Boo to you and you and Whew... It’s too hot for a Halloween parade - A September TR

Hello friends and welcome to my September Trip Report! I’ve only been home a few weeks and I already miss Walt Disney World like crazy! I’m already going through withdrawals and searching for the possibility of any excuse to get back down to central Florida and to my favorite place on earth. Realistically, I’m thinking February or March 2013, but I would love to squeeze a trip in between now and then... Anyway, my last two Disney trips have been one extreme to the other - weather wise. I absolutely froze in December of 2010 and turned right around and melted in September 2011. But you know what? I LOVED every minute of it!

Click here to read my December 2010 trip report

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=718898

Now, on to the details of this trip...

When did we go? September 15-25, 2011
Where did we stay? Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House
How did we get there? We drove 8 and 1/2 hours
Who all went? Just me and my beautiful bride
Why did we go? Our 3 Year Anniversary! (Not that we need a reason to go to WDW)
Any other details to offer up? We had 9 day park hoppers and were on the dining plan

I started planning this trip before we even went on our December trip! Talk about excitement! Planning and thinking about two Disney trips at the same time was awesome!! Of course, with every trip to the World, our plans changed many times... but here is my pre trip report/itinerary so you can see what I planned and compare it to what we actually did.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=733892

We actually stuck to our plans, for the most part, at least until the end of the week. I was proud.

Ok, I stated earlier that on this particular trip, it was just me and my wife. Here we are...
First up, we have myself, Jon. Tar Heel born and Tar Heel bred. The planner and over the top WDW fanatic.

DSCF4369.jpg

Next we have my better half, my gorgeous bride, Brittany. The WDW veteran who loves Disney but doesn’t obsess about it 24/7 like her hubby...

DSCF4368.jpg

Man, she’s hot!!

Anyway, we had been looking forward to this trip for a long time for many different reasons. Since we walked out of EPCOT on that last night in December, we had been longing to get back! I was so pumped that I packed like a week before our trip! I NEVER do that. I’m normally a last minute packer. I was so excited because, yes, I love WDW, but also this trip was going to allow us to experience a lot of firsts. This trip would be our first trip with “just us”; this trip would be our first staying at a deluxe Disney resort; and this trip would be our first time being on the Disney Dining Plan! Wooo Hooo! We were excited! So excited, in fact, that I was up at the crack of dawn 180 days before our check in date to schedule ADRs! Needless to say, we got all the restaurants and times that we wanted. Our departure day couldn’t come fast enough!

Thursday September 15, 2011

This day started like any other day. I got up, did my normal morning routine, and was ready to go to work. The only difference (besides my heart racing from excitement and anticipation) was the fact that we were leaving for vacation in just a few hours...
Having packed a week early and having stayed on Brittany to make sure all of her packing was finished on Wednesday night to avoid feeling rushed or stressed on Thursday morning, we were all set to go the second I got home from work around noon. As I left for work that morning, this was the sight I saw as I headed out the door...

IMG_0799.jpg

The time crept by at work that morning as it seemed to take forever for lunchtime to come. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve... Finally, it was 12:00 and it was time to start our journey! I flew out of the office and minutes later into my driveway. I ran through the door, changed clothes, and finished packing everything into our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Brittany had most of our stuff loaded up already. God bless her! We jumped in the Jeep and were ready to roll! Brittany wanted to drive because she said she had an anniversary surprise for me... I went along with it.
Our traditional in the vehicle, pre-departure photo...

DSCF4287.jpg

We were on our way! Brittany immediately handed me a thick envelope and told me to open it. When I did, I found a letter and a CD. The letter got mushy (I’ll spare you guys the details...) and instructed me to put the CD in. Each song on the CD had a special meaning which she explained in detail in my letter. It was the sweetest thing EVER. I love my girl! When we had listened to all of the songs, we pulled off the interstate and swung into a Chick-fil-a to grab a quite bite and got right back on the road. Now, it was my turn to take the wheel... and I had it for the rest of the trip.

77 South...

IMG_0800.jpg

I don’t mind road trips. They are fun for me. I think the anticipation makes my excitement grow higher and higher as I near my destination.
We were making great time! I was only stopping if we had to - for gas, food or bathroom and I had packed a couple of empty water jugs. Just kidding about that last part. For the next several hours, I looked like this...

IMG_0801.jpg

And Brittany looked like this...

IMG_0802.jpg

Typical. You get this woman in a moving automobile, and she instantly transforms into an infant. She was out, so I listened to a couple episodes of WDW Today and the Be Our Guest Podcast and of course I had to pop in The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over album. Britt doesn’t like The Eagles, so I have to take advantage of her slumber when I can...
It was around 7:30pm or so when we both started to get pretty hungry. I spotted a sign for our favorite road trip restaurant at the next exit, so we pulled off, fueled up, and filled our bellies...

IMG_0806.jpg

Love some Cracker Barrel!

We got back on the road and only had a couple more hours of driving ahead of us for the night until we reached our first destination.
Weeks before I had booked a room for $71 at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange City, Florida, which is only about an hour from Walt Disney World. Our plan was to stop there for the night, get up early the next morning, and have just a short drive to WDW so we wouldn’t feel like we were wasting a day of our precious vacation! The more time in the parks, the better, right?!? We pulled in to the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express at exactly 9:30pm.

IMG_0808.jpg

It had been a long day and we were tired (although I don’t know how Britt was tired considering she slept 90% of the drive), but I still had trouble sleeping because of the excitement of knowing that in the morning we would be at Disney World! I went to the restroom and when I came out, Britt was out again already. After catching a few highlights on SportsCenter, I finally drifted off to sleep...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Loving this TR! I love how WDW just helps the love blossom in couples more than anywhere.
And I totally agree about SSE. It's always been my favorite ride and my favorite structure at WDW. There is just something about it that makes me want to take thousands of pictures of it...and I usually do. Then my fiance proposed to me in front of it in May 2011 - so if that doesn't solidify my love for that geosphere, I don't know what does! :) Can't wait to read more!

Thank you! It does! We fall in love all over again when we are at WDW!
:eek:

That's so cool! SSE will always have a special place in your hearts! Stay tuned...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Sunday September 18 Continued...

It is very tempting to ride Spaceship Earth first thing when you enter EPCOT, but knowing that we can come back and ride it any time during the day with practically no wait, we think it’s better to hit up a busier attraction early in the day. With that being said, we made our way across Future World and toward The Land.
We had almost passed Spaceship Earth, when we saw a mischievous squirrel grab an energy bar or a granola bar (or something to that effect) from an unoccupied stroller and head off into the bushes! Haha. It was hilarious! Here is a shot of the culprit...

DSCF4031-1.jpg

After watching our furry friend swipe himself a snack, we continued on our way through Future World...

DSCF4033-2.jpg

In no time, we arrived at the Land! We were so excited to ride Soarin’! It is easily one of our favorite attractions not only at EPCOT, but in all of Walt Disney World. Our plan was to grab FastPasses and then get in line, if the wait time wasn’t crazy. Hopefully our plan would work out...

DSCF4036-1.jpg

l
DSCF4035-1.jpg

DSCF4042-2.jpg

We made our way through the Land pavilion and down the steps to Soarin’ and noticed that the wait time was unfortunately already up to 60 minutes! We don’t wait an hour for anything at WDW; that’s the MAIN reason we come during slow times of the year. So, I grabbed FastPasses and we headed off to explore the rest of what the Land had to offer.
First up was another favorite of ours, Living with the Land!

DSCF4040-2.jpg

Sorry, I didn’t get any pictures of Living with the Land! I know, can you believe it?!?! Well, I had a good reason... I put my Handycam to work and recorded the entire ride. (I’ll have it up on my YouTube page soon.)

After Living with the Land, we still had some time before we could use our FastPasses for Soarin’, so we headed back upstairs and to our favorite environmental fable... The Circle of Life!

DSCF4043-2.jpg

The Circle of Life isn’t a must do on our trips by any means, but it is a good way to kill about 20 minutes while you are waiting for your FastPass time... I’m kidding, it’s a great little movie.
Finally, it was time for us to ride Soarin’! We headed back downstairs anxious to take flight over California!

IMG_0909.jpg

Soarin’ was great as is always is. It never disappoints. On our way out, I checked the time and saw that we only had about 30 minutes until our lunch ADR, so we decided to go ahead and make our way toward World Showcase!
I snapped a couple of shots as we passed through Future World and toward our destination...

DSCF4044-1.jpg

DSCF4047-1.jpg

When we came to the World Showcase Lagoon, we hung a right and were on our way to Canada for our lunch reservations at a restaurant I had heard so much about, but had never been to. That was about to change...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

Oh Canada! One of my favorite pavilions in World Showcase and home of the one restaurant in all of Walt Disney World that I was most looking forward to eating at. I think you all know that the restaurant I’m talking about is Le Cellier!
It was about 12:00 noon when we arrived in Canada for our 12:15 reservations at the famous Le Cellier Steakhouse! Even though we were fifteen minutes early, we went ahead and checked in and just walked around the beautiful Canada pavilion for a little bit...

DSCF4050.jpg

DSCF4051-1.jpg

DSCF4052.jpg

DSCF4055.jpg

I had originally planned on us having dinner at Le Cellier, but Disney had to go and change it to a two table service credit restaurant for dinner. So, that’s why I chose to eat here for lunch.
Canada is beautiful, but we were hungry, so we headed in to LeCellier to eat!

DSCF4056-2.jpg

DSCF4059-2.jpg

DSCF4060-2.jpg

Le Cellier has a really cool, laid back atmosphere to it. It’s dimly lit and romantic. Before we even ate, it was quickly becoming a favorite restaurant of mine. Our waitress came by, took our orders and brought us some bread. We ordered the cheddar cheese soup to go with our pretzel bread that was coming next!

DSCF4061-1.jpg

DSCF4062-1.jpg

DSCF4063.jpg

Next up, our main courses...

erstwo

I am only through Day One - which, what a day that was!!! - but I wanted to say that I'm loving this TR!

I agree that walking on Space Mountain is the best. I had totally forgotten until you posted, but my son and I were able to do that one night at the MK on our last trip and it was pretty amazing. There was a group of teenagers that kept circling around with us and they said they had ridden over 10 times in a row! :eek: That's commitment right there. :lol:

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
I am only through Day One - which, what a day that was!!! - but I wanted to say that I'm loving this TR!
I agree that walking on Space Mountain is the best. I had totally forgotten until you posted, but my son and I were able to do that one night at the MK on our last trip and it was pretty amazing. There was a group of teenagers that kept circling around with us and they said they had ridden over 10 times in a row! :eek: That's commitment right there. :lol:

Yeah, day one was pretty crazy, but it was fun! Sorry this TR is so long and thorough, but it's still so fresh on my mind, I don't want to leave anything out.
We LOVE walk ons, especially at our favorite attractions like Space Mountain! We always try to plan our trips around slower times of year, so we get walk ons like that often! It's great! I could ride it 10 times in a row too, but I might regret it... :hurl: Haha

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

We were enjoying our bread and soup when our entree’s came! I ordered the filet and mashed potatoes and Brittany ordered the cheeseburger with fries. Both were awesome!

DSCF4064.jpg

Sorry about the blurriness...

DSCF4065-1.jpg

For dessert, I ordered the maple creme brulee and Brittany order the chocolate moose...

DSCF4066-1.jpg

DSCF4067-1.jpg

Our lunches were delicious and so were the desserts. Britt really loved her chocolate moose and I think it’s safe to say we will be dining at Le Cellier on future trips to Walt Disney World!
After lunch, we walked around Canada some more and checked things out in the gift shop.
One last shot leaving Le Cellier...

DSCF4057-2.jpg

DSCF4068-1.jpg

DSCF4069.jpg

DSCF4070.jpg

DSCF4071-1.jpg

Brittany found this shirt in the gift shop and even though it was huge and she doesn’t drink, it fit her to a t...

DSCF4072.jpg

Haha. Love you, Britt!

PartOfYourWorld

Your pictures of the filet at Le Cellier are making me want one right now :slurp: It's my favorite restaurant EVER and it's funny because those are the exact things me and my mom had for dinner there. I'm so glad you loved it there! :sohappy:

switts

I really have to stop reading these when I am hungry. The food is making me feel like i havent eaten in days. Can not wait to eat at Le Cellier

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Your pictures of the filet at Le Cellier are making me want one right now :slurp: It's my favorite restaurant EVER and it's funny because those are the exact things me and my mom had for dinner there. I'm so glad you loved it there! :sohappy:

The food at Le Cellier was SO good! We can't wait to go back!

I really have to stop reading these when I am hungry. The food is making me feel like i havent eaten in days. Can not wait to eat at Le Cellier

Haha. I know what you mean!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

When we came out of the gift shop in Canada, it was starting to rain a little bit. I knew it wouldn’t last long, but this was really throwing a wrench in my picture taking plan for World Showcase. Oh well, I knew we would be back later in the week if it didn’t clear up soon. I packed my camera in my bag and we made our way around World Showcase Lagoon.
Finally, when we neared the American pavilion, the rain began to lighten up considerably, but not enough to risk my camera for, so we headed inside of the American Adventure.
We sat down for a few minutes on one of the benches and we were just going to wait for the next show to start. Suddenly, the Voices of Liberty came walking out and started singing, so we gathered around to listen...

DSCF4073-2.jpg

The Voices of Liberty are amazing! We really enjoyed listening to them. After just a few minutes, people starting lining up for the next showing of the American Adventure! We got in line as well and were anxiously waiting for them to let us in because we really enjoy this show!

DSCF4075-1.jpg

DSCF4074-2.jpg

Finally, they let us in and we headed up the stairs and toward the theater!

DSCF4078.jpg

The American Adventure was great! We left feeling all patriotic inside and proud to be Americans!
Our moods, however, changed quickly as we neared the exit... It was POURING outside! We tried to wait it out for a while inside, but the rain was just not letting up. We decided to put on our ponchos and continue our trek around World Showcase in the rain. Aren’t we pitiful?

IMG_0910.jpg

We stepped out into the rain and man, was it coming down! We walked for probably 5 minutes and the rain started to let up. By the time we reached the Norway pavilion, it had completely stopped. Perfect! I got my camera back out and started snapping away again!

DSCF4081.jpg

DSCF4080-1.jpg

DSCF4079-1.jpg

I don’t know why, but Maelstrom is one of my favorite attractions. There’s really not that much to it, but I love it. I also loved that the wait time was only 5 minutes, so we went on in to ride it.

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_0913.jpg

I got video of Maelstrom and I should have it up shortly on my YouTube page.
After we went back, back over the falls, we had a couple more things on our list of things we wanted to do at EPCOT before we headed back to the AKL to rest up and get ready for the night’s events...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

Leaving the Norway pavilion, we noticed that it had turned into a beautiful day! The rain was completely gone and there was hardly a cloud in the sky! Not many sights are as stunning as looking across World Showcase Lagoon from any angle or location. We stopped for a minute and admired the view...

DSCF4087.jpg

DSCF4086-2.jpg

I had to explain to Brittany that when they built the Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, the back side of it was going to be visible from EPCOT, so they had to make it blend in with the Morocco pavilion. Pretty cool, huh? Disney and their details... Gotta love it!

DSCF4085-1.jpg

Looking at World Showcase was beautiful, but we were ready for some thrills, so we headed to yet another of our favorite attractions in Walt Disney World... Test Track!

IMG_0917.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

Test Track didn’t disappoint! This attraction is one of our favorites because of it’s uniqueness and just overall fun. The speed doesn’t hurt either... Does it seem to anyone else that you’re going a lot faster than 60-70 mph around that last curve, or is it just me?
We had a long, busy night planned, so we knew we needed to leave EPCOT soon to get back to AKL and rest up a little bit, so we headed for the exit.

IMG_0918.jpg

As we walked past Spaceship Earth, I asked Britt if she was up for another ride on it. She said, “Sure”, so we jumped on since it was a 0 minute wait! Haha!

DSCF4023-1.jpg

IMG_0919.jpg

After our journey through the history of human communication, we sadly made our way out of EPCOT for the day...

DSCF4090.jpg

DSCF4091-2.jpg

Back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge we went to get off of our feet for a little while, change clothes and get ready for dinner and a fun filled night of Extra Magic Hours at our favorite park!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster

I always hate leaving any Disney park. It’s so sad. The only thing that makes it ok is knowing that we still had the rest of the week to come back to EPCOT and all the other parks multiple times! Ok, all better! Haha.
After a short bus trip back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo House, we headed up to our room with plans of taking a short nap; but when we got to our room, we walked out on to our balcony only to see animals everywhere! Finally we got to see some animals from our “savanna view” room!

DSCF4092-2.jpg

DSCF4093-1.jpg

DSCF4094_2.jpg

DSCF4096_2.jpg

DSCF4097-1.jpg

DSCF4100-1.jpg

DSCF4101_2.jpg

DSCF4102-1.jpg

DSCF4104-1.jpg

It was so cool to see all these exotic animals right outside our window! This is what sets AKL apart from all the other Disney resorts, in my opinion.
After we animal watched, we laid down for a short nap and got some much needed rest. WDW can really wear you out if you don’t slow down and rest some, especially during the hotter months of the year.
We were rested up, had a change of clothes on and were ready for dinner and EMHs! We headed down to the bus stop, and when we were walking down the sidewalk, we could see our bus had just pulled up and was loading! It was going to be a good night...

DSCF4106-1.jpg

jhoff3405

All caught up! The pic of the two of you in front of SSE is so cute.
I can't believe everything you guys have already done...your feet must have been tired!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
All caught up! The pic of the two of you in front of SSE is so cute.
I can't believe everything you guys have already done...your feet must have been tired!

Thanks! :D
Yeah, we were on a roll! Love those light crowds!! I'm tired just thinking about it all over again... Haha

93boomer

Premium Member
Hey Jon and Brittany! We're back!:wave: A little tired but happy! I finally got caught up on your TR. You have had one of the best ones on here that I've read. So much fun and you guys rock! But I totally blew your score on Buzz! I had 440,000 pts and I'm a woman! :ROFLOL: Don't know what I hit, but I blew my DH out of the water, bigtime!
You had to tell me to eat well, didn't you? I had one of those red velvet cupcakes at Starring Rolls Cafe and oh my! I gained 2 lbs. just eating it alone.
The crowds were big everywhere this past week. Glad your's was lighter. May have to change months next time. We went to DHS to get fastpasses for TSM and there was a line almost to the Little Mermaid show, just for fp! We ran over there later, and there was (wait for it) a 200 mt. wait in line! I'm sorry, but no ride is worth waiting that long!
Glad you guys went to Mickey's Halloween Party! It is the coolest. I even had my pix made with Jack Sparrow, thank you very much!
Love the pix of the AKL. I almost made our ressies there, but stuck with POR which is very nice, too.
I won't put up my pix cause most of them are duplicates of yours. But, we had a very happy anniversary trip (31 yrs.)!! And like you and Brittany, can't wait for the next trip!! ASU RULES! Yep had to put that in!

mickey2008.1

Great TR. What caught my attention was the anniversary, the december trip, and september trip. Here's why. We went last december in the freezing cold same time. We went this Sept 14-20. And the kicker is, it was our three year anniversary. We were even in MK the same day this year!:lol:

TheMouseFan

Finally caught up on my reading of your TR again. We got back late Saturday and I only got a chance to check it out today.

I am jealous that you ate at Sci-Fi. We were supposed to, but had to cancel because the Jedi Training Academy was at the same time. Those darn kids!!:lol: I was so looking forward to getting the tomato soup and onion rings.:(

My husband and I are like you two about Epcot. He absolutely loves it and can't wait to get to World Showcase, while I could not step foot in Epcot and not be terribly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy going, just not as much as the other parks. We also enjoyed our lunch at LeCellier!

I'm very jealous about the lack of crowds. It was very crowded last week every day except Tuesday in the Magic Kingdom. I didn't think October was supposed to be that crowded, but it was!! Last time we took the kids was in September and I remember basically walking on to everything then.

Looking forward to reading more!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Hey Jon and Brittany! We're back!:wave: A little tired but happy! I finally got caught up on your TR. You have had one of the best ones on here that I've read. So much fun and you guys rock! But I totally blew your score on Buzz! I had 440,000 pts and I'm a woman! :ROFLOL: Don't know what I hit, but I blew my DH out of the water, bigtime!
You had to tell me to eat well, didn't you? I had one of those red velvet cupcakes at Starring Rolls Cafe and oh my! I gained 2 lbs. just eating it alone.
The crowds were big everywhere this past week. Glad your's was lighter. May have to change months next time. We went to DHS to get fastpasses for TSM and there was a line almost to the Little Mermaid show, just for fp! We ran over there later, and there was (wait for it) a 200 mt. wait in line! I'm sorry, but no ride is worth waiting that long!
Glad you guys went to Mickey's Halloween Party! It is the coolest. I even had my pix made with Jack Sparrow, thank you very much!
Love the pix of the AKL. I almost made our ressies there, but stuck with POR which is very nice, too.
I won't put up my pix cause most of them are duplicates of yours. But, we had a very happy anniversary trip (31 yrs.)!! And like you and Brittany, can't wait for the next trip!! ASU RULES! Yep had to put that in!

Welcome back!! I know it's bittersweet. Happy Anniversary and thanks for stopping back by and reading!
Wow, that's quite a score on Buzz, but remember, we haven't taken our last spin on it yet for the week...

Great TR. What caught my attention was the anniversary, the december trip, and september trip. Here's why. We went last december in the freezing cold same time. We went this Sept 14-20. And the kicker is, it was our three year anniversary. We were even in MK the same day this year!:lol:

That is crazy! It IS a small word after all...

Finally caught up on my reading of your TR again. We got back late Saturday and I only got a chance to check it out today.
I am jealous that you ate at Sci-Fi. We were supposed to, but had to cancel because the Jedi Training Academy was at the same time. Those darn kids!!:lol: I was so looking forward to getting the tomato soup and onion rings.:(
My husband and I are like you two about Epcot. He absolutely loves it and can't wait to get to World Showcase, while I could not step foot in Epcot and not be terribly disappointed. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy going, just not as much as the other parks. We also enjoyed our lunch at LeCellier!
I'm very jealous about the lack of crowds. It was very crowded last week every day except Tuesday in the Magic Kingdom. I didn't think October was supposed to be that crowded, but it was!! Last time we took the kids was in September and I remember basically walking on to everything then.
Looking forward to reading more!

Welcome back and thanks for catching up on the TR! I look forward to seeing yours soon... ;)
September crowds were great and I thought October crowds were supposed to be light as well. :shrug: Sorry about that. I recommend suscribing to touringplans.com, as we found it helpful and rewarding! Glad you guys had a good trip and Le Cellier is the best, isn't it?!?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom