News Bob Iger is back! Chapek is out!!

Slpy3270

Jrb1979

I have yet to pay full any streaming. I pay for my internet but use free services. For sports I find other streaming means to watch them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not helped that he's burning money on Apple TV, which isn't even on Android devices and has barely anything worth watching (apart from Friday Night Baseball, but who watches baseball on a Friday?).
You have to believe that it’s just a “placeholder” to have a leg in the game due to their primary product…but not intended to ramp up until they decide to.

It was an interesting plan until now

_caleb

That’s adds up to not good enough.

For less content…in the end
One of the biggest complaints about cable is "I pay that much for a bunch of stuff I'll never watch!" And now most smart TVs ship with free access to a bunch of web channels.

Netflix dumped a bunch of garbage on their platform just to bulk it up, and audiences responded by unsubscribing.

What people are looking for (and will pay for) is curation. In this age of too much, subscribers will pay for the platform that builds trust by consistently offering content to subscribers enjoy. The more a platform knows about you, the smarter its recommendations will be.

lazyboy97o

What people are looking for (and will pay for) is curation. In this age of too much, subscribers will pay for the platform that builds trust by consistently offering content to subscribers enjoy. The more a platform knows about you, the smarter its recommendations will be.
Except that nobody has made this work, especially Disney. The algorithms suck and everyone knows it. They’re not getting better and the only thing recommendation endgames seem to be good at is radicalizing people. The content isn’t being made in this way and there’s no clear path to getting there. There’s a reason services, largely audio, have started promoting human curated content.

How long ago did people start commenting on how they remember when MTV showed music videos? It’s very much the same promise that was made with cable and all of the distinct, niche channels that still saw large scale homogenization.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One of the biggest complaints about cable is "I pay that much for a bunch of stuff I'll never watch!" And now most smart TVs ship with free access to a bunch of web channels.

Netflix dumped a bunch of garbage on their platform just to bulk it up, and audiences responded by unsubscribing.

That was a huge problem with cable…and that they simply always charged too much. From day 1…

But I think the problem with standalone streams is that the watcher is trained to look for new and increasing volumes of content at all times…and you can’t provide without massive losses or ebbs and flows that aren’t Financially stable.

She Hulk blew…and they centered a A couple of months around it…

Same with book of boba…

Etc etc etc

Your argument is “because it’s Disney”??

Well then the same point I’ve been saying for 3 years still applies: you better make a lot more or convince me people will pay a lot for Peter Pan and lady and the tramp…

And when still…avatar has done great, solely produced by James Cameron…but the marvel tent poles aren’t drawing people in the theaters as well…momentum is slowing

Haven’t had a big Pixar tent pole hit since when?

It’s been going on 7 years since there’s been a passable Star Wars…as evidenced by them giving up on movies.
Star Wars…is that even conceivable?

Gotta bring some more thunder here than “brand loyalty”
That’s sounds like somebody named “Bob”

Last edited:

LSLS

Well that is kinda the dumbest thing ever, isn’t it?

People bitched for 30 years about not wanting to pay for cable bundles…so along comes a method to reduce the cost to the consumer and eliminate the frustration of commercials.

They love it…get the scissors. But they don’t want to end paying the same or more directly to the networks!!! That wasn’t the desire and that’s what the “content” creators have promised. It’s patently stupid …with the advent of smart devices and high speed connectivity…people are already paying 3x what they used to complain just for cable…
And all the other bills didn’t go away either. They went up.

As as far as content cost goes…how stupid are these people? Did they think actors were gonna work cheap? Like 26 episodes a year at $15,000 a pop?
Or that cg designers were gonna work for $11.50 an hour because the show was gonna go to stream instead of to AMC?

There’s a major logic failure here. None of it makes sense. Bob Iger is at the head of this army of dunces

Gonna have to find another way

Honestly I don't think the commercials were the issue. The issue was people not wanting to pay $175/month for cable when they have time to watch about 1.5 hours of TV a day. I don't need 350 channels, just a few that I can watch getting ready in the morning. I think these companies have dropped the ball on what's needed. Make it $5-$7 a month, keep commercials in play. If you ramp up to $15-$20, all that is going to happen is the tech savvy group who figured out the savings in dropping cable will find new ways to skirt the insane costs.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Honestly I don't think the commercials were the issue. The issue was people not wanting to pay $175/month for cable when they have time to watch about 1.5 hours of TV a day. I don't need 350 channels, just a few that I can watch getting ready in the morning. I think these companies have dropped the ball on what's needed. Make it $5-$7 a month, keep commercials in play. If you ramp up to $15-$20, all that is going to happen is the tech savvy group who figured out the savings in dropping cable will find new ways to skirt the insane costs.
I bet we’re both half right/wrong

There are now 25+!years of humans designed never to watch a commercial. I’m sure their research knows this. And rising

Problem.

But also every guy In LA wants his cut…so the results are the same monthly bills for the same amount of viewing time and the user as to “think” their way though them all.

I think you’d agree one of the main appeals of tv…other than it being indoors and temperature regulated…is it’s mindless.

_caleb

Except that nobody has made this work, especially Disney. The algorithms suck and everyone knows it. They’re not getting better and the only thing recommendation endgames seem to be good at is radicalizing people. The content isn’t being made in this way and there’s no clear path to getting there. There’s a reason services, largely audio, have started promoting human curated content.

How long ago did people start commenting on how they remember when MTV showed music videos? It’s very much the same promise that was made with cable and all of the distinct, niche channels that still saw large scale homogenization.
I’d say Facebook has done a pretty good job of making it “work.” But your point it taken that curation by humans has a special element to it.

Either way, recommendations work better the more a platform knows about you. And Disney is trying to learn a LOT about you.

They needed (and still need) diverse content so that they have something you’ll like.

MTV was before there were options. Now there are too many options.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’d say Facebook has done a pretty good job of making it “work.” But your point it taken that curation by humans has a special element to it.

Either way, recommendations work better the more a platform knows about you. And Disney is trying to learn a LOT about you.

They needed (and still need) diverse content so that they have something you’ll like.

…I think it’s hard to equate what Facebook does with much of anything…

The fact people still to this day don’t know what exactly happened makes the comp difficult

UNCgolf

I'm not sure about that for Facebook. Facebook shows me all kinds of random stuff that doesn't interest me in the slightest, to the point that I wonder how in the world they ever got the idea it would be something that attracts my attention or drives engagement.

That said, they did seem to do a decent job of funneling people into ever more radical political positions.

_caleb

That was a huge problem with cable…and that they simply always charged too much. From day 1…

But I think the problem with standalone streams is that the watcher is trained to look for new and increasing volumes of content at all times…and you can’t provide without massive losses or ebbs and flows that aren’t Financially stable.

She Hulk blew…and they centered a AOC yoke of months around it…

Same with book of boba…

Etc etc etc

Your argument is “because it’s Disney”??

Well then the same point I’ve been saying for 3 years still applies: you better make a lot more or convince me people will pay a lot for Peter Pan and lady and the tramp…

And when still…avatar has done great, solely produced by James Cameron…but the marvel tent poles aren’t drawing people in the theaters as well…momentum is slowing

Haven’t had a big Pixar tent pole hit since when?

It’s been going on 7 years since there’s been a passable Star Wars…as evidenced by them giving up on movies.
Star Wars…is that even conceivable?

Gotta bring some more thunder here than “brand loyalty”
That’s sounds like somebody named “Bob”
No- I’m not saying Disney is doing a good job of it. I’m saying that many, many D+ subscribers do so out of some degree of “trust.”

You’re right that they need more content to keep up. But if we’ve learned anything from YouTube and TikTok, that production values don’t matter as much as they used to.

BTW, the stuff you don’t like probably isn’t targeted at you. They were taking you for granted and effectively trying to broaden the fan base. Not sure it worked, but the fandom is definitely fragmented.

Jrb1979

The problem now is when you add the multiple streaming services most people have you are getting close to $100 a month. You really aren't saving money in the end.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
No- I’m not saying Disney is doing a good job of it. I’m saying that many, many D+ subscribers do so out of some degree of “trust.”

You’re right that they need more content to keep up. But if we’ve learned anything from YouTube and TikTok, that production values don’t matter as much as they used to.

BTW, the stuff you don’t like probably isn’t targeted at you. They were taking you for granted and effectively trying to broaden the fan base. Not sure it worked, but the fandom is definitely fragmented.
I agree…and that’s why they’re in trouble. They’ll defect and soon if the trust fades.

Wall Street knows this too…that’s why they called BS that literally lead to a revolt against Disney in the last 6 months.

It’s most about D+.

They better deliver and lost the benefit of time.

Here’s what I’m guessing: during the Covid disruption, the smart move would have been to make a lot of content…to get a couple of years ahead of it…
But I’d bet dimes to dollars Slaphead canceled or blocked a lot for temporary cost savings and now they’re crossed up?

Jrb1979

I think you have way to much faith in Disney IP to what you think it can do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom