Bridge connecting MK to GF being constructed

Timekeeper

No need for a bridge. Here's how I get from the GF to MK -

Pro-Line-Stream-Rubber-BEN-_i_lbw152504.jpg

dgp602

Assuming this thread is merged with the other in the WDW hotels/resorts section, but have to ask, is there any certainty that these are floating bridges made for guest use? They look as though they could be, but it seems even more cumbersome and labor intensive than other bridge concepts.
I was there last week. It looked more like a loading dock used to ferry in materials to the Poly expansion, so as not to constantly be bringing construction materials into the Poly parking lot. But I could be wrong...

Kevin_W

I agree it doesn't look like much, but here's hoping. My wife and I started walking over towards the GF one night form the MK. It's a beautiful pathway with the bricks and nice lighting. Luckily, a CM from the monorail yelled down and stopped us before we got too far and realized it was a dead end.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I was there last week. It looked more like a loading dock used to ferry in materials to the Poly expansion, so as not to constantly be bringing construction materials into the Poly parking lot. But I could be wrong...

It doesn't look like a bridge. If there was a bridge being constructed I'm betting we would have all been discussing permits and contracts that were let for a bridge.

I'm still set on it is related to the monorail infrastructure that they have been burying surrounding the loops to the MK and Epcot. In other pictures over the last month you can see in the background of photo's the green pipes and electrical cables being sunk into the ground for the self piloting monorail system. Somehow they have to deal with water portions of that installation. That project there is permits and a contractor for.

DManRightHere

I think the OP meant that the floating bridge would be hauled out of the way pre water pageant to let the barges do their thing, then brought back in after they return. In that case, it could float. But still seems highly labor intensive and unlikely.

The epcot bridge is different. The walkway is elevated above the water so a draw bridge had to be used (a deaw bridge costs much more too).

The other bridge looks like the walkway is very close to the water level so a floating bridge can be used. It could still be moved. It could br moved by hand with ropes, an automatic wench system, by boats. I guess it would depend on the size of the bridge.

SoupBone

Not that I wouldn't put it past the current Disney to put together a less than impressive bridge for guests, I just don't think that this will be used for guests. :hilarious:

Funmeister

Oooh, I've always wanted to jog along there. Geodistance says from the wedding pavilion at GF to the Contemporary parking lot is 1.5 miles. It'd be nice if they could have a path completely around the monorail loop.

They were supposed to years ago and have guests pay for it. It was called Disney's Walk Around the World. The market dropped out on brick sales and the project was suspended indefinitely.

SoupBone

We will know it's a real bridge when the Imagineers all take a picture in front of it to showcase some random milestone in its construction.

Actually, we'll know when we see gum stuck all over it, the smell of vomit and fresh baked cookies, and an audio-animatronic sea creature that instead of moving has a leftover strobe light from the Haunted Mansion illuminating it.

surfsupdon

A bridge would be great, b/c now you have linked Polynesian and potentially SoG as well! This would be great news for joggers and fitness people, and would also really help with transportation.

There are times I am so amazed at how crowded the BoardWalk/ MGM walkway can be. That's a long walk and it is relatively busy.

Nubs70

My vote is for material barges for the Poly DVC construction. If this were a floating pedestrian bridge, would it not need to be inspected and certified each and every time it was reconnected? Any construction engineers out there?

Figment2005

From what I understand the bridge is being built for the workers to use while they install the new control system for the monorail. I could be wrong and would absolutely love it to be a permanent structure, but I just don't know.

Biff215

No way that's a permanent bridge for guests. As others have stated, permits would need to be filed and other work would need to be done along that path. I'm not saying it will never (or shouldn't) happen, it just doesn't appear to be happening right now. This was the time they should have done it, however, as DVC could have foot the bill given the extra guests now coming from that side of the lagoon.

SeanC

They could do something like the pontoon bridge in Curacao. The bridge is hinged and opens regularly to enable the passage of ocean going vessels. On the opposite end from the hinge is a small shelter where an operator controls two diesel engines turning propellers. The propellers are mounted perpendicular to the length of the bridge and allow it to swing parallel to the shore. The process only takes a few minutes to complete.

3148981396_5dd0f8060d.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom