Rumor Brazil is the frontrunner for a new World Showcase Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfSavage

So I recently saw a preview of the Hélio Oiticica: To Organize Delirium at the Whitney (it had been shown at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburg before coming to NYC). There's a lot of interesting critiques on Brazil, by a Brazilian, in the 60s and 70s inherent in Oiticica's work. I'd love to see some of his influence into the Brazilian pavilion. I know Disney won't want to touch the idea of the favelas outside of Rio, but tropicalia music and parangolés would be a great touch.

The best part of seeing this exhibit during previews was seeing it with many Brazilians and Portuguese in attendance that night. There was a huge amount of national and cultural pride from the Brazilians, it was great! And the Portuguese just were happy to see things written in their language that is so often ignored, compared to their French and Spanish neighbors.

TL;DR version: There is so much more to Brazilian culture than Carnival, Cristo Redenter, chanting tour groups and gaucho steakhouses that I hope is used in the pavilion.

Creathir

So I recently saw a preview of the Hélio Oiticica: To Organize Delirium at the Whitney (it had been shown at the Art Institute of Chicago and the Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburg before coming to NYC). There's a lot of interesting critiques on Brazil, by a Brazilian, in the 60s and 70s inherent in Oiticica's work. I'd love to see some of his influence into the Brazilian pavilion. I know Disney won't want to touch the idea of the favelas outside of Rio, but tropicalia music and parangolés would be a great touch.

The best part of seeing this exhibit during previews was seeing it with many Brazilians and Portuguese in attendance that night. There was a huge amount of national and cultural pride from the Brazilians, it was great! And the Portuguese just were happy to see things written in their language that is so often ignored, compared to their French and Spanish neighbors.

TL;DR version: There is so much more to Brazilian culture than Carnival, Cristo Redenter, chanting tour groups and gaucho steakhouses that I hope is used in the pavilion.
The architecture of São Paulo is quite amazing. Many don't realize how modern it is.

ProfSavage

The architecture of São Paulo is quite amazing. Many don't realize how modern it is.

Very modern. I've never been, but I remember when Anthony Bourdain went there in a show, and I was taken how much more like Dubai or Tokyo or Seoul it looked, rather than Toronto or London or even NYC (not that these aren't modern cities, but the former cities are known for their futuristic look while the latter have a more classical look, if that makes sense). Also, isn't it the largest city population wise in the Americas, 12th largest in the world?

ProfSavage

Also, while y'all are worried about Brazilian tour groups chanting in the pavilion, y'all should be worried about me singing "Brazil" as loud as I can haha

..."our hearts were entertaining June..."

ProfSavage

Speaking of which (Aquarela do Brasil), I know everyone is saying the "Baia" part from The Three Caballeros should be used but I think it's more likely to go with the "Aquarela do Brasil" part of Saludos Amigos because the song is more widely known (just like "We're The Three Caballeros" is "Ay Jalisco no te Rajes") and those watercolors and use of animals and nature is gorgeous. And they can still use the AAs if the Three Caballeros get evicted from Mexico, since Donald and Jose are in Saludos Amigos (even if Panchito wouldn't be introduced later). I'd be sad to lose the AAs to Mexico since I love the Three Caballeros and that song but...

bclane

Coming soon:
Spaceship Earth returns as "Deathstar 3.0" where you can stay in your own room right in the heart of Epcot.

Garbage Conpressor suites and Landing Bay studios are available starting October 2021!

A Emperor Quarters DVC penthouse suite is also available for only 1200 points per night!
You had me at garbage compressor suites...

Actually, I support this project but only if it is built with an actual superlaser which I can use to take out Dino-Rama. How many points do you think it will cost to fire the Death Star's primary weapon? Ballpark?

Creathir

You had me at garbage compressor suites...

Actually, I support this project but only if it is built with an actual superlaser which I can use to take out Dino-Rama. How many points do you think it will cost to fire the Death Star's primary weapon? Ballpark?
Gotta be somewhere in the 10,000-20,000 point range...

They have plans for a smaller version which makes an awesome fruit salad though... that one is only $199 per firing, but you get the fruit after the fact, so it's worth it.

bclane

Gotta be somewhere in the 10,000-20,000 point range...

They have plans for a smaller version which makes an awesome fruit salad though... that one is only $199 per firing, but you get the fruit after the fact, so it's worth it.
That's a steal! I'm in!

Brer Oswald

Speaking of which (Aquarela do Brasil), I know everyone is saying the "Baia" part from The Three Caballeros should be used but I think it's more likely to go with the "Aquarela do Brasil" part of Saludos Amigos because the song is more widely known (just like "We're The Three Caballeros" is "Ay Jalisco no te Rajes") and those watercolors and use of animals and nature is gorgeous. And they can still use the AAs if the Three Caballeros get evicted from Mexico, since Donald and Jose are in Saludos Amigos (even if Panchito wouldn't be introduced later). I'd be sad to lose the AAs to Mexico since I love the Three Caballeros and that song but...
Why not start with Water Color Brazil by entering a large sketch pad, eventually travel to Baia and see the Araquan, and finish with Blame it on the Samba?

Ismael Flores

This is going to sound weird but ....

I have been to all of South America and even though I prefer other countries more besides Brazil i did enjoy Brazil. My favorites are Peru, Uruguay and Chile, three amazing countries that i fell in love with because of their beauty, architecture both old and new and most importantly their people. as for Brazil surprisingly one area that i was very intrigued with was favela -Brazilian Shantytown or what some refer to the São Paulo slums. The cluttered houses on the hillsides and all the small unorganized streets, great artistic murals that are painted on random walls and just the overall feeling of the people that really makes the place special.
I have always enjoyed experiencing those areas never been one to go to a country and just visit their main large city area. After a while all cities start feeling the same and it is difficult to experience the true culture of the country. These small shantytowns seem to be locked in history and people still remember talk and live like the old days. It's where i end up meeting the most fantastic people all over the world.

I hope that whatever WDI has in mind, that they somehow capture that feeling of Brazil and not focus on the more modern aspects and touristy side. I have seen Modern and although impressive it all start looking the same. I am one of those that will tell someone to avoid places like Dubhai, Abu Dhabi which are amazing modern cities but feel cold and heartless and instead go and spend time in places like Oman, khasab, Cochin, India Jaipur, India - Sri Lanka, Patagonia, chile, Hue or Danang in Vietnam

aw14

This is going to sound weird but ....

I have been to all of South America and even though I prefer other countries more besides Brazil i did enjoy Brazil. My favorites are Peru, Uruguay and Chile, three amazing countries that i fell in love with because of their beauty, architecture both old and new and most importantly their people. as for Brazil surprisingly one area that i was very intrigued with was favela -Brazilian Shantytown or what some refer to the São Paulo slums. The cluttered houses on the hillsides and all the small unorganized streets, great artistic murals that are painted on random walls and just the overall feeling of the people that really makes the place special.
I have always enjoyed experiencing those areas never been one to go to a country and just visit their main large city area. After a while all cities start feeling the same and it is difficult to experience the true culture of the country. These small shantytowns seem to be locked in history and people still remember talk and live like the old days. It's where i end up meeting the most fantastic people all over the world.

I hope that whatever WDI has in mind, that they somehow capture that feeling of Brazil and not focus on the more modern aspects and touristy side. I have seen Modern and although impressive it all start looking the same. I am one of those that will tell someone to avoid places like Dubhai, Abu Dhabi which are amazing modern cities but feel cold and heartless and instead go and spend time in places like Oman, khasab, Cochin, India Jaipur, India - Sri Lanka, Patagonia, chile, Hue or Danang in Vietnam
Peru would have been awesome. A Machu Pichu rendition and I do thoroughly enjoy Peruvian food.

Ismael Flores

Peru would have been awesome. A Machu Pichu rendition and I do thoroughly enjoy Peruvian food.
I highly recommend visiting and staying several days in Cusco and exploring the sacred valley along with doing the week hike to machu Pichu thru the Andes. It is one of the best places i have visited that left me in awe. The Amazon Jungle and Antartica are the second and third most awe inspiring moments

2351metalcloud

Is there room connected to the proposed Brazil pad to get a hotel? Wondering if that is why there is no attraction. A Brazilian themed hotel. @marni1971 did hint at Epcot connected resorts were back on deck.

This pavilion build out, really just becomes a themed entrance. Two birds, one CapEx dollar.

Put the hotel in the area behind the USA pavilion. Similar to what Robbiem said, put a gondola that goes from the Sugarloaf Mountain at the Brazil pavilion to the Brazilian hotel. There could even be an attraction there only people staying at the hotel can experience. Guests can go through a separate security area to enter Epcot only for hotel guests. This could be used additionally to promote a resort and/or park in Brazil if Disney ever built one like they supposedly considered at one point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom