Boo to you and you and Whew... It’s too hot for a Halloween parade - A September TR

Hello friends and welcome to my September Trip Report! I’ve only been home a few weeks and I already miss Walt Disney World like crazy! I’m already going through withdrawals and searching for the possibility of any excuse to get back down to central Florida and to my favorite place on earth. Realistically, I’m thinking February or March 2013, but I would love to squeeze a trip in between now and then... Anyway, my last two Disney trips have been one extreme to the other - weather wise. I absolutely froze in December of 2010 and turned right around and melted in September 2011. But you know what? I LOVED every minute of it!

Click here to read my December 2010 trip report

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=718898

Now, on to the details of this trip...

When did we go? September 15-25, 2011
Where did we stay? Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge - Jambo House
How did we get there? We drove 8 and 1/2 hours
Who all went? Just me and my beautiful bride
Why did we go? Our 3 Year Anniversary! (Not that we need a reason to go to WDW)
Any other details to offer up? We had 9 day park hoppers and were on the dining plan

I started planning this trip before we even went on our December trip! Talk about excitement! Planning and thinking about two Disney trips at the same time was awesome!! Of course, with every trip to the World, our plans changed many times... but here is my pre trip report/itinerary so you can see what I planned and compare it to what we actually did.

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=733892

We actually stuck to our plans, for the most part, at least until the end of the week. I was proud.

Ok, I stated earlier that on this particular trip, it was just me and my wife. Here we are...
First up, we have myself, Jon. Tar Heel born and Tar Heel bred. The planner and over the top WDW fanatic.

DSCF4369.jpg

Next we have my better half, my gorgeous bride, Brittany. The WDW veteran who loves Disney but doesn’t obsess about it 24/7 like her hubby...

DSCF4368.jpg

Man, she’s hot!!

Anyway, we had been looking forward to this trip for a long time for many different reasons. Since we walked out of EPCOT on that last night in December, we had been longing to get back! I was so pumped that I packed like a week before our trip! I NEVER do that. I’m normally a last minute packer. I was so excited because, yes, I love WDW, but also this trip was going to allow us to experience a lot of firsts. This trip would be our first trip with “just us”; this trip would be our first staying at a deluxe Disney resort; and this trip would be our first time being on the Disney Dining Plan! Wooo Hooo! We were excited! So excited, in fact, that I was up at the crack of dawn 180 days before our check in date to schedule ADRs! Needless to say, we got all the restaurants and times that we wanted. Our departure day couldn’t come fast enough!

Thursday September 15, 2011

This day started like any other day. I got up, did my normal morning routine, and was ready to go to work. The only difference (besides my heart racing from excitement and anticipation) was the fact that we were leaving for vacation in just a few hours...
Having packed a week early and having stayed on Brittany to make sure all of her packing was finished on Wednesday night to avoid feeling rushed or stressed on Thursday morning, we were all set to go the second I got home from work around noon. As I left for work that morning, this was the sight I saw as I headed out the door...

IMG_0799.jpg

The time crept by at work that morning as it seemed to take forever for lunchtime to come. I was like a kid on Christmas Eve... Finally, it was 12:00 and it was time to start our journey! I flew out of the office and minutes later into my driveway. I ran through the door, changed clothes, and finished packing everything into our Jeep Grand Cherokee. Brittany had most of our stuff loaded up already. God bless her! We jumped in the Jeep and were ready to roll! Brittany wanted to drive because she said she had an anniversary surprise for me... I went along with it.
Our traditional in the vehicle, pre-departure photo...

DSCF4287.jpg

We were on our way! Brittany immediately handed me a thick envelope and told me to open it. When I did, I found a letter and a CD. The letter got mushy (I’ll spare you guys the details...) and instructed me to put the CD in. Each song on the CD had a special meaning which she explained in detail in my letter. It was the sweetest thing EVER. I love my girl! When we had listened to all of the songs, we pulled off the interstate and swung into a Chick-fil-a to grab a quite bite and got right back on the road. Now, it was my turn to take the wheel... and I had it for the rest of the trip.

77 South...

IMG_0800.jpg

I don’t mind road trips. They are fun for me. I think the anticipation makes my excitement grow higher and higher as I near my destination.
We were making great time! I was only stopping if we had to - for gas, food or bathroom and I had packed a couple of empty water jugs. Just kidding about that last part. For the next several hours, I looked like this...

IMG_0801.jpg

And Brittany looked like this...

IMG_0802.jpg

Typical. You get this woman in a moving automobile, and she instantly transforms into an infant. She was out, so I listened to a couple episodes of WDW Today and the Be Our Guest Podcast and of course I had to pop in The Eagles - Hell Freezes Over album. Britt doesn’t like The Eagles, so I have to take advantage of her slumber when I can...
It was around 7:30pm or so when we both started to get pretty hungry. I spotted a sign for our favorite road trip restaurant at the next exit, so we pulled off, fueled up, and filled our bellies...

IMG_0806.jpg

Love some Cracker Barrel!

We got back on the road and only had a couple more hours of driving ahead of us for the night until we reached our first destination.
Weeks before I had booked a room for $71 at the Holiday Inn Express in Orange City, Florida, which is only about an hour from Walt Disney World. Our plan was to stop there for the night, get up early the next morning, and have just a short drive to WDW so we wouldn’t feel like we were wasting a day of our precious vacation! The more time in the parks, the better, right?!? We pulled in to the parking lot of the Holiday Inn Express at exactly 9:30pm.

IMG_0808.jpg

It had been a long day and we were tired (although I don’t know how Britt was tired considering she slept 90% of the drive), but I still had trouble sleeping because of the excitement of knowing that in the morning we would be at Disney World! I went to the restroom and when I came out, Britt was out again already. After catching a few highlights on SportsCenter, I finally drifted off to sleep...

Kristia

I agree that Halloween is one of the best times to be at WDW, although Christmas gives it a run for it's money...

We went to the Halloween Party in 2009 and are going to the Christmas Party on Nov 30 of this year. We loved the Halloween one and are hoping we like the Christmas one just as much!

Allygator

We went last year to the Halloween Party and I too have to agree that it's the best time to go! We have a trip planned for March and I have to say I am sad that it's not during Halloween. lol Hopefully we can go back during that time in 2013. Love your TR. Just looking at your great pictures brings back so many memories! Thanks for sharing!!

Ariel484

Love the report so far (and your wife's hair, too, of course)! :lol: Great pictures and nice upgrade! Looks like a DVC Studio Villa I guess?? Can't wait for more!

PolynesianPrincess

Love the parade pics!! :) And how awesome... a savannah view room!! :sohappy: I've never been over to AKL but we're planning on dining at Sanaa in the spring so we can check it out.

I'm also really wanting to check out MNSSHP. We're going to MVMCP next month and since we (my sister, mother and myself) LOVE Christmas, we're hoping we like it. Next year though we're aiming for opening weekend if the F&W festival for not only MNSSHP but also to run in the Wine and Dine half marathon. My sister isn't really a Halloween person so she's not really interested in the party.. Crazy I know, right?

Love the room upgrade! I can't wait to see if you spotted any animals from your balcony....? And the Boo To You pics were very impressive. We've been in the fall 3 times and we always miss MNSSHP, I'm making it my goal to go in 2012, even if it is for a short weekend. Looking forward to the rest. And please tell your wife her hair is the BOMB! I so wish I was brave enough to cut this long hair of mine sometimes!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
We went to the Halloween Party in 2009 and are going to the Christmas Party on Nov 30 of this year. We loved the Halloween one and are hoping we like the Christmas one just as much!

We loved both parties and will probably do both again if we are back during Halloween or Christmas!

We went last year to the Halloween Party and I too have to agree that it's the best time to go! We have a trip planned for March and I have to say I am sad that it's not during Halloween. lol Hopefully we can go back during that time in 2013. Love your TR. Just looking at your great pictures brings back so many memories! Thanks for sharing!!

We loved MNSSHP and can't wait to go back and do it again! Thanks for your kind words!

Love the report so far (and your wife's hair, too, of course)! :lol: Great pictures and nice upgrade! Looks like a DVC Studio Villa I guess?? Can't wait for more!

Thanks and Britt thanks you too! She's starting to get a bit of a big head...
Yep, DVC Studio Villa!

Love the parade pics!! :) And how awesome... a savannah view room!! :sohappy: I've never been over to AKL but we're planning on dining at Sanaa in the spring so we can check it out.
I'm also really wanting to check out MNSSHP. We're going to MVMCP next month and since we (my sister, mother and myself) LOVE Christmas, we're hoping we like it. Next year though we're aiming for opening weekend if the F&W festival for not only MNSSHP but also to run in the Wine and Dine half marathon. My sister isn't really a Halloween person so she's not really interested in the party.. Crazy I know, right?

Thanks! Yep, upgrades are sweet! We rented DVC points through David's Vacation Club for the price of what a value resort would have cost us for the week and added the dining plan. I originally booked a standard view room, but when we first tried to check in, I asked for a savanna view room. Never hurts to ask... :cool:
You will LOVE MVMCP! So much fun! The MK looks amazing all decorated up for Christmas! It really gets you in the Christmas spirit!
I want to try to get down for a half marathon someday... Your sister would change her mind if she went to the party. Trust.

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Love the room upgrade! I can't wait to see if you spotted any animals from your balcony....? And the Boo To You pics were very impressive. We've been in the fall 3 times and we always miss MNSSHP, I'm making it my goal to go in 2012, even if it is for a short weekend. Looking forward to the rest. And please tell your wife her hair is the BOMB! I so wish I was brave enough to cut this long hair of mine sometimes!

We loved it too! :D
Thanks!
I hope you get to do MNSSHP, you will love it!!
I'll let her know... Thanks for the compliment!

Loving it. I LOVE that T-shirt. I am definitely going to buy it on our upcoming trip if I see it.

It definitely does NOT specify which children to take by the hand.

You took photos of all of my favorite parts of Boo to You. Good job!

One disappointment - Why didn't you dress up?:shrug:

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Loving it. I LOVE that T-shirt. I am definitely going to buy it on our upcoming trip if I see it.

It definitely does NOT specify which children to take by the hand.

You took photos of all of my favorite parts of Boo to You. Good job!

One disappointment - Why didn't you dress up?:shrug:

Thanks! That shirt shouldn't be hard to find. We saw it everywhere. LOL.
Sorry we didn't dress up. I'm scary enough without dressing up... :lookaroun
Also, it was just too freakin' hot! Maybe next time.

93boomer

Premium Member
Great job! Pictures are awesome! We totally go to wdw during the fall to the food and wine festival! And for the past two years, we have attended MNSSHP. It is the best time! We are going again to next Thursday's party!:sohappy: Keep up the good work! You two look so cute together!!

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Great job! Pictures are awesome! We totally go to wdw during the fall to the food and wine festival! And for the past two years, we have attended MNSSHP. It is the best time! We are going again to next Thursday's party!:sohappy: Keep up the good work! You two look so cute together!!

Thanks! I'd like to make it back down for MNSSHP again and check out the Food and Wine Festival as well!
Have fun next week!
Thank you!!

tiaragirl

AW, blushing that you like my TRs - thanks for the compliment!

That sounds like the MOST solid of first days, and I'm so happy you guys got your upgrade! Looking forward to the next instalment - but you've tired me out with all your running around so maybe I'll take a nao..

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Ahh! Thanks! Hope the weather is warm!! :)

I hope so too, for your sake... :xmas:

AW, blushing that you like my TRs - thanks for the compliment!
That sounds like the MOST solid of first days, and I'm so happy you guys got your upgrade! Looking forward to the next instalment - but you've tired me out with all your running around so maybe I'll take a nao..

I LOVE your TR's. I'm a big fan! The Vorld and the Vonder TR? Oh yeah, that was the best! :animwink:
Yeah, we were pretty worn out, but that's the only way to do Disney, right?!? We would slow down a little as the week went on, but not much. Stay tuned...

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Saturday September 17, 2011

The alarm on Brittany’s phone went off at 6:45am and we jumped out of bed to get ready for our second day at our favorite place in the world! After we got ready, we looked out of our window, hoping to see some animals, but none were out... That’s ok though, we didn’t have time to watch them. If we needed to get to any park at rope drop during the week, today was the day. And on top of that, the park we were going to today had morning Extra Magic Hours from 8:00am-9:00am. You see, today was our Hollywood Studios day and if you want any chance in riding Toy Story Midway Mania more than once during the day, you have to get there at rope drop. We’ll check for animals tomorrow...
We got to the AKL bus stop and waited for about 10-15 minutes and then the DHS bus pulled up! We jumped on and were pulling in to the Studios ready for a picture perfect day in no time!

DSCF4010-1.jpg

We had barely made it to the gates a few minutes before 8:00am, and before we had a chance to put our Keys to the World back in our pockets, we (along with the herd of other people) were headed toward Pixar Studios.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios really needs another attraction to draw some of the crowds away from Toy Story in the mornings. You would think RnRC and ToT would do the trick, but they don’t. Cars Land might to it, Disney... Just sayin...

DSCF4001-1.jpg

DSCF4013-1.jpg

We made it back to Pixar Studios and I quickly grabbed a pair of FastPasses for Toy Story, then we got in the stand by line. It really wasn’t bad at all. We walked right through the queue until we got to the top of the stairs. Not bad at all. I managed a few pictures on the way in, but I wasn’t too worried because I knew we would be back later. I would get more pictures then.

DSCF4002-1.jpg

DSCF4003.jpg

I did work on Toy Story Midway Mania, like usual, to the tune of 135,000 points. Britt was nipping at my heels with 117,200... I better tighten up my game!
Our FastPass return time was for 10:45, so there was no need to stay in this area considering it was only around 8:30. So we left Pixar Studios and headed toward our favorite part of the park, Hollywood Blvd.
Two of my top three attractions at Walt Disney World are located in this area of the park; actually they are just feet apart...
The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror and the Rock’n’ Roller Coaster!

DSCF4005-1.jpg

DSCF4007-1.jpg

After a couple of rides on each of these great attractions, I wanted to check out the new Star Tours, so we headed toward the other side of DHS. On our way back down Hollywood Blvd., we spotted a Photo Pass photographer...

DSCF4008-1.jpg

And now a close-up. Britt rockin’ the App State shirt. Me? Heels, baby!

DSCF4009.jpg

It was already getting hot! We needed to find some shade, but there was none to be had. Luckily, Brittany was able to find a giant leaf that she used to fan herself and basically save her from a certain heat stroke.

DSCF4011.jpg

After that close call, we were ready to journey back out into the sun and to our ultimate destination, Star Tours!

PartOfYourWorld

Love the report!!! And so jealous of the AKL room!! I would love to stay there one day! Maybe after I find that wonderful Engineering job I'm looking for :lol:

I have to agree with MNSSHP!! It was my first time too and it was great! The parade definitely became my favorite as well! That song will definitely get stuck in your head...

Can't wait to read more!!!

93boomer

Premium Member
Brittany you rock girl! Go ASU! We're Mountaineers too!! Our DD graduated from undergrad and grad there! We love Boone! I knew there was a good reason I am loving all your posts! You just made my day! Pictures are still great, as usual. :ROFLOL:

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Awesome TR :)
Are you wearing Toms in the DHS photos?

Thanks!! And yes, those are Toms. :cool:

Love the report!!! And so jealous of the AKL room!! I would love to stay there one day! Maybe after I find that wonderful Engineering job I'm looking for :lol:
I have to agree with MNSSHP!! It was my first time too and it was great! The parade definitely became my favorite as well! That song will definitely get stuck in your head...
Can't wait to read more!!!

Thank you! Yeah, that room was pretty sweet. Rent points from a DVC member, and you definitely can afford it!
Boo to you and you and you and you, Happy Halloween... haha

Brittany you rock girl! Go ASU! We're Mountaineers too!! Our DD graduated from undergrad and grad there! We love Boone! I knew there was a good reason I am loving all your posts! You just made my day! Pictures are still great, as usual. :ROFLOL:

ASU... Just wait until Dec. 17 (UNC plays ASU in basketball) and then get back to me... ;) Haha, just picking. Her sister goes to App, but both of my parents went there, so we love App too.

MEyeSeeKayEY

Original Poster
Saturday September 17 Continued...

As we walked across Disney’s Hollywood Studios, I noticed that just like yesterday at the Magic Kingdom, the crowds were very light! That is a dream come true for any WDW fan that tries to do as many attractions as possible during any given trip. The final ride count on my WDW Magic Ride Counter App on my iPhone was 113 rides for the week. Not too shabby... All of those rides were made possible by light crowds!
These light crowds became even more evident as we walked past the hat, which I admittedly like, and looked back toward the entrance to the park...

DSCF4020-1.jpg

DSCF4021.jpg

Finally, we made it over to the Star Tours area! By this time, I was very excited to experience the attraction for the first time since the big refurbishment. I always enjoyed the old version, but probably only rode it once per trip in the past. On our December trip, it was closed, so needless to say, I was ready to ride!

DSCF4022.jpg

DSCF4025-1.jpg

Once we were inside and got our 3-D glasses, we had to get the traditional 3-D glasses shot that everyone always gets... Hey, they’re fun! Don’t act like you’ve never done it.

IMG_0891.jpg

Wow! I have to say that I LOVE the new Star Tours! It was so cool, so much fun and so much better than I remembered! Of course, it was almost a completely different ride, but still, it was great! I think it is now the best 3-D attraction at Walt Disney World.
After our ride through the galaxy, we checked to see if it was time to use our Toy Story Midway Mania FastPasses yet. It was only 10:30, so we still had about 15 minutes to kill. Perfect, because I was getting a little hungry. We headed back toward the middle of the park and I thought about something I wanted to try that I had read about on these message boards. This something was located at the Starring Rolls Cafe. Anybody want to guess what treat I had to try?!?

DSCF4033-1.jpg

What would I choose????

DSCF4028.jpg

If you guessed the famous Butterfinger Cupcake, then you were right! This thing was delicious! I can’t even describe it. Someone on this message board once said it was like an explosion of taste in your mouth and that’s exactly what it was like! I took two pictures of it to try and let people have some kind of idea... but it still doesn’t do it justice. The next time you are at DHS, you HAVE to go get one. You will love it and it’s only one snack credit on the DDP!

DSCF4029-1.jpg

DSCF4030-1.jpg

If I had to say something negative about the Butterfinger Cupcake, it would have to be that it might be too sweet (if there is such a thing). Regardless, I inhaled the thing (and yes, I let Britt taste a small bite) and we were on our way.
Starring Rolls was the perfect little pit stop. We had refueled and now we were ready to use our Toy Story FastPasses. Back toward Pixar Studios we went, stomach ache and all.
We passed these guys on our way...

DSCF4057-1.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom