Brazil Pavilion in Epcot?

PirateFrank

For all the people that have posted unfavorable things about Brazillian tourists, do you have a concept of how poorly American tourists are viewed in places such as Europe? Our culture is not known for behaving well beyond our borders. Careful on the accusations and broad generalizations.

Speak for yourself, pal. There are plenty of respectful traveling Americans visiting every country on the planet....some go to great lengths to learn customs and dialects before arriving in a location, like myself.

Bad behavior shouldn't be condoned, no matter WHO it is or WHERE they are from....and if the vast majority of Brazillian tour groups are as disruptive as I've seen, there's nothing wrong with us commenting on it...

Regardless, such discussion shouldn't have any bearing on discussions about a Brazillian pavilion....but saying our small sliver of American vacationers can't discuss the Brazzion tour groups because of the behavior of a much larger population of American tourists, isn't a very accurate comment, (since it is likely not very representative) and appears to be dripping with self-serving condescension.

RSoxNo1

What happens here is what happens with every stereotype. Americans have the stereotype of being obnoxious over seas. Comparatively, the South American tour groups have a stereotype of being obnoxious in Disney World.

As a society we've become afraid to speak ill of another culture for fear of being branded racist or discriminatory so we try to justify our complaints with things like "we're not perfect either". The fact is, there's truth to all of this.

Personally, my only real encounter with a South American tour group is trying to avoid them because of their size. The one time where it was unavoidable was when we found ourselves amidst a group of 100+ teenagers from Argentina in the Fastpass queue for Big Thunder Mountain. The only issue here was that it became stressful for the grouper at the attraction.

NoChesterHester

Speak for yourself, pal. There are plenty of respectful traveling Americans visiting every country on the planet....some go to great lengths to learn customs and dialects before arriving in a location, like myself.

Bad behavior shouldn't be condoned, no matter WHO it is or WHERE they are from....and if the vast majority of Brazillian tour groups are as disruptive as I've seen, there's nothing wrong with us commenting on it...

Regardless, such discussion shouldn't have any bearing on discussions about a Brazillian pavilion....but saying our small sliver of American vacationers can't discuss the Brazzion tour groups because of the behavior of a much larger population of American tourists, isn't a very accurate comment, (since it is likely not very representative) and appears to be dripping with self-serving condescension.

Self-serving condescension - like making an assumption that I condone the actions of badly behaving Brazilians? Self serving in what way? What do I have to gain?

A huge number of posts up to this point have stated in one way or another that because Brazilian tour groups are obnoxious that the country doesn't deserve a World Showcase Pavilion. The condemnation of the culture by some was fairly harsh. At least that is the way I perceive it. Just like you perceived my post as self-serving condescension.

Since most of us on this board are American, and I assume that most of us behave well as tourists, I was merely pointing out that it is unfair to condemn a culture based on the way some may act on vacation. If Americans are also known to behave badly on vacation, that by no means lumps in the rest of us as insensitive ruffians.

ParkMan73

In my travels to Epcot, I never would have thought - goodness, what WS needs is a Brazil pavilion. Now that one is a distinct possibility, I think it's a great idea.

As one of the BRIC (Brazil, Russia, India, China) which we hear so much about in the news these days, I think a small token like adding Brazil to the WS would be very appropriate. It's also a large country which has to be full of interesting opportunities for rides, shows, etc.!

I'd love to see India next. Imagine a Taj Mahal replica in a prominent pavilion!

cheezbat

I hate Brazilian tour groups. Absolutely hate them. And it's not because of their size(though some are huge!). I have dealt with them for the past decade when visiting Universal, Sea World, Disney, etc...and they are ALWAYS rude, loud, obnoxious...I've been cut in line so many times by them too. Maybe the whole culture isn't that way, but I do have a couple Brazilian friends who do tell me they are as bad as they act in Disney. :p

But aside from those personal feelings and experiences, I don't think they should not build a Brazil pavillion just because of the tour groups. I would welcome another pavillion to the World Showcase, even one from Brazil. I think it makes sense since so many of them visit the parks, why not give them a place representing their country?

ryanduggers

Imagine a ride in the Brazil pavilion, no waiting in line. no fastpass needed, because butting woud be mandatory..... How's that for an interactive queue?

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I have an idea, WHY don't we have a thread where we discuss the Brazil Pavilion rumor, WITHOUT mentioning the tour groups?? Is that possible???

Gracy_hm

Brazillian Tour Groups

People looking down on any group of people based on region is ridiculous. It is simply a ignorant generalization to think EVERYONE from somewhere will have the same thought process and behavior. I have met stubborn, loud culturally incentive people from around the world that I can't don't enjoy seeing in the parks. To single out specific countries or regions and create a negative generalization is not only a great disrespect to that country it is also the very reason wars and civil rights violations have occurred for ages. Ignorance is a dangerous and far too acceptable poison and pollutes not only the person who believes it but also the children they raise. I have seen racism as well and I am dumbfounded that we can't understand we are all a brain, water, skin, limbs, and a desire for self preservation. These things do not vary, only the unsavory tradition of hate or fear separates any nation or peoples and it has perpetuated sentiments as simple as Bazillion Tour Groups all the way up to the justification of slavery due to the ignorant view that some one or some peoples are inferior to another. It is imperative that peoples of all nations understand that everyone will disagree on somethings yet we can accept differences with the understanding that our own traditions and hundreds or thousands of years of the culture specific to the location of our personal life experiences has forced us to view life differently than other people. I suppose simply put lets be kind to each other and realize that negativity has not once breaded anything positive.

Love,
Kyle

P.S I think Brazil would be a great addition to Epcot and hope it does happen!

epcotWSC

It's funny that people bash the Brazilians. They should hear what others have to say about Americans. We get called the worst things you can possibly imagine by people from other countries.

No one's perfect, we all have our distinct cultures. Personally I've seen the Brazil tour groups in person and sure they're loud and they enjoy singing and dancing while they're waiting in line, but who cares? Just mind your own business. I don't see how what other people are doing affects you. If they aren't physically causing you harm, leave them alone.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
People looking down on any group of people based on region is ridiculous. It is simply a ignorant generalization to think EVERYONE from somewhere will have the same thought process and behavior. I have met stubborn, loud culturally incentive people from around the world that I can't don't enjoy seeing in the parks. To single out specific countries or regions and create a negative generalization is not only a great disrespect to that country it is also the very reason wars and civil rights violations have occurred for ages. Ignorance is a dangerous and far too acceptable poison and pollutes not only the person who believes it but also the children they raise. I have seen racism as well and I am dumbfounded that we can't understand we are all a brain, water, skin, limbs, and a desire for self preservation. These things do not vary, only the unsavory tradition of hate or fear separates any nation or peoples and it has perpetuated sentiments as simple as Bazillion Tour Groups all the way up to the justification of slavery due to the ignorant view that some one or some peoples are inferior to another. It is imperative that peoples of all nations understand that everyone will disagree on somethings yet we can accept differences with the understanding that our own traditions and hundreds or thousands of years of the culture specific to the location of our personal life experiences has forced us to view life differently than other people. I suppose simply put lets be kind to each other and realize that negativity has not once breaded anything positive.

Thousands of years of culture? Well that eliminates you lot in the colonies.

RSoxNo1

Love,
Kyle

P.S I think Brazil would be a great addition to Epcot and hope it does happen!

I'll try to continue this as a civil discussion knowing full well it's a touchy subject for some people. I agree that the minority shouldn't be the soul contributor to our opinions on the majority. Any society that's judged on the dregs is going to be judged poorly.

What's frustrating for any group of people is when those stereotypes come to fruition. I know personally, my thought process goes to the stereotype and then I feel guilty.

Now without getting into specifics, there are certain things that I have no problem judging. People are afraid to question religious beliefs, but when those beliefs look down upon a gender, a race of people, or a sexual orientation I have no reservations about judging those people that defend their actions or attitudes by religion. The problem is, so much us done in the name of religion that the true meaning and message of that religion is often misinterpreted by its followers. That's where religion gets dicey.

Back to the Disney discussion - The size of the tour groups can be problematic. For me personally, that's really been the only issue and that's purely for selfish reasons. No one wants to be the one that gets behind the group of 100+ people in the Fastpass lane. One thing I would like to see is special tickets for these groups of 50+. The assumption would be that the entire group would travel together and as such their tickets would not be configured for fastpass. Instead, they would be given a tour guide ticket that would function as a Fastpass for the entire group. This type of thing happens often enough that I'm sure this would save time both at Fastpass dispatch, and Fastpass collection in the queue.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Not quite enough space there for the favelas, I'm afraid.....

I mean like a small popular portion of it like all the other countries. (I know it's part of Brazil, but like a popular part of Rio would be good)

I wouldn't mind them moving the Soarin' attraction over there and could be renamed to "Soarin' over Rio de Janeiro" :D

Then replace Soarin' in The Land with a brand new animatronic show, or a dark ride through different climates (changing up Living with the land a bit), or more eating space. Then they could replace The Circle of Life with a new animatronic show :)

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I mean like a small popular portion of it like all the other countries. (I know it's part of Brazil, but like a popular part of Rio would be good)

I wouldn't mind them moving the Soarin' attraction over there and could be renamed to "Soarin' over Rio de Janeiro" :D

Then replace Soarin' in The Land with a brand new animatronic show, or a dark ride through different climates (changing up Living with the land a bit), or more eating space. Then they could replace The Circle of Life with a new animatronic show :)

I'm sure you wouldn't mind any if that. Fortunately though, it will never happen....

gamblepsu

Based on the recommendations of those in this thread, I took my wife to Fogo de Chao's for Mother's Day. VERY good and definitely a fun experience.

:slurp:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom