Body Wars

petersenjp

Original Poster
I maybe beating a dead horse, but does anyone else miss Body Wars? I miss it. Even though it was old technology, it was a classic! This was one "thrill" ride my grandfather could handle, and he absolutely loved it. I know the trend now is bigger faster, pushing people and technology to the limits, but dang, this really was a ride the most (and I do say most) could ride. I know Star Tours is about the same, but something always seems to be missing from that ride. Maybe just the legacy of body wars over rides star tours. I am not sure....

RIP...Body Wars, you will be missed!

Since1976

BODY WARS was the biggest anticlimax for me when I first rode it in 1990. The line snaked into the open area of the Pavilion and seemed to take an hour, and the ride itself felt like a seizure.

So for me, it was pretty much a "pass" attraction from day one!

MissM

I remember when it was the new, big thing. It was the featured ride on the cover of the Epcot park map for awhile.

I never liked it as much as some of the other, now gone rides because it always made me a little urpy. The motion/film sync was never quite as smooth I don't think.
-m

petersenjp

Original Poster
I remember when it was the new, big thing. It was the featured ride on the cover of the Epcot park map for awhile.

I never liked it as much as some of the other, now gone rides because it always made me a little urpy. The motion/film sync was never quite as smooth I don't think.
-m

I totally agree, the film was always slightly off, but for some reason, it never bothered me, or maybe I just thought the feeling was suppose to be part of the ride...:lol:

Guess it is time to let the ride out to pasture!

figment1985

I remembered being scared of it as a child.... lol

But I do miss it and that whole part of Epcot.. it's an "old school" disney attraction.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I loved the ride as well, but I always thought that Elizabeth Shue should be taking me on an adventure in babysitting and not to a splinter in someone's finger! :lol:

wannab@dis

It was ok... but I never thought of it as a "classic" ride by no means. Honestly, I would take Star Tours of Body Wars any day. *shrug*

sbkline

Body Wars closed? When did this happen?

It was a decent ride....not one of my favorites by any means, but I will miss it nonetheless. Partly just because I am one of those sentimental old fools that hates to see change...especially because this is one of the many rides we did on our honeymoon, so it's almost like a part of our honeymoon is gone.

On the other hand, I don't want to be such a sucker for keeping things the way they are that I stand in the way of necessary progress and improvements.

But I can tell that ride was pretty old, because the actor that played the lead guy looks alot older and grayer now.

PhilharMagician

I know more people that got motion sick :hurl: on BW than MS. I personally liked it, but it was one of those rides that I would only hit if I was bored and didn't want to stand in another line for an hour.

LilDucky

I dont :lol:

It would give my whole family a headache, or an upset stomach, including my sister, who is a roller coaster junkie. She never gets sick on rides (she has ridden M:S twice in a row...and nothing), but this ride usually did the trick.

:hurl:

disneyfromvermo

enough

Honestly, it is not so much the age of the technology as it is the proliferation. The same basic attraction (each with a different theme) is seen in not only Star Tours but also two attractions at Universal (Back to the Future and Jimmy Neutron's Blast). It is also used in Sea World (Wild Arctic). Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Body Wars but the last time I rode it, it left me with that "more of the same" kind of feeling. I think the next iteration of this should be to combine the simulator technology with a 3-D environment. I know this is similar to the Spider Man ride but the similator would be a different kind of effect.

kcnole

On the other hand, I don't want to be such a sucker for keeping things the way they are that I stand in the way of necessary progress and improvements.

The only problem is that it apparently wasn't standing in the way of progress or improvements. That whole pavilion is just sitting there closed up and useless right now. I wouldn't mind it so much if something was actually scheduled to replace it. But right now it's just a blight on Futureworld's landscaping.

sbkline

I dont :lol:

It would give my whole family a headache, or an upset stomach, including my sister, who is a roller coaster junkie. She never gets sick on rides (she has ridden M:S twice in a row...and nothing), but this ride usually did the trick.

:hurl:

Maybe it wasn't the motion so much that made her sick, but the thought that she was inside someone's blood, looking at his heart and seeing a splinter inside his finger. :lol:

sbkline

The only problem is that it apparently wasn't standing in the way of progress or improvements. That whole pavilion is just sitting there closed up and useless right now. I wouldn't mind it so much if something was actually scheduled to replace it. But right now it's just a blight on Futureworld's landscaping.

They didn't close the whole pavillion down did they? Isn't that the same building where Ellen's Energy Adventure was? And cranium command?

MKCP 1985

I don't miss it either. Spending all that money to remove a splinter - bureaucratic medicine of the future at its worst! Now, if they'd gone after a tapeworm - that could have been an ADVENTURE!

Seriously, who wants to go to Walt Disney World to voyage through the blood stream? That idea got the green light, but EPCOT can't get decent new attraction in the World Showcase? :brick:

:lol: :wave:

kcnole

They didn't close the whole pavillion down did they? Isn't that the same building where Ellen's Energy Adventure was? And cranium command?

Ellen's Energy Pavilion is it's own pavilion to itself and is right next to the Wonder's of Life Pavilion. As for WoL, yes the entire pavilion is currently closed. It hasn't been officially closed as it still shows up on the website as seasonal, but it hasn't been open in a long time. My guess is they're waiting to see if they can get a sponsor for it and don't want to demo the building until they have plans for what would go their next. So for now, it just sits there empty.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom