Breaking news from WESH this morning Construction accident near Disney

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Would not want to be the CEO of that construction company or the Safety Manager. All it takes is two seconds of carelessness to have a major tragedy.

Yes because they lost two employees tragically. No human being would want to deal with that. But of course your usual smarminess conveys it in a different light.

There are any number of factors that could have caused this accident. Why speculate that it is worker carelessness when you don’t know anything . Equipment failures, material defects, etc could have been caused for this.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There are any number of factors that could have caused this accident. Why speculate that it is worked carelessness when you don’t know anything . Equipment failures, material defects, etc could have been caused for this.
All true, however, a construction accident where equipment failure is the only cause is a pretty rare occurrence. In almost every case someone or multiple someones screwed up.

Either way, the people in charge of that site are in for a long few months where every orifice is going to be probed by multiple agencies. I have been involved in a few "construction incidents", none of which resulted in so much as a minor injury and they are nothing short of brutal.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
All true, however, a construction accident where equipment failure is the only cause is a pretty rare occurrence. In almost every case someone or multiple someones screwed up.

Either way, the people in charge of that site are in for a long few months where every orifice is going to be probed by multiple agencies. I have been involved in a few "construction incidents", none of which resulted in so much as a minor injury and they are nothing short of brutal.

Agreed it will be brutal.

My hunch is that investigators are going to be most interested in the scaffolding equipment. Who installed, owned, inspected, maintained, etc it. As you know the scaffolding is often one of the most beat up and abused pieces of equipment on a construction site. A lot of the time it’s rented as well, you never know it’s history.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Agreed it will be brutal.

My hunch is that investigators are going to be most interested in the scaffolding equipment. Who installed, owned, inspected, maintained, etc it. As you know the scaffolding is often one of the most beat up and abused pieces of equipment on a construction site. A lot of the time it’s rented as well, you never know it’s history.
Providing the description of the accident is accurate, I have little doubt that the scaffolding and how it was installed as well as fall protection will be the first places they look.

The simple fact that these guys hit the ground tells me that there was either no fall protection in place, it was not done correctly or they simply were not wearing it.

Goofyernmost

Yes because they lost two employees tragically. No human being would want to deal with that. But of course your usual smarminess conveys it in a different light.

There are any number of factors that could have caused this accident. Why speculate that it is worker carelessness when you don’t know anything . Equipment failures, material defects, etc could have been caused for this.
Keep talking as you only prove that you do not know anything about me at all. Something happened if a scaffolding collapsed. I don't think it was intentional like you are trying to imply that I think it was. But, something was not followed. It was either defective, or overloaded and both of those are preventable. So be as snotty as you like. You are not correct in your assumption about what I was saying so keep on making judgments on the intention of others. I didn't put blame on either the CEO or the Safety Officer, but, for the next few days and regardless of what the verdict is on the situation, it is going to be one awful thing to deal with. I am assuming that we already are aware of how the families must feel and it had already been said. I, unlike others, do not believe that "thoughts and prayers" are any consolation to any of the affected people. My entire statement was in connection with the "quote" that I was listing about OSHA having a field day. The irony of this is that YOU are guilty of thinking that I had any meaning other then the obvious words that were said, so which one of us is smarmy.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Providing the description of the accident is accurate, I have little doubt that the scaffolding and how it was installed as well as fall protection will be the first places they look.

The simple fact that these guys hit the ground tells me that there was either no fall protection in place, it was not done correctly or they simply were not wearing it.

And you have a survivor who was involved. So it should be pretty easy to determine what "failed".

Goofyernmost

The no fall protection harnesses that I think you are referring to are to prevent a worker from falling off the scaffolding. However, if the scaffolding collapsed they would go down with it. The problem might be that the scaffolding might not have been secured to the work area. We don't know, it does matter in the long run to prevent further repeat problems, but, everyone, from the families, to the workers that were in the area, to the people that are ultimately responsible for the safety of the workers are in a very bad place right now. The best we can hope for is that it was a fluke accident and not because someone decided to overlook safety to benefit production. (i.e. Monorail) That would turn a tragedy into a tragedy that could have been prevented.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
The no fall protection harnesses that I think you are referring to are to prevent a worker from falling off the scaffolding. However, if the scaffolding collapsed they would go down with it. The problem might be that the scaffolding might not have been secured to the work area. We don't know, it does matter in the long run to prevent further repeat problems, but, everyone, from the families, to the workers that were in the area, to the people that are ultimately responsible for the safety of the workers are in a very bad place right now. The best we can hope for is that it was a fluke accident and not because someone decided to overlook safety to benefit production. (i.e. Monorail) That would turn a tragedy into a tragedy that could have been prevented.
As usual, the requirements on the issue are as clear as mud. As I understand, it either fall protection or a guard rail is required for scaffolding. If the scaffolding has a guard rail built in or installed then they can go without the fall arrest system. If all that was there was the X bracing, then they would be required to use a fall arrest system of some kind.

geekza

One summer, when I was working as an Actor/Technician at The Lost Colony in the Outer Banks of NC, we were taking down the light towers at the end of the season. They were just gigantic construction scaffolding, held in place by guy wires. As each segment was removed, we had to methodically release tension on the guy wires. We still had around four levels of scaffolding to go when one of the wires snapped. The scaffolding immediately toppled. There were a couple of folks standing on it who had been removing the section above them. Thankfully, they were low enough to the ground that they were able to jump off as the tower fell, with only minor injuries. It could have been so much worse. It is terrifying when scaffolding collapses.

My heart goes out to the family of the deceased, to the injured, and to the survivors who had to witness it. Horrible.

Kamikaze

You do know that this is what @Master Yoda does, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom