Boma... Good Grief!! :-(

MT Disney Fan

Original Poster
Going to be staying at AKL in October.

Land around 4pm at MCO so we should be checked in roughly 2 hours later.

Was going to book Bomo for dinner so we didn't have to travel anywhere. We ate there a few years back and liked it ok, but were not wow'd by it like most everyone else.

But Good Grief! $30.99/adult and $14.99/child!! :eek: :eek:

Plus tax and drinks and tip and you're talking $120 for a buffet!! :mad:

I certainly do NOT remember it being this expensive 4 years ago when we first we went. I do remember that it was just "so-so". Guess we'll have to leave the hotel and find somewhere at Downtown Disney like Ragland or Portabello.

Mukta

Eat at Sanaa instead. You can pick what you want and not have such an expensive meal and it is still in your resort area.

Biff215

The TiW card makes it much more reasonable IMO. I agree that some of the buffet prices are getting crazy, for all meals. The holiday pricing only makes it worse.

In most cases I prefer to dine at places where I can choose my meal based on how hungry I am and how much it will cost. Ohana would be the exception during our next trip, as we find that well worth it for dinner.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
They seem to be increasing prices at all the restaurants in an effort to make the DDP continue to seem like a good deal.

The TiW card is great, I used to just consider that it saved us the tip, but since they automatically add the 18% gratuity now, it saves me 2%. But 2% of 2010 prices is a lot less savings than 2% of 2008 prices! I should just be grateful they haven't increased the price on the TiW card!:lookaroun

tampabrad

I agree with going to Sanaa, the place is awesome. Sanaa is now on my list with Artist Point, Cali Grill, and Jiko of places I will drive from Tampa just for dinner.

Buffett prices are getting out of hand. Wouldn't you spend just as much at Portabello and Ragland Road? I can justify Boma being more expensive, because there are some unique items. The Holiday pricing is BS too.

DisGal

I guess I'm in the minority - I don't think $30 is way overpriced for a dinner buffet. Maybe its because where I live they charge way more than that for a breakfast/brunch buffet (usually betwen $40-$60/per person).

HouCuseChickie

I guess I'm in the minority - I don't think $30 is way overpriced for a dinner buffet. Maybe its because where I live they charge way more than that for a breakfast/brunch buffet (usually betwen $40-$60/per person).

I agree. We frequent Vegas from time to time and the good buffets there are all on par with Disney buffet prices. Many of the Vegas buffets have dropped their prices by $10-20 pp since Vegas is really hurting, but I know we've spent more than $30 pp at Vegas buffets in the past. And maybe I'm a food snob :shrug: but we've found the cheaper buffets are often...well...:hurl: to be quite frank. We are doing a number of character meals on our upcoming trip- making Boma one of our cheaper meals.

materbuddy

Boma is so worth it. The pricing I saw was only $26.99 for adult and $12.99 for kids. Either way Boma is one of the least expensive buffets on property.

Pioneer Hall

I was at Boma 2 weekends ago and it was $34.99 a person, not too bad with the TiW but I sure hate paying 18% tip for a buffet.

That price included the peak period surcharge. It is 30.99 when you aren't in peak periods.

Also, if you look at the true value of a buffet compared to a sit down WDW restaurant, I think you really come out ahead for 30 dollars. You need to think of a buffet as a complete meal with appetizer, entree, dessert, and drink. If you were to go to any sit down restaurant on property and enjoy all of that it would cost much more than 31 dollars.

dreamfinder

I was at Boma 2 weekends ago and it was $34.99 a person, not too bad with the TiW but I sure hate paying 18% tip for a buffet.

The 18% tip is kinda high, but I have always found the wait staff to be prompt and attentive there.

That price included the peak period surcharge. It is 30.99 when you aren't in peak periods.

Also, if you look at the true value of a buffet compared to a sit down WDW restaurant, I think you really come out ahead for 30 dollars. You need to think of a buffet as a complete meal with appetizer, entree, dessert, and drink. If you were to go to any sit down restaurant on property and enjoy all of that it would cost much more than 31 dollars.

Very true. If the quality of the food at a buffet is high like it is at Boma you can definitely come out ahead. Especially if you say eat a late breakfast and then no lunch and then mow down for dinner. Ends up saving you money.

It also depends on what you want to eat. The ability to taste 40-50 different things is awesome. I usually clear 3-4 plates and 4 or 5 half bowls of soup. Way more than I normally eat. The food and atmosphere isn't anywhere near Jiko, but there you can spend the same amount for a single item. And don't forget Zebra domes. A six pack at Mara is what, 6 bucks? I could easily make up a bunch of the cost there alone. ; )

worldfanatic

I'm not a buffet person. If I pay that kind of money, I like the experience of ordering the food, and having it served to me.

Jiko and Sanaa are 2 of my favorite dining spots in all of WDW. And AKL is right there with Boardwalk as my favorite resort.
But on my future stays, I doubt I'll ever eat at Boma again. I hoped the unique food would make up for it being a buffet..........but no.

If you're a buffet person though, most people rave about it.

Dwarful

Our trip in July saw a serious decline in buffet quality. We didn't eat at Boma's but after our last trip we won't be doing dinner at Chef Mickey's anymore...it was actually the first meal we ate at WDW in our fifteen years of marriage where we were actually sort of 'grossed out' by the buffet.

We are AP holders but don't do enough sit downs on a trip for the TiW card to be of benefit to us.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom