry you're so desperate to try to find a "straw man" or a "slippery slope" in this, but there are none. Management really IS just that bad. It's not a misrepresentation or fallacy to say that people who are against complaints are only playing into the blatant corporate greed. What else do you think is at work here? Management can go back to the way they once were at any time, but they choose the easy way out in order to maximize their already swollen pocket books. People let them, that's why they do this sort of thing.

Why do you assume i've NOT gone directly to cast members or written in letters/feedback? I have done so, such letters are ignored (at least when i have submitted them). And complaints brought directly to cast members are generally met with either chuckles or dirty looks, not much of a response besides a "we always do our best to make sure the experience is a magical one". It's a "how dare you actually want ride effects to work, streets to be clean, or paint to be new and not chipping" mentality. I'm sorry you actually think direct complaints get anywhere. They don't. It gets you nowhere to do so. I've never even complained about light bulbs even. Only serious issues with management- like trash everywhere, paint chipping all over the place, broken rides or ride effects, etc. The only time i'd ever have the gall to approach management about lightbulbs is if a building had like 3/4 of them burned out and it was ugly as sin. I continue to voice complaints even though it goes nowhere. Maybe someday on a blue moon someone will hear and do something, and maybe more people will speak up.

So in the end, there's little else to do. Sure i COULD just ignore it, but this is a good thread to post it in since WDW themselves don't listen. If the mods wish to close it and don't want anything bad said about the management, that's their problem and i'll stop whenever they do. It's a matter of free speech though, i doubt they will unless it gets nasty (possible).

It's very unfortunate that some people go so far as to ATTACK people who would dare criticize the company for legit reasons. It honestly makes no sense, there's no logic behind that. I could only imagine such a person being a blinded fan who has their head stuck up somewhere unhealthy, or they're actually Disney employees/corporates on here attempting "damage control" by attacking anyone who dares voice valid complaints.

jakeman

I spoke nothing but the truth. I'm sorry you're so desperate to try to find a "straw man" or a "slippery slope" in this, but there are none. Management really IS just that bad. It's not a misrepresentation or fallacy to say that people who are against complaints are only playing into the blatant corporate greed. What else do you think is at work here? Management can go back to the way they once were at any time, but they choose the easy way out in order to maximize their already swollen pocket books. People let them, that's why they do this sort of thing.

Why do you assume i've NOT gone directly to cast members or written in letters/feedback? I have done so, such letters are ignored (at least when i have submitted them). And complaints brought directly to cast members are generally met with either chuckles or dirty looks, not much of a response besides a "we always do our best to make sure the experience is a magical one". It's a "how dare you actually want ride effects to work, streets to be clean, or paint to be new and not chipping" mentality. I'm sorry you actually think direct complaints get anywhere. They don't. It gets you nowhere to do so. I've never even complained about light bulbs even. Only serious issues with management- like trash everywhere, paint chipping all over the place, broken rides or ride effects, etc. The only time i'd ever have the gall to approach management about lightbulbs is if a building had like 3/4 of them burned out and it was ugly as sin. I continue to voice complaints even though it goes nowhere. Maybe someday on a blue moon someone will hear and do something, and maybe more people will speak up.

So in the end, there's little else to do. Sure i COULD just ignore it, but this is a good thread to post it in since WDW themselves don't listen. If the mods wish to close it and don't want anything bad said about the management, that's their problem and i'll stop whenever they do. It's a matter of free speech though, i doubt they will unless it gets nasty (possible).

It's very unfortunate that some people go so far as to ATTACK people who would dare criticize the company for legit reasons. It honestly makes no sense, there's no logic behind that. I could only imagine such a person being a blinded fan who has their head stuck up somewhere unhealthy, or they're actually Disney employees/corporates on here attempting "damage control" by attacking anyone who dares voice valid complaints.
Disney is a for-profit company that deals in a product that is completely non-essential. I can't think of a single product that the Walt Disney Company produces that I need in everyday life.

So really the question comes down to: Am I getting the best value for my vacation dollar at Walt Disney World compared to other vacations? If the answer is yes, then I keep going. If the answer is no, then I move on.

I think I'll save my post-college anti-establishment angst that you seem to have pent up for more worthwhile corporations I think are screwing me over. Not a theme park in Florida.

Also, this is a privately owned website based out of the UK. Freedom of speech doesn't really apply here.

Lastly, it's fairly obvious you are basically just are regurgitating anti-management sentiment. Strangely enough, the only other place I hear as many buzzwords is in actual corporate meetings. Really, you aren't even original: "corporate greed", Disney employees posting in disguise, complaints not mattering. Use your angst and wow us with some new tactic to explain how TDO have seal-leather chairs! You can do it!

KingdomofDreams

Call me a perfectionist, say I have unreasonable expectations, but I notice. I don't look for it. I want to bask in the Disney magic when I'm there, but there are some things I notice. I'm just a detail oriented individual. I notice when the ride track/system squeaks and creaks so loudly that it distracts me or drowns out the ride audio. I notice when the audio cuts out or has distortion. I could go on, but you get the idea. Yes, we still go, but the second rate shortcuts and lower standards of excellence are a real buzz-kill sometimes.

MerlinTheGoat

Disney is a for-profit company that deals in a product that is completely non-essential. I can't think of a single product that the Walt Disney Company produces that I need in everyday life.

So really the question comes down to: Am I getting the best value for my vacation dollar at Walt Disney World compared to other vacations? If the answer is yes, then I keep going. If the answer is no, then I move on.

I think I'll save my post-college anti-establishment angst that you seem to have pent up for more worthwhile corporations I think are screwing me over. Not a theme park in Florida.

Also, this is a privately owned website based out of the UK. Freedom of speech doesn't really apply here.

Lastly, it's fairly obvious you are basically just are regurgitating anti-management sentiment. Strangely enough, the only other place I hear as many buzzwords is in actual corporate meetings. Really, you aren't even original: "corporate greed", Disney employees posting in disguise, complaints not mattering. Use your angst and wow us with some new tactic to explain how TDO have seal-leather chairs! You can do it!
I'll let the mods decide whether there's any room for free speech. Where the website is owned isn't going to matter, it's the people in charge. If they feel people shouldn't be allowed to voice legitimate concerns about a corporation, so be it. I'd be more than happy to follow said rules (there's not anything in the guidelines that says people can't complain about management). If freedom of speech didn't apply, 85% of all the topics and posts here would be gone and there wouldn't really be much to talk about. No one would be allowed to say "hey that's cool" or "this is underwhelming". It's pretty clear that the people who manage this website have SOME respect for freedom of speech.

It may surprise you to know that there's something known as the right to criticize entertainment. No entertainment is "mandatory" to life. Yet it is within everyone's right to criticize it if they want. It's also within their right to enjoy AND find fault in something. It's possible to enjoy something, yet present arguments as to how it could have been done better. Ever read a movie review? You don't have to completely hate or like something.

Corporate greed isn't a buzzword i'm afraid, and i'm not presenting this argument in a board of directors meeting lol!:p It's exactly what it means- a business that sees its profits over the concerns of the people they're providing a product to. If we pay for something, we have a right to voice an opinion on the quality of said product, regardless of what they or you might think. We can enjoy and criticize something we pay for. I don't see why you find it so hard to understand such a juvenile concept. I also don't understand why you seem so inclined to bash people for complaining.

It is fairly obvious that whoever you may be (whether some random user, a disney employee, whatever), you have some sort of vendetta against people who have legit complaints about Disney World. I'm sorry you think everyone has to believe the way you do. I'm not trying to be original, i'm only repeating what many already have- management sucks and needs to change. I'm also sorry that you seem to have taken my posts as some sort of personal offense directed towards yourself (if you like crappy management, that's your problem). That's all i can say about the matter.

I'll still go to Disney World, unlikely to change for a while at least. If things got so bad where i couldn't enjoy a ride, i'd stop going. I don't need to stop voicing concerns though. Staying quiet isn't going to help anyone, nor is going to hurt anyone else by voicing my opinion. If you don't like hearing it, use ignore. I'm not exactly about to stop.:wave:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Actually, Freedom of Speech doesn't apply to these boards....

But I enjoyed the rest of your rant.

MerlinTheGoat

Actually, Freedom of Speech doesn't apply to these boards....

But I enjoyed the rest of your rant.

I guess it would depend on your definition of freedom of speech. From the boards, it would seem that there is a LOT of freedom. I'm seeing hundreds of topics and posts where people are perfectly able to voice their opinion on things If the mods feel so inclined, they are also free to delete my posts. You're also free to mark them if you feel i am an insulting or harming your opinions somehow. I've read the rules. Seems that if you follow them (which i have), you're allowed to post what you wish if it's on topic. So what's the issue here?

I see no harm in complaining about management though. Do you? And why? And for what reason would you see fit to insult someone for complaining about it?

I do apologize if i've "insulted" anyone here. I don't see how complaining about management would really bother anyone though. It's beyond me why people are so uptight and irritable about it. Keeping mouths shut isn't going to help anything. I guess i should ask, why are people taking such offense and getting so irritated at my posts? What have i done to bug you? :shrug:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Freedom of speech around here is what the moderators and owner says it is.....

And I don't recall being offended in the least. Amused, yes, but not offended...

jakeman

I'll let the mods decide whether there's any room for free speech. Where the website is owned isn't going to matter, it's the people in charge. If they feel people shouldn't be allowed to voice legitimate concerns about a corporation, so be it. I'd be more than happy to follow said rules (there's not anything in the guidelines that says people can't complain about management). If freedom of speech didn't apply, 85% of all the topics and posts here would be gone and there wouldn't really be much to talk about. No one would be allowed to say "hey that's cool" or "this is underwhelming". It's pretty clear that the people who manage this website have SOME respect for freedom of speech.

It may surprise you to know that there's something known as the right to criticize entertainment. No entertainment is "mandatory" to life. Yet it is within everyone's right to criticize it if they want. It's also within their right to enjoy AND find fault in something. It's possible to enjoy something, yet present arguments as to how it could have been done better. Ever read a movie review? You don't have to completely hate or like something.

Corporate greed isn't a buzzword i'm afraid, and i'm not presenting this argument in a board of directors meeting lol!:p It's exactly what it means- a business that sees its profits over the concerns of the people they're providing a product to. If we pay for something, we have a right to voice an opinion on the quality of said product, regardless of what they or you might think. We can enjoy and criticize something we pay for. I don't see why you find it so hard to understand such a juvenile concept. I also don't understand why you seem so inclined to bash people for complaining.

It is fairly obvious that whoever you may be (whether some random user, a disney employee, whatever), you have some sort of vendetta against people who have legit complaints about Disney World. I'm sorry you think everyone has to believe the way you do. I'm not trying to be original, i'm only repeating what many already have- management sucks and needs to change. I'm also sorry that you seem to have taken my posts as some sort of personal offense directed towards yourself (if you like crappy management, that's your problem). That's all i can say about the matter.

I'll still go to Disney World, unlikely to change for a while at least. If things got so bad where i couldn't enjoy a ride, i'd stop going. I don't need to stop voicing concerns though. Staying quiet isn't going to help anyone, nor is going to hurt anyone else by voicing my opinion. If you don't like hearing it, use ignore. I'm not exactly about to stop.:wave:
I have no problem with complaining. However, I have in the past and continue to question the effectiveness and motives of such thermal gaseuosness as your post.

If Disney is only truly concerned about profits, then logic would seem to dictate that the best way to have your concerns heard would be to withhold you money in an attempt to affect their profit.

You by your own admission do not do so. Therefore, you are as complacent in what you see as the degradation of the parks as someone who does not criticize Disney here.

So in essence, anyone has the right to complain, just as anyone has the right to complain about complaining, but lets not go through this tired internet dance of thinking that anything we say here one way or another is effective.

I have no vendetta, as you so melodramatically put it, against complaints. While I do tend to be more positive than negative, I have voiced criticism occasionally both to directly to the company and on here. However, nebulous ventings of psuedo-intellectuals with no real point other than a basic message of "management bad" really contributes nothing to the conversation, in my opinion (of course, to head you off, I understand that my opinion is not the sole direction of the board).

Additionally, I tend to shy away from such topics that cannot be discuss empirically. If there is no data, then most arguments tend to degrade as this one is wont to do, into a micturating contest.

Disney used to have a system in place to more accurately eliminate lightbulb burnouts. It would be interesting to see if there was any actual data (either from past night photos or actual logs) that demonstrated that more bulbs were burned out in the past or the present. Now that would be an interesting direction for this thread.

And by the way, I'm not offended, upset, or anything of that nature. I'm simply killing time before bed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom