Broken Car Windows at EPCOT today.

TJcop

As a police Sergeant, I can tell you that GPS systems are a hot item right now. We have several entry to autos each week, sometimes 6-10 a night! They all have one thing taken: GPS systems.
Here's a tip we've been telling people: don't just remove the GPS unit from the windshield, make sure you remove the mounting hardware too. The bad guys see the empty mount (suction cup on glass usually), and know that the unit is still in the vehicle. Who carries it in their purse or other bag???

Also, the broken windows could have happened from high heat. I've seen that happen several times where it gets too hot inside the vehicle and the window explodes. That's why I leave a window open a crack when it's hot out.

goodolgm

Quick story to back this thread up....

In November on my CP I went to then-MGM with my best friend on my day off. He forgot to lock his door, as I don't have power locks. When I came back to the car, I had noticed my XM radio head unit and my radar detector had been stolen. I didn't mind *too* much, because I got the XM for free, and it was a cheapie radar detector, but still an upsetting thought.

Even though it's Disney, things like this happen. Be careful, make sure your doors are locked, and put anything valuable out of sight, or keep it on you if you can. Just my advice.

to back tjcop story i heard this on the news that the criminals are getting a little smarter and they know when seeing suction cups on the windshield that a gps it most likely in the car somewhere so they proceed in try to get into the car so folks becareful with the items in your car and also keep them out of view and keep suction cup marks off the windshield..

Figment1986

This happened about a year ago at AK... though i saw more cars broken into.

Keep all valuabled hidden and like they are not there, even if that means wiping down the window around the GPS unit before you leave...

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I`ll just reiterate; in the UK we are constantly told to remove the GPS/radar unit, its holder, the suction cup, and then wipe the window to a) clean the cup mark and b) make it look like you havn`t just wiped the glass.

Also, don`t leave anything on seats or in footwells - even if you know it`s a shopping bag of newspapers for example a scum (thief) won`t think twice about smashing a window just to see what`s in it.

Tourists especially - don`t be lulled into a false sense of security. Yep, you`re in Disney. Disney however is still in the real world.

TP2000

Uh.... Am I the only one scratching my head at all of these reports of parking lot crime at Walt Disney World?

I knew Orlando metro area has an out of control crime problem, but I thought the crime was being kept outside the Disney property line. I thought WDW was self-policed and self-governed and ultra-safe? :confused:

Here's an interesting look at the difference in crime rates between Anaheim and Orlando. Orlando is literally off the chart on all major crime in comparison to Anaheim. Wow! :eek:

Anaheim has one third more people than Orlando, but has fully one third the number of burglaries per capita.

http://anaheim.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL

DWGIRL

Our car was broken into in the epcot lot in 2004. We did not have anything valuable visible however my wallet was locked in the center compartment. They picked the lock and stole what cash I had in it but left the credit cards. We thought we got off easy until we got a call 2 weeks later back at home from the credit card companies to verify we had just used our cards in florida for several very large transactions. Apparently the thieves swiped the credit cards into a machine and went and had new cards made with our numbers. We were not responsible for the purchases but it was very upsetting and time consuming to fix. My advice is do not leave anything in your car ever. Now I carry everything on me.

CAPTAIN HOOK

In the UK (and probably elsewhere too) portable Sat Navs are the "in" thing to be stolen - don't leave them on display. Even when you remove the cradle remember to remove the "tell tale" suction cup marks on the windscreen - otherwise they'll be in the car routing through your glove box on the off chance eveythings stored in there

havoc

Uh.... Am I the only one scratching my head at all of these reports of parking lot crime at Walt Disney World?

I knew Orlando metro area has an out of control crime problem, but I thought the crime was being kept outside the Disney property line. I thought WDW was self-policed and self-governed and ultra-safe? :confused:

ooooooook... so should we should build a wall around the property line and check passports for entry?

this is a busy month for break-ins in the orlando area, disney has taken extra steps in preventing these crimes from happening on property, but unfortunately it will still happen no matter how many people are watching the lots.

TP2000

ooooooook... so should we should build a wall around the property line and check passports for entry?

this is a busy month for break-ins in the orlando area, disney has taken extra steps in preventing these crimes from happening on property, but unfortunately it will still happen no matter how many people are watching the lots.

I guess I'm just surprised at the apparent rate of these types of smash n' grag burglaries in the WDW parking lots. I have no statistics to back this up, but I've never heard of such a thing happening in the Disneyland parking structure or surface lots. I'm sure crime happens in the Disneyland lots, but with the huge online presence of Disneyland fans on mega-sites like Micechat, etc. you would think people would mention it occasionally. I've just never heard of such a thing at Disneyland in Anaheim.

But apparently it's happening fairly routinely at WDW parking lots. The rampant Orlando crime is seeping on property, and I guess I find that surprising.

Perhaps I was just being naive about how safe WDW was? :confused:

TJcop

If I was a bad guy (and I know how they operate), WDW parking lots would be perfect targets....
LOTS of cars
LOTS of time (since people will be in the park all day)
LITTLE chance of getting caught. Even with all of the security, with such a huge lot, that's a lot of area to cover.
EASY to blend in. Just wear Disney clothes...who would suspect you?
QUICK crime. Using the right tool (I've recovered tons of homemade window breakers...very easy to make), you can smash a window, grab the item(s) and be on your way in SECONDS!

This is the reality I deal with every day, and we must be dilligent, even at WDW.

Stay safe!

DisneyCane

Here's an interesting look at the difference in crime rates between Anaheim and Orlando. Orlando is literally off the chart on all major crime in comparison to Anaheim. Wow! :eek:

Anaheim has one third more people than Orlando, but has fully one third the number of burglaries per capita.

http://anaheim.areaconnect.com/crime/compare.htm?c1=Anaheim&s1=CA&c2=Orlando&s2=FL

Disney World is not located in Orlando. The Orlando City Limits are probably about 15 minutes up I-4 from Disney so if you are comparing crime stats you should be comparing Kissimmee probably. The comparison you did is like comparing Kissimmee to Los Angeles.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

wow You would think people wouldn't act this way at Walt Disney World. My mom left her purse in the front seat at the YMCA one time and they smashed the window and purse stolen. They found it in a trash can at a track where people bet on whatever was racing there. We learned our lesson. Well I guess it is a benefit for having to take Disney transportation to and from your hotel and the parks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
wow You would think people wouldn't act this way at Walt Disney World..
C'mon - why not? They arn`t there for the parks. They`re there because they are the lowest of the lows out to steal. WDW, USF, your local mall or your driveway - the world can be a **** place.

You can bet a lot more of this happens - at any resort - than leaks out. Think about it; park parking is around 50,000 cars alone. 10 cars a day broken into would be a drop in the ocean.

Sad but true. Yes, WDW is a very safe place. But nowhere is totally safe. Remember - you`re in the magic but so are they.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom